JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Coko from swv on not being in the men in Black music video

• Admin

Came across this and thought this was interesting...

UrbanBridgez.com We’ve talked about this, so I want to finally give you the chance to address it. Surprisingly many people don’t know it was you who sang the hook to Will Smith’s “Men in Black,” but those of us who did always wondered why you were not in the video? Tone & Poke of Trackmasters did an interview with Complex a few years ago and said you declined to do the video because you thought Will Smith was wack, in so many words?

Coko: I really don’t appreciate Tone, Poke or whomever else saying that. Because I’ve never had this discussion with Tone or Poke! That I said Will Smith was wack or implying it, because Will Smith was a friend of mine. What happened was my record label (RCA) wouldn’t allow me to be in the video. Back in the day if you remember SWV was never really featured in anybody else’s video. They would always say no, they wouldn’t allow us to do anything else. So that’s why I wasn’t in the video. I would have loved to be in that video because it was a huge song. It had nothing to do with me thinking Will Smith was wack, so Tone and Poke, you’re wack for saying that! Where are they now? Don’t worry, I’ll wait (both laugh)!