JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

New Album, World Tour and Bad Boys III in 2016

Hero1

i was noticing that there's a lot of buzz for will on facebook and twitter right now, it seems like this could be his highest popularity of the 2000s, somebody even asked dayne jordan if he's gonna feature on the JJFP album, I really would like to see him, Skillz, and Kel Spencer on this album and tour more than anybody 'cause they're the most loyal hip hop artists in the JJFP circle...

I think for some of the shows they'll be some old school legends! Remember in London for the iRobot gig he brought out Biz... Either way it will be ridiculous!

I'm just hoping we dont just get 'The Hits' and we get some of the album tracks/b sides 

Btw on another note I'd give anything to make it to all the east coast US shows and do VIP meet and greet, it'd make 2016 the year I'd tell my grandkids about when I'm 80!

I think for some of the shows they'll be some old school legends! Remember in London for the iRobot gig he brought out Biz... Either way it will be ridiculous!

I'm just hoping we dont just get 'The Hits' and we get some of the album tracks/b sides 

​I was just thinking about that. I wouldn't be surprised if Jaden picks the set list since he loves his father's music which I'm sure will be really good. So many great songs tucked away on the albums....how about Jazzy's Groove live? Jeff Waz on the Beatbox live? Scream live? The list goes on and on.

I'm also eating my words. Jeff said it best in an interview last year that the reason why you don't hear music from your favorite artist is because of life. I remember how frustrated I used to get when I'd listen to the music and wonder why my favorite emcee isn't rapping anymore. I understand life gets in the way but give me something to chew on you know lol

I went to Live8 in 2005 and it was great but I was still so far away. I can't wait for a real, full blown experience. 

JJ+FP has always been in their own circle. They are cool with so many people, but it's hard to see them as part of one of those legendary Hip-Hop tours.  That's what I'd prefer though.  LL Cool J would be the perfect act to tie in with.  Public Enemy would be another, but some of their lyrics might be a bit too much for the majority of the pull that JJ+FP will likely get.  When the emcee in the group is also one of the biggest movie stars in the world who's TV show is still in syndication, it's going to have a very mixed audience.  The Hip-Hop heads will likely be a smaller portion of the audience.  Regardless of how it turns out, it'll be great.  I imagine it'll be a lot like the live set they they did around Lost + Found and Hitch.  You don't go on tour for the first time since the 90's and choose "I'm Looking For The One" over "Miami."  I'd actually prefer that, but we gotta be realistic.

​I was just thinking about that. I wouldn't be surprised if Jaden picks the set list since he loves his father's music which I'm sure will be really good.

​Hmmm.. I'm not so sure about that. A few years ago Will said "I'm done with music", and later we found out it was Jaden the one who had told him to stop rapping. Plus, to be honest, I wouldn't like to see the Smith kids involved in this. I don't mind JJFP performing with other rappers, but at the end of the day I only want to see Will and Jeff on stage.

Edited by Ale

• Members

im down for the london trip! every time ive been at one of jeffs gigs someone from this board has been there aswell, i just dont find out until afterwards lol, 2016 is gonna be a good year for JJFP.

As for Bad Boys 3 100% it wont be until 2017/2018 unfortunately :(

Edited by the magnificent

Of course LL Cool J and Public Enemy would be a good fit with the JJFP tour, JJFP toured with both of them back in the 1980s so they're long time friends, other old school legends like Kid N Play, MC Hammer and Run Dmc would also come to mind, and if 2Pac, Michael Jackson, and Heavy D were still alive they'd fit in too...

Predictable, but good interview.  For those who don't want to click the link...

DJ Jazzy Jeff on possible reunion with Will Smith: 'The time is right on so many different levels'

"I've been waiting for him just to say, 'Let's go,'" he tells EW.

by Eric Renner Brown @ericrennerbrown

(Kevin Winter/Getty Images)

Posted October 7 2015 — 11:38 AM EDT

Will Smith threw the hip-hop world a curveball Monday when he told Zane Lowe on Beats 1 that he plans to hit the road with longtime collaborator DJ Jazzy Jeff next summer. Jeff, who recorded five albums with Smith from 1987 to 1993, has confirmed to EW that a reunion is a serious possibility. “The time is right on so many different levels,” the DJ said by phone Tuesday. “It’s simple as Will has been my partner for 30-something years. I’ve been waiting for him just to say, ‘Let’s go.’”

Jeff attributes talk of new tunes and a tour — Smith also told Lowe that he’s “pretty much poppin’ in the studio everyday” — to conversations he’s had with the star about adapting to changes in the music industry. “I think he’s really coming to grips that so much of it is independent and you can do it on your own,” Jeff says. “Coming from a record background and as long as we made records, that’s really hard for someone to understand that it’s different now. We always talk about going into these million dollar studios and making these records that we made. [But] having the ability to make a record in a hotel room, if we’d have had that, we would have probably did 50 albums!”

According to Jeff, he and Smith “perform together maybe like four or five times a year, just on different occasions” like movie release parties and Jeff’s own gigs around the world. After those appearances, Smith often remarks to Jeff that the duo should reunite in earnest — prompting Jeff to reply, “I already do it! I’m waiting for you!” While Jeff says he and Smith “haven’t started our stuff yet,” he praises his return to the studio. “The thing about Will, from the day I met him, he is never lacking in ideas and content,” Jeff says. “It’s just the execution. I’m happy that he’s executing now. With the help of his kids — who are so into just doing it — he’s kinda like, ‘You know what? We can just do it.’ The possibilities are endless because we have these resources that we didn’t have 20 years ago.”

And although Smith’s schedule might be the limiting factor for a DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince reunion, Jeff has kept busy in his own right. The DJ says he plays more than 160 gigs a year, and he provided scratch overdubs for the summer box office smash Straight Outta Compton — an offer he initially thought was “an elaborate joke” when he received multiple texts from numbers he didn’t know that turned out to be Dr. Dre trying to contact him. The mogul eventually got through to Jeff, who says Dre told him “there’s no one that I would pick other than you” to do the DJ work in the film. “I was really honored, I was just really happy that I could help,” Jeff says.

Still, the idea of being an “elder statesman” of hip-hop is still a little weird to the DJ, who tells a story of hanging out at a Hong Kong club with Dre and Snoop Dogg, where all three were performing. “Will and I still do this,” he says. “There’s a side of it that you never lose, that this is funny. ‘Can you believe this?’”

Will did a verse off of [Kanye West's] "Clique" when it first came out. He rapped it for me and it was huge. And I looked at him and said, "Why didn't you put that out?" And he just looked at me. I'm like, "Wait, you wrote an incredible verse off of a really popular song. That is what they do! Just drop it!" But he just sat on it.

We need to hear this!!