JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Will has recorded 30 tracks, none with Jazzy Jeff

Hero1

• Admin

Anyone concerned with this? Will finally returns to music after 10 years and skips over his partner, who he undoubtedly has the most music chemistry with and produces the best music with. Jeff keeps Will on that hip hop track. Again in that interview Will is talking about working with young guys to give him inspiration. Sounds like when he did a whole album with Tra Knox and produced his worst ever album. Now Jeff is doing some european tour for 4 weeks I can't help but think, WIll is finished filming, he is music ready, please, please Jeff lock Will in your studio for a month and bang out some great Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince hip hop! I'm so disappointed they haven't even recorded any music yet. :pray:

The other thing that annoys me, Jeff is probably in the top 5 hip hop producers/beat makers of all time, yet Will worked with unknowns "the freshmen" for lost & found and again hasn't gone to Jeff for beats. Jeff needs to do the whole album!! Imagine Will over the beats of the dayne jordan album! Damn! come on JJFP, get your act together!

Edited by Hero1

Yeah, that's the main thing that has me scratching me head.  Kanye West, Drake, and Calvin Harris are not on Jeff's level, and they certainly don't support classic Hip-Hop based on the music they produce.  I feel like Jeff should be the first person he would go to, even if his intention is to collaborate with a few people.  I actually really like what The Freshmen did.  They sound was consistent, but all the songs sounded different.  They aren't on Jeff's level, but they definitely deserve props.

My take on it is that the 'Prince isn't trying to make a classic Hip-Hop album.  He wants to experiment.  He wants to do something that could somehow be accepted by radio without doing it JJ+FP style.  The "Fiesta" remix is the perfect example.  As an artist myself, it's hard to chastise him for wanting this and taking this approach, but the bottom line is, nobody is better than DJ Jazzy Jeff and nobody brings the best out of him like Jeff does.  A DJ Jazzy Jeff + Fresh Prince album is want I want more than anything.  That formula cannot be beaten.  The things that's strange to me, as that while so many Hip-Hop entertainers are looked at differently in their 40's, nobody would bat an eye at JJ+FP, but a Will Smith solo project that is catered to today's radio (if that's what he's going for), could actually be a little hard to swallow.

Jeff will be a part of it, as will plenty of other people. he's trying to take chances, he's trying to do something different. We've all been fans for years and one thing we know is he will never compromise who he is as a person or an artists for sales. I'm not concerned one bit. Jeff is and will always be his #1. they're going on tour this summer. Jeff will part of this album. Will may even be a part of Jeff's album...others will also be a part of it...

Also keep in mind, he said he recorded 30...and he only REALLY likes 6 or 7....he's trying different things. I respect him for that, 

When I read one of the interviews this also concerned. What did make me feel a bit better about it is that Jeff said that "we haven't started working on our stuff yet" which makes me think that they have something in the pipeline or that the intentions are for a JJFP project.
it would be great if after this album Will and Jeff do the tour and then get straight into a pure JJFP album.

I do agree though that Jeff is one of the best producers out there and is extremely underrated. I don't feel he ever gets props for his beat making skills or gets included on 'those lists' whenever we hear about them.

When I read one of the interviews this also concerned. What did make me feel a bit better about it is that Jeff said that "we haven't started working on our stuff yet" which makes me think that they have something in the pipeline or that the intentions are for a JJFP project.

it would be great if after this album Will and Jeff do the tour and then get straight into a pure JJFP album.

I do agree though that Jeff is one of the best producers out there and is extremely underrated. I don't feel he ever gets props for his beat making skills or gets included on 'those lists' whenever we hear about them.

• Admin

I'm not as confident as you guys. In 2002 Will did born to reign & jeff did the magnificent and they didn't appear on either ones records. In 2004 Will had finished lost & found when jeff gave him the here he comes beat in a hotel in Sydney and Jeff just added scratches to the album. The last JJFP album you could say was Willennium, but even then A Touch of Jazz did the majority of the production not Jeff. Even Code Red Will went to outside producers, so seriously the last true JJFP album was Homebase in 1991, 24 years ago. If Will & Jeff want to make some music together they both have to make it a priority and clear their schedules. Jeff is killing the beats lately, I just wish they'd make it happen. Waiting 10 years for 1 new JJFP track isn't going to satisfy me.

