JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

BUSTA RHYMES - EXTINCTION LEVEL EVENT 2

Eminem's "The Slim Shady EP" Made Busta Rhymes Break Wyclef Jean's Tour Bus Windshield

by Andres Tardio

posted July 03, 2014 at 2:00PM EST | 38 comments

bustarhymes_7-3-14.jpg

Busta Rhymes says "Extinction Level Event 2" is "a bare bones Hip Hop, fundamental, boom-bap record."

When Busta Rhymes heard Eminem's The Slim Shady EP, he says he had a reaction that damaged the bus he was in.

"We were on the Smokin' Grooves tour in the back of one of the venues and Wyclef has this big-ass studio on his bus so we always wanted to go hang out and he was playing The Slim Shady EP," Busta Rhymes says in an interview with Rolling Stone. "Before I could actually get on the bus, I was standing on the three little steps that you walk up to get on to the bus and I was nodding my head so ****ing hard, going crazy, that I hit my head on the windshield and broke the whole ****in' windshield of Wyclef's bus. It ****ed the whole glass up."

Eminem appears on Busta Rhymes' "Calm Down," a cut off Extinction Level Event 2, a project Busta Rhymes also describes in his Rolling Stone interview.

"It's a bare bones Hip Hop, fundamental, boom-bap record," he says. "It's samples, hard kicks, hard snares and a whole lot of ****ing bars of rapping with both metaphors and punchlines. It's a friendly reminder to today's generation of what this whole thing is based on."

In a piece published yesterday (July 2), Busta Rhymes spoke about his Eminem collaboration "Calm Down."

"We just kept going back and forth, just competitive," Busta said. "It started to really feel like we battling each other. It started to feel like a three minute and eight second song. After we kept sending it back and forth, it ended up being six minutes. We was like, 'Yo, listen, it's one thing to say 'F the rules, but it's another thing to say we O.D.in'.' But it's a beautiful piece of art...You're probably never gonna experience a moment like this before. It's our first time going in this crazy on a record unlike we've ever done on our own records before and probably unlike what we'll do on any other record again. It's special."

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/id.29581/title.eminem-s-the-slim-shady-ep-made-busta-rhymes-break-wyclef-jean-s-tour-bus-windshield

BUSTA ALWAYS BRINGS IT

Busta Rhymes Criticizes Today's Rap, Confirms Eminem Mixed "Calm Down"

by Andres Tardio

posted July 09, 2014 at 4:00PM EST | 45 comments

bustarhymes_304.jpg

Busta Rhymes says songs sound the same nowadays.

Busta Rhymes says he feels there's something missing in Rap today.

"I just feel like balance is always necessary and I think that’s part of the reason why a lot of the way the climate shift happens," Busta says in an interview with XXL. "I think there’s balance that is needed. If we had a little more balance, the way the **** would feel overall would be a lot different. For me, I come from a time when balance was primary in the 1990s. I’m not trying to live in the past 'cause I’m not about that. It just seems to me that the past was a lot more forward-thinking. Everybody is trying to make it a primary respective law to not copy each other’s **** and not try to sound like each other’s ****. Everybody put time into thinking what is the next new way you do things so you stand alone and you stand out. That’s the way the balance was maintained, upheld and upkept. Everybody had their own lane and everybody stayed in it. And if you tried to evolve, you evolved in your own way and in your own lane of doing you. Today, when you go in the club, eight

different mother****ers' **** sound like one long record to me."

Recently, Busta Rhymes released "Calm Down," a song that features Eminem. During this XXL interview, Busta confirmed Eminem also mixed the record.

"Em ended up mixing the record and he did an incredible job 'cause I like my **** to hit hard and I like to push the levels all the way up to the red so that it's right before distortion, but not distorted," he says. "He just brought that real gritty, boom-bap slap out of the record by doing the incredible job with the mixing. Of course, you can’t do that with a record unless you got the tools to do it with. My man Scoop DeVille, he made a helluva slapper with the production of the beat."

Earlier this month, Busta Rhymes spoke about "Calm Down."

"We just kept going back and forth, just competitive," he said. "It started to really feel like we battling each other. It started to feel like a three minute and eight second song. After we kept sending it back and forth, it ended up being six minutes. We was like, 'Yo, listen, it's one thing to say 'F the rules, but it's another thing to say we O.D.in'.' But it's a beautiful piece of art...You're probably never gonna experience a moment like this before. It's our first time going in this crazy on a record unlike we've ever done on our own records before and probably unlike what we'll do on any other record again. It's special."

• 2 weeks later...
Busta Rhymes Details Cash Money Departure, Eminem Direction

by Danielle Harling

posted July 23, 2014 at 5:00PM EST | 42 comments

Busta%20Rhymes_07-23-2014.jpg

Busta Rhymes says his departure from Aftermath and later Cash Money didn't happen "in a negative way."

Several weeks ago, Busta Rhymes released the Scoop DeVille-produced “Calm Down,” a record that also features a guest verse from Eminem and is scheduled to appear on Busta Rhymes’ upcoming album, Extinction Level Event 2. Although the song was released late last month, Busta revealed that the record has been in the works for quite some time, during his interview on

• 4 weeks later...