JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

18 Years Since Big Willie Style

bigted

Today is the 18 year anniversary of not only one of my favorite albums of all time but one of the main albums that got me into hip hop music, "Big Willie Style" by Will Smith aka Fresh Prince, I was a 12 year old 7th grader at the time in 1997 going to Central Regional Middle School and I remember receiving this album for Christmas that year, the first hip hop album I owned on CD. I previously had some LL Cool J, KRS  One, and Coolio albums on cassette but I was mostly into r&b back then like Boyz II Men, Blackstreet, Dru Hill, and Mariah Carey, this album changed my life forever, it may not be Will's best work, over the years  my favorites have beeen He's The DJ, I'm The Rapper, Code Red, and Willennium(which turned 16 last Monday along with another one of my favorites in hip hop Dr. Dre "2001") but like the 10 million+ who bought this album back then it has a special place in my heart and my album collection, this is a testiment to why he should be ranked among the greatest in hip hop music history as a true artist. This album is probably one of his most balanced of his career, that's why it touched so many people, there's so many favorite songs I have from memories of growing up in the Jersey Shore and listening to this album, but the one song that stands out over the years is "Just The Two Of Us" which is a sentimental song and an ode that I have with my papa who's now 81 years old and has dementia so it's bittersweet but I hold onto the positive memories through this song, that song actually motivated me among the most part in writing poetry and hip hop lyrics myself, god bless Will for being such a true artist, share your memories of the album below:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLx2R7zI9RUa8AFds1KmaZjNd8tPxiwW-N

• 11 months later...

It's now 19 years later so I bump up this post, would be nice to see more activity on this board again, I'm listening to the album today and reminiscing...well the album's now posted on youtube in whole so enjoy:

• 11 months later...

today's the 20th anniversary of this classic, would be nice to get some more activity on this board and get some good discussion on how this album impacted our lives...

yeah this album brings me back to a good time in my life like i mentioned, hopefully there will be more new music from JJFP soon enough

https://www.axs.com/will-smith-s-big-willie-style-turns-20-years-old-this-year-116273