JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

LL Cool J To Release New CD "GOAT 2"

bigted

I'm so excited, "GOAT" is one of the greatest CDs ever made and I'm confidant this will be too if he comes with the same hunger as "Authentic"!

http://hiphopnews24-7.com/page/ll-cool-j-goat-2

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eh...I'm like totally on the fence about this. I know there's a group of people here who think the GOAT album was one of his bests, I just don't see that. I feel like maybe 6 tracks or so are great and the rest is forgettable. You guys all know I love LL but it seems to me he's having an identity crisis (again). Every couple albums this happens where he wants to be hard and edgy and he can pull it off but I think he sets himself up to fail when he tries too hard (0See songs like Ratchet, All NIght Long - the song AJ posted in the Authentic thread and now this). Maybe you guys don't get what I mean but he's said "he doesnt chase teenage fans" but it seems to me by hooking up with young underground rappers and just hearing these beats and what he's saying, I'm not impressed. You can be hard and edgy but be yourself. Just listening to the lyrics and his extra vulgarity is just disappointing. He doesn't sound like a 40-something year old rapper, he sounds like the trash you hear on the radio. There's just more to be desired. I dont know thats just my opinion.

Edited by DevilsJim89

this is his 15th album coming up and is coming off a classic authentic album and an underrappreciated exit 13 before that, a hit tv show ncis:los angeles, numerous grammy awards hosting duties, and he looks like he hasn't aged in about 10 years, i respect your opinion jim but i know even if you don't like this music he does it's all good 'cause you could always play his other classics ..now i appreciate LL's full body of work but i know it's preference to like some of it, personally i don't think he'll be able to top his 80s and 90s classics but at this point he don't have to he's just having fun, he's in it for the love like he says, and that's why all the classic hip hop artists are in the game still, chuck d is about to drop a new album on his 54th birthday tomorrow, today's rappers can't match these legends hunger, i say my prayers that LL'll give a call to get JJFP collaboration or they do some shows on a kings of the mic tour again...

I'm slightly hesitant towards G.O.A.T. 2 simply because I don't like sequel albums. If you can't capture everything great about the original and present it in a fresh way, DON'T DO IT!

The G.O.A.T. is a huge album to me. It hit me at the right time. At that time in my life, I was going through some things and learning to be a grown-up, and the introspective side of that album gave me what I needed. It's also the last time in my life that I really had one foot firmly planted in the streets, and the album spoke to me on that level. The lyrics, the subject matter, most of the production; I just love the album.

LL is incredibly versatile, and his best albums show all of his sides. I think what has kept most of his albums from being modern classics over the past decade is that he limits his focus on each one. Mr. Smith is his best album in my opinion because it's the last time he perfectly balanced all of his sides.

LL just put "This album ain't about crossing over...." on his Facebook an hour ago. If he can capture the energy of The G.O.A.T. on the new album, I'm all for it. If the production isn't that classic sound and the beats aren't right (like some of Exit 13), I'm going to be disappointed. "Hustle" isn't exactly what I had in mind when it comes to the new album. I'm also not trying to hear a ton of guests and current rappers on the album. The G.O.A.T. had Method Man, DMX, Redman, Snoop, Funkmaster Flex, Kelly Price, Carl Thomas, etc....but let's be honest, today's successful artists simply aren't as good.

I'm anxious for new music from LL. Let's hope he does it right.

well if it wasn't for the goat album i don't think i'd been rapping today still, that album changed my life, it actually got me more serious on my emceeing back when i was a sophmore in high school in september 2000! now my favorite work from him since then has actually been believe it or not the return of the goat mixtape back when he turned 40 years old, he was freestyling on there with the hunger of a teenager which i felt was quite inspiring! now as far as his albums in the last 10+ years, my favorite has actually been "10" which i thought was dissapointing following the goat but the more i've listened to it over the years i realised that it was a well balanced album with "big momma" being the deepest song of his career where he dedicated it to his grandmother who was quite an inspiration to him..."exit 13" might've been a few songs too long but i thought it was one of the dopest of hip hop in the 2000s, especially "rocking with the goat"

I'm hesitant on this because I feel like he's been pulled back and forth a LOT over the last 10 years. He goes from one extreme to the other. He'll made an album of love songs, club songs, and then an album trying too hard to appeal to kids. If makes GOAT 2 in the same spirit of GOAT and represents himself as himself, it'll be quality.

• 2 weeks later...

LL released a new single "I'm Nice" featuring Raekwon and Murda Mook, it's complete fire, there's no way to hate on this!

http://ambrosiaforheads.com/2014/08/llcoolj/

That beat is dope. It's classic and fresh all at the same time. I like it's rough edge, though it isn't exactly my dream line up of emcees. Still dope though. This song fits on an album title GOAT 2 better than the other stuff we've heard.

LL released a new single "I'm Nice" featuring Raekwon and Murda Mook, it's complete fire, there's no way to hate on this!

http://ambrosiaforheads.com/2014/08/llcoolj/

The song is pretty cool but the hook is garbage... don't like Ron Browz at all!

In general, I'm not a fan of follow up lp's to classic albums 'cause they raise the expectations and you think they'll sound similar to the first one... usually they disappoint when you compare them to the classics! (For example the Marshall Mathers LP 2) Wouldn't be the case if you just use a different title...

Only real good follow up that comes in my mind right now is Raekwon's Only Built 4 Cuban Linx 2 although the first one is still better but I was surprised that he dropped such a good second part!

LL's on the ed lover show tonight on sirius xm backspin old school hip hop station, i get that station on my dish network so I'll let y'all know how it goes

I've been listening to this LL interview tonite and he said that he's dissapointed about how Will Smith has abandoned hip hop music for Hollywood, he says that's the difference between Will and him is that he could never leave hip hop no matter how much in Hollywood that he does and I gotta say that I agree with him on that, Will talked about how much he loved hip hop when he released Lost and Found but then 9 years later there's no album and he can't even do a tour with Jeff, y'all know I'm one of Will's biggest fans but I'm dissapointed in him too

Edited by bigted

I found his interview with Big Boy on Power 106 Los Angeles yesterday:

if these kids don't know ll cool j is a rapper then i can't respect their opinion on hip hop