JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

'Bright'

Ale

• Admin

We've rounded up the best critic slams of Smith and the fantasy-action feature directed by David Ayer and written by Max Landis, which begins streaming Friday.

Forbes:

"Congratulations, Netflix! You can make a visually grotesque, dreadfully dull and hopelessly convoluted would-be franchise action movie just as well as the stereotypical Hollywood machine! If anything, Bright is a giant Christmas/Hanukkah gift from Netflix to the major studios. It shows the streaming giant falling on its face in its attempts to replicate the so-called Hollywood blockbuster."

Cinemablend:

"The problem is that this richly-constructed world often comes at the expense of characters ... Will Smith is more or less on autopilot, doing what everyone pretty much expects from a Will Smith action movie these days. In fact, if the name 'Ward' wasn't directly printed on the uniform of Smith's character, we would've just assumed that we were looking at Suicide Squad's Floyd Lawton."

IndieWire:

A movie that "boasts all the production value of an episode of Charmed, Netflix’s first mega-budget film effort starts with a potentially compelling premise that never gets off the ground." 

Rolling Stone:

"You'll get lots of violence and colorful threats and confusing shoot-outs, but you're not going to get much meaning." 

The Wrap:

"Astoundingly bad in virtually every way, Bright shares in common several of the shortcomings of Ayer’s previous film, including conspicuous evidence of desperate efforts to cobble its under-explained and yet somehow overcomplicated mythology into something coherent."

And: "Smith seems lost here as Daryl, even as he retreads his wiseacre pose from films like Independence Day and especially Men in Black."

The New York Times:

"(Ayer) strayed into empty superhero theatrics with the slapdash Suicide Squad (co-starring Mr. Smith) and again dilutes his integrity with Mr. Smith’s lightweight sitcom likability. You’ll find beatings, shootouts, car crashes, awkward analogies and a measure of buddy badinage in Bright, but true enchantment is in short supply."

Anyone who listens to critics and makes a judgement based on them is a moron. 

They slammed Concussion, mainly based on the huge NFL following and not wanting the truth to be told. Will was impeccable and the movie was accurately brilliant in every sense it should have been. Will deserved every inch on that Golden Globe nod and should have been nominated for an Oscar.

They slammed Suicide Squad, mainly because there’s a Hollywood vendetta against DC, they seem to be up Marvels rear end so much if they sneeze it’s coming out of Iron Mans nose. But, along with Margot, Will was the shining light from the movie. That rarely gets mentioned. 

They slammed Collateral Beauty, but again, Will was impeccable at becoming a father that’s lost his child and capturing the essence and emotion that father would be feeling. Every bit as good as he was in Pursuit of Happyness. 

It seems like Hollywood are canning these movies, or pigeon holing them because they don’t fit the criteria of an award winner. Casey Affleck swept the awards, Manchester by the Sea wasn’t a great movie, yet Casey won awards based on HIS performance. But even then, I fail to see how Denzel or Andrew Garfield weren’t front runners and winner for their performances in Fences and Hacksaw Ridge respectively. 

This is because critics aren’t FACTS, they are OPINIONS. 

F critics, F award shows, watch the film and make your own judgement and definitely stop being happy his movies can or critiquing them just because you want a new album. You’ll never enjoy them if you go in with other people’s opinions and negative thought of your own of where his career should be. 

Edited by Big Willie

Go to RT and see the Bright audience score and then check the audience score of The Last Jedi...  let that sink in.  Fck the critics it's the same crew that praised Harvey Bathrobe Weinstein for the past 30 years Fck them all this whole business is full of ****  there I said it. Go Will! Love your work since I was a kid and I'm sure I'll enjoy Bright as well. 

• Admin

Okay so I’ve seen Bright. I think Will is in good in it and so is Joel Edgerton - I actually felt sorry for Jacoby... but the other characters/actors in the movie would barely be passable in a d grade horror movie... and the villain like in suicide squad is appalling... and the story is completely nonsensical! (She’s after the wand!) is basically the whole plot...

you guys might not put any weight on critics but suicide squad and bright are nowhere near Enemy of the State, 6 Degrees, Bad Boys 2, Men in Black, Hitch and I Am Legend. I seriously don’t think Wills been in a good movie in 10 years. I only watch his movies now because he’s in them but otherwise I wouldn’t bother. I think his movie career is effectively dead at this point.

I wouldn’t call a persons acting career dead when in the last 2 years he’s been nominated for a golden globe, starred in a top 10 grossing movie of 2016, that also won an Oscar, all be it for makeup. I’d say he’s not making the movies he used to so people are put off, but as an actor, he’s the best he’s ever been. Just strikes me that everyone thinks The Fresh Prince couldn’t possibly be an a grade actor.

• Admin
2 hours ago, Big Willie said:

I wouldn’t call a persons acting career dead when in the last 2 years he’s been nominated for a golden globe, starred in a top 10 grossing movie of 2016, that also won an Oscar, all be it for makeup. 

Anyone under 25 is not interested in a movie from Will Smith... people saw suicide squad because of Margot Robbie and the joker... if bright was released in cinemas it would be another box office failure...it’s like when you see a great actor be in a string of bad movies and then they start to appear in straight to DVD type material. The fact is Will no longer is the drawer he was in the 90s because of continued poor choices in movies...

I'll watch it over Christmas. The trailer looked decent. But we'll see i guess.

If Will goes into the studio with Jeff in January, then Bright will be the last thing on ours and his mind.

1 hour ago, Hero1 said:

Anyone under 25 is not interested in a movie from Will Smith... people saw suicide squad because of Margot Robbie and the joker... if bright was released in cinemas it would be another box office failure...it’s like when you see a great actor be in a string of bad movies and then they start to appear in straight to DVD type material. The fact is Will no longer is the drawer he was in the 90s because of continued poor choices in movies...

A lot of great, successful actors go into that stigma though. Morgan Freeman and Sam Jackson to be exact. Will is 50 nearly, he’s not aiming at the under 25s anymore, he’s aiming to be a better actor, which he is. You’ve gotta remember Will had some blockbusters on some pretty bad films, WWW, Hancock etc. He made bad movies while being successful in the box office, it’s just his roles aren’t blockbuster worthy. 

Netflix won’t give a damn about the critics if the public like and watch it, which seems to be the case. 

The movie was weird but fun, some great action scenes and comedy. I put no attention to the critics this is 90% by the public and 33% by critics on rotten tomatoes. F them critics, I watch movies to have fun and this one was right on point 

Watched it last night, thought it was brilliant. 

Wills best on screen chemistry since Tommy Lee Jones and a lot of hidden messages that can pertain to our lives now. I truly believe there’s a huge approach at this movie being about racism and prejudice. Is it Oscar worthy? No. Was it meant to be? Absolutely not. 

8.5/10

• Hero1 unpinned this topic