JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Why Hip Hop Hates Will Smith: The Darth Vader Theory

Da Brakes

I've never understood why the majority of people don't respect Will musically. I mean, is it because they don't like his family and in the Internet era they share their frustrations posting comments which discredit him? Have people who make those comments ACTUALLY listened to his music? Or is it because he's still considered a "soft" rapper? 

Sure it's a shame Will hasn't dropped an album since 2005, but that album was full of songs which lyrically were awesome. The track itself 'Lost & Found' (for example) should be reason enough for him to be more respected (Grammys apart).

But, to be fair, I'd say all the hate Will gets affects both his Hollywood and music career. So maybe the real reason is just "ignorance" or because people feel good when they criticise something they don't like. Which is sad.

word the hating is really out of ignorance since the JJFP albums and albums like Lost & Found are more lyrical than a lot of the hardcore rappers they praise

well there's now the 35 and under millennial generation who only knows will as an actor since we're closing in on 13 years since lost & found they're too young to remember but the sad thing is that they don't know the history of hip hop before 2000 in general, they think rappers like 50 cent, jay z, lil wayne, and nelly are pioneers, they don't know jjfp, big daddy kane, rakim, and krs one!

Edited by bigted

i know it's real talk but real hip hop is about balance, will smith is just as important as 2pac that's why they both should be in the top 10,  just like i think mc hammer is just as intelligent as chuck d, this hating on clean rappers need to stop....

i'm working on a special playlist of will's 50 most lyrical songs(in honor of jeff's birthday tomorrow n his 50th in september) that could be shared with all of his haters since it's basically hate-proof that shows why he's lyrically harder than who most of them in their top 5s

Edited by bigted

here's the playlist i made called "fresh prince 50 lyrical classics", it was tough to narrow down to just 50 songs he put out so much fire that i added songs like "getting jiggy with it", "black suits comin", and "men in black" as bonus songs, this playlist could actually put fresh prince in GOAT conversation and the HOF if so called music experts actually paid attention to it because i don't even think the so called legends like Pac and Jay Z have this many classics....

Edited by bigted

in my humble opinion the most lyrical jazzy jeff/fresh prince/will smith albums are he's the dj i'm the rapper, code red, and willennium sincethose are the toughest to narrow down to which songs were the most lyrical since there's so many strong rhymes on those records....