JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Big Ted's 2014 Hip Hop/R&B Favorites

bigted

Let me start out with hip hop, it wasn't the greatest year but there were still a few classic albums in 2014 that I enjoyed:

Now this mc Lecrae is a breath of fresh air for the state of hip hop, to me "Anomoly" is the album of the year:

Now we all know and expect deliver classics throughout his career and he did it again with "Nobody's Smiling":

And even another rapper that has been bashed on this forum for years delivered a great album, 50 Cent's "Animal Ambition"

the goat 2 didn't come out yet but with ll cool j putting out songs like this then it'll be a classic in 2015:

Now onto r&b, some of my favorite artists put out albums and they delivered as usual, here's a few of my favorites:

Boyz II Men "Collide"

http://youtu.be/wLkkofd-RQ0

Mariah Carey "Me I Am Mariah...The Elusive Chanteuse"

Toni Braxton/Babyface "Love, Marriage, and Divorce:

I forgot to mention the mixtapes that were released by JJFP family favorites Kel Spencer and Dayne Jordan but they put out better material than most albums in hip hop in 2014, hopeful that they could do big things in the future to bring that real music back

i haven't heard tinashe's album but i liked the 2 on remix with LL so i might give it a listen soon, i like j cole but i didn't check his album yet either but on the most part the new artists can't get to the level of the veterans to me but it's all good though, i try to give everyone a chance

btw i just left a message on facebook to kel spencer about how i had his mixtape on my music playlist along with christmas music today and he said he felt good about that, it feels real to make someone's day...

Some of my favorite Hip Hop albums this year (no order):

Cozz - Cozz & Effect

cozz-cozzneffect.jpg

ScHoolboy Q - Oxymoron (Deluxe)

Schoolboy-q-oxymoron-deluxecover.jpg

Logic - Under Pressure

logic-underpressure.jpg

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x27rb0k_logic-under-pressure-bmf_music ["Under Pressure" OFFICIAL VIDEO]

Y.G. - My Krazy Life

yg-my-krazy-life.jpg

The Underachievers - Cellar Door: Terminus Ut Exordium

The_Underachievers___Cellar_Door_Terminu

Still waiting for the albums of Ghostface and J. Cole tho (both ordered but not received yet) - both could have a chance to be mentioned here!

Biggest disappointment of the year was the new Wu-Tang Clan album! :thumbdown:

The first album for 2015 I have really high expectations on is "B4.DA.$$" by Joey Bada$$... 4 tracks out, all killer no filler!

what's wrong with the wu tang clan album? i heard a lot of good things about it, i ain't the biggest fan of the world of wu tang but they legends of hip hop that know how to make dope music and in this wack music industry today i'd definately say they're one of the handful of artists keeping the music alive

what's wrong with the wu tang clan album? i heard a lot of good things about it, i ain't the biggest fan of the world of wu tang but they legends of hip hop that know how to make dope music and in this wack music industry today i'd definately say they're one of the handful of artists keeping the music alive

Sure they are legends - they were also ''heroes'' of my youth and I got plenty of their albums at home but I don't think their musical visions nowadays match enough to create another solid album as a group. The production is just not right for me... seems like RZA always wants too much, wants to show everyone that he can create ''real'' music instead of just making some raw hip hop beats! The rapping also sounds not very motivated sometimes, some hooks are just ridiculous and all in all you get the feeling that there is not very much on this album that fits together! For the first group album under the powerful ''W'' since 2007 it's just disappointing. I wasn't really happy too with ''8 Diagrams'' back then (also was Raekwon for example) but in comparison to the new one it had much better tracks on it!

well i think it's good to have a throwback vibe going 'cause most of what's out now is boring and watered down, anyway i think ashanti's "braveheart" is one of the underrated albums of 2014, her christmas album is dope too...

Some nice albums there... especially "Pinata" and "Run The Jewels 2" - didn't mention them here! Ghostface also released a very good conceptual album, J. Cole is nice too altough I would say that "Born Sinner" was better but I heard it just one time by now so it's hard to judge about it! I didn't like the PRhyme album that much... I think Premo and Royce is a good combo so I expected some more of it! Jeezy was a little disappointing, I liked the title track with Jay-Z a lot but there are too much filler tracks on the album! Nicki Minaj is just not my cup of tea...

• 2 weeks later...

My Top 15 (or 16) Albums Of 2014

1. YG – My Krazy Life (Hip Hop)
2. The Lawrence Arms – Metropole (Alternative/Punk)
3. Transit – Joyride (Alternative/Punk)
4. Intuition & Equalibrum - Intuition & Equalibrum (Hip Hop)
5. The Madden Brothers – Greetins From California (Singer/Songwriter)
6. New Found Glory – Resurrection (Alternative/Punk)
7. Tony Bennett & Lady Gaga – Cheek To Cheek (Jazz/Great American Songbook)
8. The Roots – And Then You Shot Your Cousin (Hip Hop)
9. Ariana Grande – My Everything (R&B)
10. J. Rawls – The Legacy (Hip Hop)
11. Sturgill Simpson – Metamodern Sounds In Country Music (Country)
12. Wu-Tang Clan – A Better Tomorrow (Hip Hop)
13. Freddie Gibbs & Madlib – Piñata (Hip Hop)
14. Tinashe – Aquarius (R&B)/Mariah Carey - Me. I Am Mariah (...) (R&B)
15. Rick Ross – Mastermind (Hip Hop)
I have not yet heard the 2014 releases of some artists I love, such as Ghostface, J. Cole, Young Jeezy, Pennywise, Statik Selektah and Big K.R.I.T.
Edited by Turntable