JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

LL Cool J To Release New CD "GOAT 2"

bigted

LL brings the flow as usual but this beat is probably the weakest of his tracks he put out for this album so far, he's trying too hard to compete with today's rappers, he needs to go back his classic sound that's made him a legend so this "GOAT 2" could be a classic, btw I really hope "Tell Tha World" gets a music video and becomes a big hit 'cause it's a powerful song

Edited by bigted

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The vibe and sound of the album has already strayed so far from the original, that it's not worthy of being a sequel album.

That's the problem with most sequels in my opinion... they are totally different to the "original" ones and that's not what people expecting when they think of a "GOAT 2" or a "Marshall Mathers LP 2" (same problem there although Em had some references in his lyrics)! Like I said before, Raekwon did a good job on "Only Built For Cuban Linx 2" for example but most sequels aren't even close to the first release! I think most rappers use the name of their classic to gain some attention for more commercial success... otherwise it would be unnecessary to drop a second part if the sound has nothing to do with the first! I'm curious if Game can come up with something that legitimates the title "Documentary 2" in January...

at this point i have mixed opinions about what goat 2 will be like but like i said in the original post of the thread if this is a mix between exit 13 and authentic it'll be another classic, i'm talking music wise of course, i'm hoping it has more success than those 2 albums combined because i'm tired of seeing good music being slept on after all these years.... the more i think about it though i think he should consider renaming the album because music is totally at a different place than it was 15 years ago and he evolved as an artist too, i liked it up to this point that each album has a different title because each album marks a different time capsule, at this point after 30 years o f making music i'm just happy that he's still in the game 'cause a lot of the old school rappers ain't around like that anymore even though a lot of them do record and tour a lil' bit, i know he's just messing around with stuff right now but we've seen glimpses of greatness with "tell tha world" and "i'm nice" to know what he's still capable of to make me have enough hope that the final product will be dope 'cause this is the greatest of all time we're talking about here, i would take a lot of his underground stuff over a lot of the commercial rappers best stuff any day...

He dropped another one called "You Already."

His flow is tight, but the subject matter is stale, and while the production isn't bad, it's not really Hip-Hop...it's today's commercial urban sound. The guest artist adds nothing to the track.

New Music: LL Cool J f/ Troy Ave – ‘You Already’ ll-cool-j-definition.jpg

As he gears up for his album G.O.A.T. 2, LL Cool J keeps turning out songs for the streets. The hip-hop icon links with fellow New Yorker Troy Ave for “You Already.” LL declares himself the “new king of New York,” while Troy revives LL’s 1996 classic “Doin’ It” on the hook.

LL has been working with Mavado, Murda Mook, Raekwon, and Jerry Wonda on the sequel to his 2000 album. “This album is mainly for the ni**as, it’s gritty,” he said. “This one is not for the ladies.”

Earlier in the week, he dropped another song called “Break Your Face.” Listen to both tracks below.

It ain't the classic LL sound but it's still solid though

• 4 weeks later...

here this insightful interview, he speaks with more knowledge in his talks than rappers doing on their albums:

• 3 weeks later...

another new song, seems commercial but effective, this could be a big hit, i like it's smoothness!

Horrible production. I like his delivery, but none of that matters when the production is this terrible. Only two of the songs we've heard so far are worthy of being an album titled GOAT 2.

come on now with that harsh criticism, ll at his worst is still better than 99% of all commercial artists, i would rather hear this song being played on the radio than that young money garbage anyday, i already know that this is just something for the radio, he'll come stronger on the album without a doubt...

LL is one of my favorite emcees and always has been, but there's no reason NOT to harshly criticize this material. While he's kept a nice presence vocally, SOME of the subject matter is weak and unnecessary. The real issue though, is the production. It's wack on most of these songs. It's borderline un-listenable. Sure, it might be better than what on the radio, but real Hip-Hop isn't played on the radio at all. Unless he scraps most of these songs like he did with Authentic Hip-Hop, this album is going to be very disappointing. The kids aren't going to be checking for this because he's not Kanye, but the Hip-Hop heads aren't going to check it either because the sound is so weak. LL should be ashamed. Period.

It looks like these J. Cole and Dayne Jordan albums are going to have to hold me over for awhile.