JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Great interview with Jeff

Hero1

I love this interview. The cool thing about Jeff's interviews is that there always seems to be at least one thing we've never heard before.  "Live At Union Square" has been talked about before, but it was good to hear him talk about it, rather than read about it. Hearing him talk about DJ's parties at Philly was kind of funny. I never thought about how the music impacts the behavior of the party.

It's interesting that Jeff is the one who prompted FP to mellow out his delivery on "Summertime," which went on to impact many of his songs since then.  Their exit from Jive is really interesting. It's crazy that they treated JJ+FP so poorly in the end, but didn't make it easy for them to leave. It makes me wonder if Will is so loaded these days that he can simply buy back their catalogue. With Jive being long gone, it truly is only business at this point. 

Lastly, I love that they made it so that you can download the interview.

thanks for this Tim, will listen to it sometime this weekend!

• Admin
9 hours ago, JumpinJack AJ said:

I love this interview. The cool thing about Jeff's interviews is that there always seems to be at least one thing we've never heard before.  "Live At Union Square" has been talked about before, but it was good to hear him talk about it, rather than read about it. Hearing him talk about DJ's parties at Philly was kind of funny. I never thought about how the music impacts the behavior of the party.

It's interesting that Jeff is the one who prompted FP to mellow out his delivery on "Summertime," which went on to impact many of his songs since then.  Their exit from Jive is really interesting. It's crazy that they treated JJ+FP so poorly in the end, but didn't make it easy for them to leave. It makes me wonder if Will is so loaded these days that he can simply buy back their catalogue. With Jive being long gone, it truly is only business at this point. 

Lastly, I love that they made it so that you can download the interview.

I found the stuff with Jive really interesting. To add to the backstory, back in 1996 Will went to Jive with Men in Black and they didn't like it. They didn't think anyone would buy a jazzy jeff and fresh prince album anymore. So Will went and signed a deal with Sony. Then Jive said hey you had an original 7 album contract with us as jazzy jeff and fresh prince so Jive sued Will and Jeff for not honouring their contract. Then it sounds like as part of the settlement Will and Jeff lost all rights to their backcatalogue so they receive nothing when summertime or boom is played on the radio which sucks! Obviously we know Big Willie Style went on to become one of the highest rap albums of all time so the people at Jive got that one seriously wrong!

That was a great interview. So angry for them about losing the rights to thier JJFP songs. Losing the royalties suck but what's worse is they don't own the best song they ever made. 

Never knew all that about live at union square, I used to have the full version somewhere but it got lost on a computer. 

I'm familiar with the story of how Will took "Men In Black " to them. It was funny that they then had to work with Columbia to put "Men In Black" and "Just Cruisin'" on JJ+FP's "Greatest Hits" album. Those singles helped bring the package together (along with Yo! Home To Bel-Air, Lovely Daze, and the Megamix). It makes you wonder what Big Willie Style would have looked like on Jive. Jive had only started dabbling in pop music, so they were still primarily a Hip-Hop and R&B label. Would we have gotten "Big Willie Style" or would we have gotten a JJ+FP album?

"instead of getting a gold watch we got a lawsuit". Everyone involved in the music business has lots of stories to tell and it always has the same message: the record companies rape the artists. They artists earn their money with touring and having other deals...imagine, just like jeff said, you sell 10 million units worth 100 million bucks and both JJ+FP receive less than 3 million...that's sad

I'd love to hear more about this. It is such an interesting topic and time for JJ+FP. It looks like any royalties from the newly remastered He's the DJ album won't go to Will and Jeff. That's super sad. It probably explains why there hasn't been anything JJFP music related released directly from them. It was always Jive riding the backs of Will's solo albums in which they would release JJFP compilation albums. I wonder why Will hasn't bought their catalog back.