JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

T-PAIN SINGING WITHOUT AUTOTUNE

JumpinJack AJ

T-Pain Singing Some Of His Biggest Records Without Auto-Tune Will Probably Blow Your Mind

T-Pain made auto-tune more than a studio tool, he made it an era. What happens when he’s without it?

The answer is above, but we’re sure you’ve heard by now that the answer is awesomeness. With his good friend and keyboard player providing the only instrumentation, T-Pain took to NPR‘s Tiny Desk to perform 2 of his most popular records, “Buy U A Drank,” and “Up, Down,” and his newest single, “Drankn’ Patna.”

He sang all three into a non-auto-tune-laden microphone, and even joked that should everything go wrong, he has some [auto-tune] in his pocket. Never fear, Teddy didn’t need it. For those that didn’t know the certified hit-maker was already a talented vocalist despite his affinity for adjusting his vocals, the above video clip will more than likely blow you away–especially the part where he turns “Up, Down,” which is by definition a rap song, into something gospel-y. Enjoy.

Pain’s upcoming album, Stoicville: The Phoenix, which will feature “Up Down,” “Drankin’ Patna” and more, is due out next year.

Whoa, I just hear the new T-Pain track and had to share it. I wanna say I lied T-Pain when he first came out. Around the time of this second album I started to view him as an artist who will make some catchy songs that I'd like, but nothing I'd take too serious due to the common subject matter and hit or miss production. However, his new song is DOPE. He's rapping without autotune and the lyrics are flawless. He was an emcee before he started singing and then using autotune, so this is kinda him taking things full circle. Even if you don't like him, I urge you to give this song a listen...

http://www.audiomack.com/song/listenhiphopnow/t-pain-stoicville