JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

BRIAMARIE - THE FRESH PRINCESS

A few of you might be like "why is this being posted on the DJ Jazzy Jeff board?"  Well, I suppose it COULD go on the Caught In The Middle board, but since she is part of the JJ+FP family tree, I felt it was best to put it here.  For those who aren't familiar with her, she's a R&B singer/rapper/humanitarian who comes from Columbia, Maryland who moved to Philly (at least for school).  There she connected with Carvin Haggins, the 19-times Grammy nominated producer who spent many years working with Jeff at A Touch of Jazz turning out classics.  Carvin, who owns the Ethical Music indie label signed her as his premier artist. The dope thing about Ethical Music, is that not only is he holding high standards for the quality of the music, but they'll be doing it without all the common sex/violence/drug talk.

BriaMarie's debut single features the one an only DJ Jazzy Jeff.

You can download the song for FREE here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/clwq77dg1zz9zvx/French+Fries+%26+Apple+Pies.aif

You can download, Leader of the New School, her first EP, mixtape, whatever you wanna call it, here for FREE through Ethical Music's Soundcloud:

Edited by JumpinJack AJ

Proud to Be an American

As you listen to her music and watch her YouTube videos, you'll see that this girl has such a positive, bright energy.  She's classy, funny, and serious when it comes to her music.  She dropped a digital EP that features a remix of "French Fries and Apple Pies," which still features DJ Jazzy Jeff here: http://www.amazon.com/Proud-American-BriaMarie-Fresh-Princess/dp/B00A504KL0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1433566257&sr=8-1&keywords=briamarie

Her first big (CD) release was her self-titled EP.

Briamarie

http://www.amazon.com/Briamarie/dp/B00HG0F2J6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1433566257&sr=8-2&keywords=briamarie

Just this week she released her first full length album, titled FRESHMAN.  You can currently buy a physical copy (as well as her self-titled EP, and posters).

The first single is a 90's throwback titled "Tell The DJ."  I actually posted about this awhile ago because the single cover is A Tribe Called Quest/Midnight Marauders inspired and features Jeff's face.

I just wanted to encourage the board to consider checking her out.  As an artist, I really believe in her and can identify with her songs.  She balances the R&B and Hip-Hop sensibilities perfectly.  She has heart, wit, and talent.  She just might make you fall in love with R&B again.  She has a total appreciation for the 90's and old school/classic music.

This week she was bouncing back and forth between Philly, DC, and Columbia performing and making appearance on TV.  I was fortunate to attend her performance and album release party last night.  She's become one of my favorite artists over the years, so I was hyped.  I showed up to the restaurant that the album release party was happening early.  BriaMarie showed up right after me, but I wasn't going to bug her. She was waiting for her crew to show up.  After doing dinner with a friend and securing a good seat, she actually tapped me on the shoulder and called me by name.  This actually meant A LOT to me as one of her supporters.  Since my name is currently AJ on Facebook and since she couldn't see my face from straight-on, I was surprised she called me Adam.  We briefly talked and she said she know I had all of her music.  I'm guessing she was involved packaging all of the pre-orders of her album (I got the bundle for the new album, the EP, and her signed poster). She also said how they were pushing the table I was setting at back so they could dance.  She broke into a dance move as she said, which made me laugh.

The set started late.  As they were getting things set up, they played Fresh Prince's "Big Willie Style."   Yes, the entire album.  It was dope.  The crowd was grooving to it to...even the album (non-single) tracks.  During the set-up, I saw that Carvin was there too, which was cool.  One thing I love about the sound check, was that she did with songs she wasn't performing.  If you watch the YouTube videos on her's and Ethical Music's YouTube channels, you'll learn that she doesn't like doing sound check in front of the crowd.  She was just rocking denim, an Adidas jacket, and hoop earrings as she sang Alicia Keys' "Fallin'" and her own song "Respect." As they tweaked things, she joked with the crowd some.  She and her crew (the Beam Team) were getting changed and prepared, her DJ played the album, listening party-style.  Two of the children who sung on the chorus of "#L2LU" were at the party, as were her parents and other friends and family.

The performance was dope!  The speakers pumped the songs and the lighting added a nice ambiance. She was backed by her DJ, DJ Geek, a drummer, two background vocalists, and two dancers.  The started the set with Laruyn Hill's "Doo Wop."  They were GOING HARD in terms of the choreography and energy.  She went on to perform Love The Way We Argue, Ex Factor, #L2LU (Learn To Love You), and Tell The DJ.  Hearing her sing "#L2LU" and hit that high note while it was just her playing the keyboard was amazing.

Afterward, her and her crew hung out in the restaurant where her team was selling CD's, posters, and T-shirts.  Afterward I talked to her for a little bit.  She just has a beautiful spirit and I wished we'd be able to have a convo without all the hype going on around us.  We snapped a pic, but unfortunately I look horrible in it...lol.  My old contacts had my eyes looking crazy.  I was (and still am) exhausted from how little sleep I've gotten lately.  Multiple cameras were going off, so we were focusing on different cameras at different times.  It was during this time I also got to talk to Carvin.  He was taking pictures during her performance hanging out all night, just making sure the night went smoothly.  I shared some words with him and let him know I was a fan and had been following his work since A Touch of Jazz.  He was appreciative and thanked me for the support multiple times.  I think I was the only person who got a picture with him...lol.

some dope stuff AJ, glad you enjoyed yourself at her show, i'll be looking into her music

Pictures from the release party just went up on her website; http://www.BriaMarie.com

The only one that has surfaced with us both looking at the same camera is this one...I look so goofy in this...lol

Both of these pix were snapped by Carvin.

Edited by JumpinJack AJ