JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

The state of the music industry has been in shambles for a long time but I could say I'm at least looking forward to seeing LL Cool J hosting(his brilliant album "Authentic" not getting any nominations shows the state of the game) and the Jay-Z/Beyoncé performance which is more than most of the recent Grammy shows, if anybody's looking forward to anything from tonight's show post it here

I heard Macklemore & Lewis won several Grammies in the hip hop category already, I have nothing against them but I just don't see all the hype there to get all the accolades like that

My verdict on Macklemore & Lewis is the same as basically every popular hip hop artist that's been out since 2000, there's some rappers that show a breath of fresh air in between(On another note I enjoyed their performance with Madonna and Queen Latifah doing that marriage ceremony, that was touching) but they ain't on the same level as the 1980s/1990s golden age hip hop legends who made great music back then and still put out quality music today... In my opinion LL Cool J's "Authentic" is one of the most unique hip hop albums in years 'cause it experiments with legends from different genres like Earth Wind & Fire, Charlie Wilson, Monica, Bootsy Collins, Brad Paisley, Snoop, Chuck D, and Eddie Van Halen to make a unique piece of music genius, this is probably my most played LL album since he put out "G.O.A.T." in 2000 which shoulda won best hip hop album over "Marshall Mathers LP" back then, I also liked the 2013 albums from KRS One, Hieroglyphics, and Pete Rock but they never get any mainstream attention anyway even when they had somewhat popularity in the 1990s, the fact that some of the greatest emcees like Nas, Chuck D, 2Pac, Biggie, Slick Rick, Ice Cube, and Talib Kweli never won any Grammies tells you that the music industry don't respect hip hop the way that they should, and LL even made a statement in the beginning of the show when he was hosting about how millions of people don't know that he makes music too besides hosting the show is a telling and disturbing sign of hip hop 'cause he's arguably the greatest emcee of the genre and if people don't know about the greatest emcee of the genre then they don't respect hip hop that's like talking about comedy and not knowing who Bill Cosby is

Grammy Awards 2014 winners

465278475.jpg
By Style Staff, Published: January 26

Album of the Year: “Random Access Memories,” Daft Punk

Record of the Year: “Get Lucky” Daft Punk featuring Pharrell Williams & Nile Rodgers

Song of the year: “Royals” Joel Little & Ella Yelich O'Connor (Lorde)

Best country album: “Same Trailer Different Park” Kasey Musgraves

Best pop vocal album: “Unorthodox Jukebox” Bruno Mars

Best rap/sung collaboration: “Holy Grail” Jay Z featuring Justin Timberlake

Best pop solo performance: “Royals” Lorde

Best pop duo/group performance: “Get Lucky” Daft Punk featuring Pharrell Williams & Nile Rodgers

Best rock song: “Cut me some slack” Dave Grohl, Paul McCartney, Krist Novoselic & Pat Smear

Best new artist: Macklemore & Ryan Lewis

Best music film: “Live Kisses,” Paul McCartney

Best music video: “Suit and Tie,” Justin Timberlake featuring Jay Z

Producer of the year, non-classical: Pharrell Williams

Best R&B album: “Girl On Fire,” Alicia Keys

Best rap performance:“Thrift Shop,” Macklemore and Ryan Lewis featuring Wanz

Best rap song: “Thrift Shop” Ben Haggerty & Ryan Lewis

Best rap album: “The Heist,” Macklemore and Ryan Lewis

Best rock performance: “Radioactive,” Imagine Dragons

Best metal performance: “God Is Dead?,” Black Sabbath

Best rock album: “Celebration Day,” Led Zeppelin

Best alternative music album: “Modern Vampires Of The City,” Vampire Weekend

Best country solo performance: “Wagon Wheel,” Darius Rucker

Best country duo/group performance: “From This Valley,” The Civil Wars

Best country song: “Merry Go 'Round,” Shane McAnally, Kacey Musgraves and Josh Osborne

Best american roots song: “Love Has Come For You,” Edie Brickell and Steve Martin

Best americana album: “Old Yellow Moon,” Emmylou Harris and Rodney Crowell

Best bluegrass album: “The Streets Of Baltimore,” Del McCoury Band

Best blues album: “Get Up!,” Ben Harper with Charlie Musselwhite

Best folk album: “My Favorite Picture Of You,” Guy Clark

Best regional roots music album: “Dockside Sessions,” Terrance Simien and the Zydeco Experience

