JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Will Smith to record new music for 'Aladdin'!

Ale

On 5/19/2019 at 10:49 AM, Hero1 said:

4 new rap tracks from Will this week!

Well...they are not really rap tracks! The Aladdin soundtrack is out. Will has four songs on it. 

1. Arabian Nights
2. Friend Like Me
3. Prince Ali
4. Friend Like Me (End Title) (Ft. DJ Khaled)

Only the song with DJ Khaled is a rap track, he is singing in the other ones. Just my opinion but I'm not feeling Arabian Nights at all. I do like the DJ Khaled track, kinda makes me wish he was on DJ Khaled's latest album.

Source: https://www.google.be/amp/hiphop-n-more.com/2019/05/will-smith-dj-khaled-friend-like-me-aladdin-soundtrack/amp/

“I went into the studio the first day and I really wanted to play with it to see if I could add something to it,” Smith said in the press release. “Literally 30 minutes in the studio, and started to play with the song [and] the 94/96 BPM range. That BPM range is right old school hip hop. So I grabbed The Honey Drippers ‘Impeach Your President’ and I had them throw that breakbeat under there. I messed around with that. And I messed around with Erik B. & Rakim’s ‘I Know You Got Soul’ under ‘Friend Like Me.’ And I was like, ‘Oh my god, I’m home!’ I started playing with the hip hop flavor, and the Genie was really born in my mind from the music.”

Yes! This is perfect for the end credits. DJ Khaled is mad annoying, so I'm glad that he definitely took a back seat on this.  The music definitely has a late 90's/early 2000's feel to it.  The way he says "never had a friend like me" feels like he borrowed from 2Pac's "Never Had A Friend Like Me." I get the feeling his going to let Aladdin be a vehicle to finally get his own music out.

I worked through these on YouTube yesterday and while happy he’s released new music, and never knew he has those kinda vocals at his disposal, was a bit like, because it wasn’t new content and just a rework/cover type deal, didn’t feel overly fresh. Then I heard the End Title track and yeah, that ish is dooooope. His flow was silkier than ever IMO. Loving the tone and voice changes too.