JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Will working with Drake?

after 10 years of us waiting he's gonna do all this work with kanye and drake instead of jeff, i thought he ain't worried about making hits, most of us here want a classic hip hop JJFP album not no pop rap garbage, come on WILL!

I read this and rolled my eyes so hard that it took them 20 minutes to get all the way around.  I know it's all a matter of opinion, but working with Kanye West, Drake, and Calvin Harris is just annoying to me.  I understand that artistic instincts make someone want to explore, but I don't want crazy experimentation. I was a classic Hip-Hop record.  Kanye, Drake, and Calvin cannot help him deliver that.

I'm really excited for this! This is awesome. I hope we get to hear some of the tracks. I personally love Drake. Sure he's got some real garbage songs but every artist does. Drake is really talented. 

Drake/Calvin Harris/Kanye West - you guys really don't want to hear that? I get it, of course first and foremost I want a JJFP record. No question about that but just because he's collaborating with these artists doesn't mean it's going to suck. They're all extremely talented. 

will needs to check out the forum and see what the real fans want, he seems like he's going after the teen pop audience rather than the true heads who don't listen to drake, kanye(unless it's his music from 8-10 years ago on his first few albums), and calvin harris(i haven't really checked much of his music so i'm not gonna bash him too hard)....there's a ton of true artists he could work with like chuck d, ll, krs, nas, rakim, mc hammer, queen latifah, lauryn hill, talib kweli, roots, mos def, mc lyte, etc.,(i know that looks like the list i have on my profile from 2004 but in my opinion there isn't any recent artist in hip hop worthy of working with will unless it's somebody like kel spencer or dayne jordan) but mostly i would wanna see him work with jazzy jeff since we know that's where the chemistry is, i'm not hating when i say that, i try to listen to today's artists on occasion but my heart is with the classic hip hop....

Edited by bigted

I just feel that those artist mean he's doing a pop album.  I could stomach it if it were a two disc album where one disc was classic Hip-Hop and the other a pop, radio-ready.  I just don't want the album to mediocre in case he waits a long time to drop an album again.  Classic artists are coming out of the woodwork and they seem to get praise when they do what they do best. When they try to do too much that's new, the fans aren't satisfied.

I'm excited he has some big names there. He's just experimenting with sound. If he does want to make a hit ( don't know if that's what he wants) he needs to see what people are listening to these days. 

If if he hasn't already I have no doubt he will work with Jeff. They've discussed it, it's all about timing of when they are both free. I'm sure JJFP will make this happen. 

At at the end of the day, it's new music, which I never thought would happen. I'll take anything. 

well the way aj put it, i could also live with will working with these type of artists on one disc a mainstream album like Big Willie Style sorta speak(an album with mainstream artists) if he does a JJFP Code Red/Willenium type album on another disc(mostly an album with jeff which could definately include the classic artists)  for the true fans, like you said at this rate if we gotta keep waiting for more music then this one gotta be done right...

Edited by bigted

• 4 weeks later...

The whole thing is stupid to me.  Drake is a commercial singer-rapper from Canada who has other people write his lyrics.  He's also part of the wackest click of all time.  I like the FP is surrounding himself with people who make music, it's just that it's all the wrong people.