JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

TORI KELLY - UNBREAKABLE SMILE

So this morning, I checked the new music releases as I always do.  The album cover for Tori Kelly's Unbreakable Smile grabbed my attention, so I previewed it.  I instantly fell in love with her.  I have never heard of her before.

Apparently she comes from a very ethnic mixed family, which introduced her to a wide range of music genres growing, which is evident in her music.  She's had a following by posting YouTube videos and competing on American Idol.  She also has two EPs that performed well for an independent artist.

Anyway, the snippets I heard this morning were so good that I picked the album up on my lunch break.  I googled it at work and saw that Target has and exclusive version with two bonus tracks, so that's were I got it.  Anyway, this girl has a pretty voice and write all of her own songs.  To sum up her sound, it's a legit mix of R&B and Pop with other influences, such as Hip-Hop. When I say Pop, I don't mean watered down production and danced beats.  It's simply a musically polished sound that should sound sweet to nearly any ear.

I'm not going to do a track by track review.  I'm just going to suggest that if you like artists like Jessie J, Angel Taylor, Natasha Bedingfield, and Stacie Orrico, you'll want to give her music a good listen.  The lyrics are rich; her sound is musical. I can guarantee that this will be one of my main soundtracks to my Summer.  The album features guest spots by LL Cool J, Daye Jack, and Ed Sheeran.

Check it!

http://www.torikellymusic.com/

https://www.facebook.com/torikellymusic

i just listened to the album this morning on google play music and i gotta say i'm impressed, there seems to be a resurgance in new artists

Agreed.  I think we are finally, slowly exiting the era of watered down music, tired dance beats, and ratchet subject matter. Studies have shown that music genres are most successful when the keep things simple and authentic.  I'd love to see all genres of music go back to that instead of being polished and Hollywood.  There's nothing wrong with polished music and a Hollywood presentation if that's authentic to you, but think about all the artists that came out 10 year ago and use to make great music and now make questionable music (Black Eyed Peas, Rihanna, etc).  I'd like to think that groups like LMFAO could never have a hit these days.  It looks like we're heading back to the basics.  Tori Kelly is the epitome of that to me.  Musical sounding music.  Strong melodies.  Lyrics about love and life.  Lyrics that aren't purposely explicit for the sake of getting a sticker and being acceptable to idiots who feel tasteless lyrics and language is a staple in music.

well with the way things are these days it's important to have music that's tasteful and thought out for a change...on another note tori kelly posted a video on her facebook of ll cool j going on stage at her concert and performing "california lovers" with her which i thought was dope!