JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

He's the DJ, I'm The Rapper (Extended 2 CD Edition)

Vipa

https://www.amazon.com/Hes-DJ-Rapper-Expanded-2-CD/dp/B073W7HQRL

Randomly came across this tonight, looks like it came out earlier this month...

When He’s the DJ, I’m The Rapper originally came out as the first-ever hip-hop double album, it clocked in at just over 82 minutes. Rather than issue it as a 2-CD set, Jive shortened the album for CD release. In the U.S., one of the songs was removed from the album while eight others were presented in shorter versions. To date, only rare 1988 German pressings of the CD contain the original, unedited LP versions of the songs, although even that version left off the last two tracks due to the same space issues. Ah, you know…labels just don’t understand. So now, on the eve of the record's 30th anniversary, it’s time to set the record straight. Real Gone Music’s new, 2-CD expanded version includes the COMPLETE He’s the DJ, I’m The Rapper album for the first time ever on CD, taken from the original master tapes. But that’s not good enough for us…we’ve also added 11 bonus tracks featuring 12” single mixes, extended remixes, etc. totaling 54 minutes—in fact, the four instrumental versions and the live version of “Brand New Funk” have never been on CD, either! Sean Brennan at Battery Studios in New York remasters, Aaron Kannowski supplies liner notes, and we’ve included original album and 12" artwork as well. One of the crucial albums in hip-hop’s move to the mainstream, finally done right!

Disc: 1

1. Nightmare on My Street
  2. Here We Go Again
  3. Brand New Funk
  4. Time to Chill
  5. Charlie Mack (The First Out the Limo)
  6. As We Go
  7. Parents Just Don't Understand
  8. Pump Up the Bass
  9. Let's Get Busy Baby
  10. Another Special Announcement
  11. Live at Union Square, November 1986
  12. D.J. on the Wheels
  13. My Buddy
  14. Rhythm Trap--House Party Style

Disc: 2

1. He's the D.J., I'm the Rapper
  2. Hip Hop Dancer's Theme
  3. Jazzy's in the House
  4. Human Video Game
  5. Parents Just Don't Understand (Single Edit)
  6. Parents Just Don't Understand (Instrumental)
  7. Nightmare on My Street (Single Edit)
  8. Nightmare on My Street (Instrumental)
  9. Brand New Funk (Extended Remix)
  10. Brand New Funk (Live at Nassau Coliseum)
  11. Brand New Funk (Single Edit)
  12. Brand New Funk (Instrumental)
  13. Girls Ain't Nothing But Trouble (1988 Extended Remix)
  14. Girls Ain't Nothing But Trouble (1988 Single Version)
  15. Girls Ain't Nothing But Trouble (Instrumental)

Doesn't seem to be anything we haven't heard before but the description does say its been remastered and it comes with some extra art work. 

i'll definately get that, he's the dj i'm the rapper's in my top 5 hip hop albums ever

i'm surprised that the expanded album was released on CD and not on spotify, youtube, and apple music digitally, that's a rarity these days...

• Admin
57 minutes ago, pudge104 said:

It’s been out a couple of weeks.  I got the cd when it came out, vinyl is being released next month.  First time the whole album is on cd, unedited.  It sounds great. 

How good is the remastering? Everything sound crisp?

well i was reading on amazon that if you're an amazon prime member you could stream this album for free, figure to give the heads up

i'm gonna order myself a copy off of amazon by end of the month...

I recently got it and have been listening to it a lot. The sound is definitely great. Some songs grab my ear more than others, appreciating the remaster. I like that the album was remastered in one of the studios they recorded it in. In terms of the music, I just wish they didn't put the alternate versions of "Girls..."  Yeah, it was remixed and re-recorded the same hear, but there is a Danny D remix (and extended and radio version) of "Parents..." that would have been a better fit.  It would have also been nice if they released an instrumental version of all of the songs. There is a rare 1988 vinyl release of the instrumentals that I have, but the record is slightly warped, so it would be great to have them on CD and remastered since this release is kind of a dream come true.

All of the pictures from the original release are in the insert, plus pictures of the cover of all single covers. Above the "thank you's" they have individual pictures of the trio that I've never seen before. In addition to the original notes on the CD insert, there is a little write up on the album which is a great, but short read. If you're thinking about getting this, stop thinking and GET IT!

that's an awesome review AJ! hopefully this album has enough buzz to get the other JJFP albums remastered...

It's be great if all of the albums got a remastered and expanded treatment. I kind of doubt a lot of people know about this though. We'll need to get it some sales in hopes of that happening.