JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Fresh Prince Reboot in Development? Will Smith on Board as Producer?

Ale

fpoba was perfect the way it was, i don't want to ruin a classic...

According to Deadline:

Because of the similarities in the setup and Smith’s involvement as a producer, the project has been informally referred to in industry circles as a new Fresh Prince, and has been reported as a Fresh Prince reboot. However, sources stress that, at least for the time being, the comedy in question is a new show with new characters and a new setting, only sharing the general fish out of water family show concept with Fresh Prince. There is no writer yet for the project, which is in nascent stages of internal development at Overbrook. It is still at an idea phase, with no fleshed out concept. There is no studio attached.

http://deadline.com/2015/08/fresh-prince-of-bel-air-will-smith-family-comedy-1201498741/

-----

This makes more sense now.

yeah it makes more sense now

I saw this article earlier today:

Will Smith Is Reportedly Working on a 'Fresh Prince' Reboot

Nostalgia is quickly becoming the strongest force in entertainment, prompting reboots of Full House, Ghostbusters, X-Files, and a grip of other shows and movies from our not-so-distant past. Now the pull is exerting its force on one of our most beloved entities of all time. A Fresh Prince of Bel-Air reboot is reportedly on the way, with Will Smith leading the way as executive producer.

TV Line reports Smith's production company, Overbrook Entertainment, is in the very early stages of developing a new show that "puts a new spin on the fish-out-of-water tale while maintaining the spirit of the original series." The pitch is still in the works, and Smith is expected to start shopping the show in coming weeks along with his not-divorced wife, Jada Pinkett-Smith

Sit on those facts for a second and commence the freakout. 

http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2015/08/will-smith-fresh-prince-of-bel-air-reboot?utm_campaign=complexmag&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&sr_share=facebook

I'm also not excited about this when they use the word "reboot" in the title of the article.  However, it doesn't sound like it'll be an actual "reboot" or a "sequel," so as long as it stands on its own as a sitcom, then I'm cool with it...lol.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Members

I still think I'll pass. I've watched the Boy Meets World sequel "Girl Meets World", and it is okay at best. The Full House sequel, "Fuller House", seems interesting... but I don't think it will do well. Please don't ruin the Fresh Prince concept!

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...