JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Does anyone here pay for music streaming service?

bigted

I joined Tidal a few months back but I noticed that it's not really too compatible with my chromecast for my tv(that could be another question too, does anyone here have a tv streaming service as well?) so I switched to the more suitable for my chromecast Google Play Music about a week and a half ago and so far so good I'm pretty pleased with it. With the way of CDs becoming extinct and Apple releasing another music service is anyone on the board now paying for music streaming service too? At around $10 a month and millions of tracks sure beats paying a ton of money to have access to all that music on CD to me, it's a win win in my opinion...

Streaming has never interested me.  I'll always buy CD's for good music and purchase digital downloads for one-off silly/guilty pleasure songs. Older CDs aren't made as often, but there will always be some sort of new releases.  With Kickstarters popping up and exclusive purchases being done directly though an artists' websites, it's just a different way to get music

i'm still gonna buy CDs from my favorite artists as long as the CDs are being produced 'cause i support the artistry but i could actually dig the streaming music concept as well, it brings more available to the music fans

As I think about it, I'm not aware of many people using music streaming services.  I feel like most of them aren't using one, but it's possible that it just doesn't get brought up in conversation.  With streaming, you are paying for a service.  I'm old school and just prefer to own the music.  I wish the board wasn't so quite and passive.  I'd love to know what others are doing.

well AJ that's why i brought up this topic, i figured this could spark some different kind of music convo, sure you know i like to hold onto the old school but at the same time i'm open to the future technology as well

i never heard of deezer, just googled it and it says it's not available in my country but it's coming soon

Edited by bigted

spotify and pandora are good free options but i'm actually digging the google play music because not only is it commercial free and unlimited music & skips but it's also commercial free music videos and audio on youtube with the youtube music key at no additional cost

the only thing i don't like about google play music is that it don't carry JJFP's Code Red album  but of course I already have that album ripped from my CD on Windows Media so it's all good

My cable company pays for my Spotify so that is what I use. It is very useful, especially to check out new albums or to listen to some albums or songs you don't really want to own because you'll be done with them after a few times. However, I'm not sure I would pay for it myself, cause I might as well spend those 120€ a year on CD's. I might sign up to Apple Music because all my music basically runs through iTunes and because their family sharing policy is amazing. Suddenly it's 5€ or less a person a month to use it, which is pretty damn great.

As for buying music, I usually buy CD's because they are often actually no more than 10€ these days, which means buying them digitally isn't even cheaper. For some records, I buy the vinyl copies, which now usually come with a digital code and often do not cost more than like 15€. I buy less than I used to, but not because of streaming, just because I realized I bough too many CDs and actually listened to too few of them.

Edited by Turntable

i obviously don't listen to CDs as much as i used to either, like i said i reserve buying CDs for my favorite artists, and I use streaming like you to sample through a lot of different artists and also listen to rare albums that are hard to find on CD these days