• Members

I have to agree... I find that the greatness of JJFP is really... well "He's the DJ, 'Im the rapper" - in that order. Any track JJ produced is simply like 75% better than anything Will does with anyone else. I remember that when we were looking forward to Lost & Found we said, "I hope and believe there will be a lot of Jazzy". Didnt happen. "I hope the next album will be pure JJFP". Didnt happen. And I seriously believe as well that after this album, it's pretty likely it will go another ten years before Will release any new music. This is why I even put a question mark over that "World Tour" - it could very well be that he travels around in a few capitals, dragging Jeff along, promoting Bad Boys III rather than actually touring...

The only acceptable scenario for a new Will album would be that at least half of the tracks was produced by Jeff. Not that Lost & Found in any manner was useless, but I've played that album maybe not even a tenth of the times I've played the JJFP ones.

In all of this, I say okey, they might have some scheduling conflicts or whatever, but Jeff the last couple of years has said that he is ready to do it, ready to hit it with Will anytime, and the fcker just goes "nopes - I wanna work with the younger buddies. The up and comings. The fast & famous of today". And what really just hits me is the repeated feeling of "what. is. your. problem. Will?"

Okey if he was some old school artist in dire need of success and financial issues or whatever - then maybe it would have been understandable to go with someone that kids of today recognize and stalk around the Internet. But now, when he surely must know that he wont sell ten million albums and doesnt even need to, why not just go for quality? Why not just create something very good that people will remember and feel great when they hear it? Why even try to compete with the current retarded hiphop scene?

But yeah I'm guessing we will see maybe one track where Jeff does some scratching. Maybe he'll put it in between some of the eight tracks that will include his musically inept children. Maybe the scratching will be done on the track which also features Vanilla Ice, 50 Cent and Snoop Lion. Or maybe Jeff will get do a couple of cuts on one of the tracks produced by "Random-producer-that-you-wont-hear-about-ever-again-once-the-album-is-out."

I know, I know, I am the voice of pessimism... but I've been proven right before, havent I...

I wouldn't worry too much. Will has only had time in between filming and stuff to be able to write and record. I doubt any beats for his raps are final versions. Nothing stopping any producer jumping on it. I do hope him and Jeff can get together for a while.  Will wants to work with young talent, but to be honest a 50 year old Jeff who travels the world playing to young audiences everywhere is more in the know about current dope sounds than any sucker off the street. Will is smart, he just needs a sit down with Jeff.  That will hopefully be happening soon.  Nothing stopping Will sending Jeff some raps that Jeff can play around with whilst on tour.

I wouldn't worry too much. Will has only had time in between filming and stuff to be able to write and record. I doubt any beats for his raps are final versions. Nothing stopping any producer jumping on it. I do hope him and Jeff can get together for a while.  Will wants to work with young talent, but to be honest a 50 year old Jeff who travels the world playing to young audiences everywhere is more in the know about current dope sounds than any sucker off the street. Will is smart, he just needs a sit down with Jeff.  That will hopefully be happening soon.  Nothing stopping Will sending Jeff some raps that Jeff can play around with whilst on tour.

​these are mostly my thoughts, with all the news coming out now i think there's an even bigger hope for more JJFP material, my worries have gone away, i believe that it'll happen just like i never gave up hope on an album since i've been one of the handful on the board that've stuck around for 10 years waiting for these days to arrive!

I feel that the progress of the album during the tour will also impact.  If the album is done in the next 5 months or so, there's the chance we can get a "Will Smith & Friends" project that may or may not meet our high expectations.  If he's still working things while they tour, that would greatly impact the album.  You can't come down on an artist for wanting to do things their way...it just sucks when they don't do things the way you'd really want.  Like there's nothing more I want than a JJ+FP album, but I can't be mad if wants to make something else.  Regardless, we need to back the project in hopes of not having such a large gap in between albums.

Remember though Will and Jeff were supposed to sit down together at the beginning of the year and make music, it is the plan, its just probably once again finding time were they are both free to do it. I think the album will be a bit like Lost and Found, Jeff is on a bit, but not much. Sounds like Will has a lot still to do to get this album finished, plenty of time to let Jeff finish his tour and find time to work with him.

Beggers can't be choosers, ive been waiting 10 years for this, i'm not about to complain about anything haha.