JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Was the Fiesta Remix a flop?

So uhm...am I the only one who is kinda disappointed with the damage the Fiesta Remix did on the charts? When it was released I thought it would blow up or at least make into clubs or something. Or that people would be talking about it. But all of that didn't really happen. I haven't even heard it once on the radio here in Belgium. So is it fair to say that it was a flop? 

i don't know if i'd call a video 8 million views a flop but by will's standards it might be but most hip hop artists these days especially those from his era would kill to have 8 million views for their songs today

Yeh, just a tester, and its the type of song that would either be massive, or just stay on the club scene.

However if it ended up blowing up, i bet Will would have jumped on the hype train and got recording more consistently. 

13 hours ago, bigted said:

i don't know if i'd call a video 8 million views a flop but by will's standards it might be but most hip hop artists these days especially those from his era would kill to have 8 million views for their songs today

Yeah I know it had a lot of views and that's cool and all... but I kinda hoped it would blow up and would lead to new songs. Now we are back to hoping and waiting for new material or a tour...

• Admin

Pretty much. It didn't do enough for Will to stay true to his word and release an album and do a tour. If it properly charted I bet we would have got more music but Will seems terrified of releasing any music. The fact that he has signed up to do 3 movies this year says it all.

I don't think it helped that it was a remix of a track released 6 months prior by a relatively underground act.

If it had dropped at the same time as the original then more of a push for it may have occured.

will needs to release a proper hip hop single with jeff to make a true comeback, i simply don't think that song was good enough quite frankly and the fact that it has more views than a lot of the best quality JJFP tracks shows you the state of music as well

Edited by bigted

at the time of the song being released he should've put out a mixtape on youtube of some of the music he's been working on to get more of a buzz going but instead of doing that he promoted concussion and signs up for more movies, really his priorities aren't in the right place

The song was bad in every possible aspect and lacked all commercial/clubbing potential except for Will being a name in it. However I refuse to believe that he really thought it was gonna be a big hit... seems like something he did more for the fun of it.

If you think that this track wasn't big success for what it was, you really don't understand the modern music industry. Millions of clicks, multiple appearances on all the big blogs, a Beats1 World Record - that's big. Single charts are largely for acts catering to soccer moms and tweens.

Edited by Turntable

2 hours ago, Turntable said:

If you think that this track wasn't big success for what it was, you really don't understand the modern music industry. Millions of clicks, multiple appearances on all the big blogs, a Beats1 World Record - that's big. Single charts are largely for acts catering to soccer moms and tweens.

I don't agree with that statement. Single charts are still a big deal. I'm talking about iTunes downloads and other digital downloads...it didn't do much.

And since when is a Beats 1 World Record a big thing? I don't see what's so special about it. 

Sure, 8 million people saw the video on YouTube and 3 million listened to the official audio on Youtube. It might be a lot but if you compare it to other artists it's nothing. Rihanna had more than 260 million views with her video for "Work". G-eazy (who's not on the same level as Will when it comes to popularity) had more than 100 million views on Youtube for his single "Me, Myself and I". I'm just putting these number up here to put the "millions of clicks" in perspective.

Maybe I'm just being hard on Will because I expected more...

the average JJFP fan that bought Will's best albums back in the days probably hardly goes online these days compared to the average ADD teen that listens to Rihanna and lives online all the time so it's hard to compare the two, it's a generation gap but Will could still have more success compared to most artists from his era

only because he failed to capitalize on it. no one really knew who the original artist was and not many people heard the original song. Will Smith coming back got that song a lot of shine. in the weeks following he did a lot of talk shows and interviews about new music. everyone was excited for it. there were articles written about and several major websites.....and then he...did nothing. he let the remix die down and stopped talking about music. people lost interest.