JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

MISSY "MISDEMEANOR" ELLIOT TALKS SUPER BOWL

JumpinJack AJ

Missy Elliott Talks Super Bowl Halftime Performance & Young Thug's Ageism Comments

by Christopher Harris

posted Friday February 06, 2015 at 09:30AM PST |

Missy-Elliott_02-03-2015-300x300.jpg

"I think what me and Tim did, our music was so ahead of its time and it's still ahead of its time and it's not even coming from a cocky or conceited way," Missy says.

Missy Elliott called into the Sway in the Morning show yesterday (February 5) to talk about her performance during halftime at the Super Bowl, the recent success of her previously released records and Young Thug's comments in GQ regarding Jay Z being too old to rap.

Missy told the radio show host that although she's been performing for over 20 years, leading up to Super Bowl night, she began to suffer from anxiety attacks. To calm her nerves on game day, she "prayed all the way to the stage."

"I thank Katy" [Perry, with whom she performed during the Super Bowl halftime show, Missy says within the 16-minute phone call. "She could have picked any artist and it was big for her so, most artists would probably be like let me get somebody that's on the top of the charts and make my joint go even higher.

"She said that she was a fan of mine," Elliott continues. That meant a lot...We did a record together and I thought I was going to come out on the record we did together and she said, 'I want you to do your records' and I'm like 'Wow.' She said to me, 'God got you here for a reason."

Days after Missy's triumphant return, each of the songs she performed during the halftime show – "Work It", "Get Your Freak On" and "Lose Control" – began to sell more on iTunes and her song streams boosted on Spotify.

Additionally, since the "Supa Dupa Fly" rapper hasn't released a studio album in nearly 10 years, many younger fans perceived her to be a new artist.

"I've been getting a lot of [tour] offers," Missy told Sway. "I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do next."

When Young Thug's recent GQ comments came up in conversation, Missy recalled making "timeless" music with Timbaland.

"I think what me and Tim did, our music was so ahead of its time and its still ahead of its time and its not even coming from a cocky or conceited way, I look at Tim and say, 'What were you on? What were we on? Musically, It can't be duplicated," she says. "Those records are timeless, now when you play them it don't sound dated."

"Talent is talent and it's timeless," she adds. "That's just my take on it."

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/id.32434/title.missy-elliott-talks-super-bowl-halftime-performance-young-thugs-ageism-comments