Jump to content
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Ale

Walter Parkes and Laurie MacDonald on a Revived 'Men in Black' (Sans Will Smith)

Recommended Posts

I read this earlier today and was a little bummed.  On one hand, I feel MIB could have gone on for awhile, providing it was done right.  At the same time, I suppose it was a good place to end it.  I can't say I'll have too much of an interest in a reboot.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Men in Black Revival in Development Without Will Smith

September 24, 2015
 
 
 
 
 
 

Men in Black Revival in Development Without Will Smith.

A new Men in Black trilogy is in development without star Will Smith

Speaking with The Hollywood Reporter, producers Walter Parkes and Laurie MacDonald revealed that a revival of the Men in Black franchise is in development at Sony Pictures

“We’re in the middle of it. It’s very active,” Parkes revealed, confirming that Will Smith wasn’t a part of their discussions.

“It will be reinvented as a trilogy,” MacDonald added.

Last we heard about any developments regarding the franchise were talks of the upcoming 23 Jump Street, which would crossover the comedy series with the sci-fi franchise for a film poking fun at the idea of “cinematic universes.” Since then, writer-directors Phil Lord and Chris Miller have signed on for a number of other high profile projects, including the animated Spider-Man movie, The Flash movie, and a Han Solo movie. It’s unclear if that project is still moving forward or how it will interacticon1.png with a proposed revival of the core series.

Starring Tommy Lee Jones and Will Smith, the first Men in Black was released in 1997 and went on to gross over $589 million worldwide. A follow-up was released in 2002, bringing in over $440 million worldwide, with a third debuting in theaters in 2012 and raking in over $620 million. Smith and Jones appeared in all three films, which were in turn all directed by Barry Sonnenfeld. The film series was originally based on the comics by Lowell Cunningham.

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/616567-men-in-black-revival-in-development-without-will-smith

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah of all the films Will has done, MIB is the best one to do sequels to. I'm a bit sad he's not doing anymore but I'm also pretty satisfied with the 3 we have. I hope the new one sucks without him haha. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I find articles like this one weird. If it's a reboot (what's with this "revive" terminology?), why would they use the same actors? I feel that MIB could go on as-is for a long time with the right scripts, but if they are rebooting it, there's no reason to keep actors from the first set.  On a separate note, the idea that was kicked around of having it crossover with 21 Jump Street is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard.  Anyway, here's an article from BET.

 

Men in Black to Go On Without Will Smith?

Production underway and the actor hasn't signed on.

By Evelyn Diaz
Posted: 09/26/2015 05:42 PM EDT
 
092615-celebs-will-smith.jpg

Rumor has it that the Men in Black franchise is returning to theaters, but with one key component missing: Will Smith. Walter Parkes and Laurie MacDonald, who produced the original and its two sequels, confirmed to the Hollywood Reporter that a franchise revival is moving forward without him.

“We’re in the middle of it. It’s very active,” Parkes said of the new installment, which is intended to be the first part of a second trilogy. Asked whether Smith will be involved, Parkes told THR, “Most likely, no."

The original sci-fi comedy premiered in summer 1997 to huge success, grossing more than $250 million during its theatrical run, second only that year to Titanic. Smith returned for Men in Black II in 2002, which was commercially successful but critically hated. Ten years later, he signed up for MiB3, which became the most profitable film of the franchise thanks to robust international ticket sales.

Despite the success of the trilogy (they are among Smith's biggest blockbusters ever), the actor isn't interested in coming back to the well, instead focusing on prestige projects like the Oscar-bait-y Concussion, due out this fall. Last year, the actor turned down the opportunity to star in Independence Day 2, the sequel to his highest-grossing film ever.

It remains to be seen who will fill Smith's shoes and whether his partner in crimefighting Tommy Lee Jones will also bow out. It's hard to imagine the franchise without them, but if Star Wars can go on, so can Men in Black.

BET.com is your #1 source for Black celebrity news, photos, exclusive videos and all the latest in the world of hip hop and R&B music. 

http://www.bet.com/news/celebrities/2015/09/26/men-in-black-without-will-smith.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×