Best pop instrumental album: “Steppin’ Out,” Herb Alpert

Best traditional pop vocal album: “To Be Loved,” Michael Buble

Best new age album: “Love’s River,” Laura Sullivan

Best improvised jazz solo: “Orbits,” Wayne Shorter

Best jazz vocal album: “Liquid Spirit,” Gregory Porter

Best jazz instrumental album: “Money Jungle: Provocative In Blue,” Terri Lyne Carrington

Best large jazz ensemble album: “Night In Calisia,” Randy Brecker, Włodek Pawlik Trio & Kalisz Philharmonic

Best latin jazz album: “Song For Maura” Paquito D'Rivera And Trio Corrente

Best gospel/contemporary christian music performance: “Break Every Chain [Live],” Tasha Cobbs

Best gospel song: “If He Did It Before . . . Same God [Live],” Tye Tribbett

Best contemporary christian music song: “Overcomer,” David Garcia, Ben Glover & Christopher Stevens, songwriters (Mandisa)

Best gospel album: “Greater Than [Live],” Tye Tribbett

Best contemporary christian music album: “Overcomer,” Mandisa

Best latin pop album: “Vida,” Draco Rosa

Best latin rock, urban or alternative album: “Treinta Días,” La Santa Cecilia

Best regional mexican music album (including tejano): “A Mi Manera,” Mariachi Divas De Cindy Shea

Best tropical latin album: “Pacific Mambo Orchestra,” Pacific Mambo Orchestra

Best reggae album: “Ziggy Marley In Concert,” Ziggy Marley

Best world music album: “Savor Flamenco,” Gipsy Kings and “Live: Singing For Peace Around The World,” Ladysmith Black Mambazo

Best children’s album: “Throw a Penny In The Wishing Well,” Jennifer Gasoi

Best spoken word album (includes poetry, audio books & storytelling): “America Again: Re-becoming The Greatness We Never Weren’t,” Stephen Colbert

Best instrumental composition: “Pensamientos For Solo Alto Saxophone And Chamber Orchestra,” Clare Fischer, composer

Best instrumental arrangement: “On Green Dolphin Street,” Gordon Goodwin, arranger

Best instrumental arrangement accompanying vocalist(s): “Swing Low,” Gil Goldstein, arranger (Bobby McFerrin & Esperanza Spalding)

Best recording package: “Long Night Moon,” Sarah Dodds and Shauna Dodds, art directors (Reckless Kelly)

Best boxed or special limited edition package: “Wings Over America (Deluxe Edition),” Simon Earith and James Musgrave, art directors (Paul McCartney And Wings)

Best album notes: “Afro Blue Impressions (Remastered & Expanded),” Neil Tesser, album notes writer (John Coltrane)

Best Historical Album: “Charlie Is My Darling — Ireland 1965” and “The Complete Sussex and Columbia Albums”

Best engineered album, non-classical: “Random Access Memories,” Peter Franco, Mick Guzauski, Florian Lagatta and Daniel Lerner, engineers; Antoine “Chab” Chabert, Bob Ludwig, mastering engineers (Daft Punk)

Best remixed recording, non-classical: “Summertime Sadness (Cedric Gervais Remix),” Cedric Gervais, remixer (Lana Del Rey)

Best surround sound album:”Live Kisses,” Al Schmitt, surround mix engineer; Tommy LiPuma, surround producer (Paul McCartney)

Best engineered album, classical: “Winter Morning Walks,” David Frost, Brian Losch and Tim Martyn, engineers; Tim Martyn, mastering engineer (Dawn Upshaw, Maria Schneider, Australian Chamber Orchestra and St. Paul Chamber Orchestra)

Producer of the year, classical: David Frost

Best orchestral performance: “Sibelius: Symphonies Nos. 1 and 4,” Osmo Vänskä, conductor

Best opera recording: “Adès: The Tempest,” Thomas Adès, conductor; Simon Keenlyside, Isabel Leonard, Audrey Luna and Alan Oke; Jay David Saks, producer

Best choral performance: “Pärt: Adam’s Lament,” Tõnu Kaljuste, conductor

Best chamber music/small ensemble performance: “Roomful Of Teeth,” Brad Wells and Roomful Of Teeth

Best classical instrumental solo: “Corigliano: Conjurer - Concerto For Percussionist and String Orchestra,” featuring Evelyn Glennie and the Albany Symphony Orchestra

Best classical vocal solo: “Winter Morning Walks,” Dawn Upshaw

Best classical compendium: “Hindemith: Violinkonzert; Symphonic Metamorphosis; Konzertmusik,” Christoph Eschenbach, conductor

Best contemporary classical composition: “Schneider, Maria: Winter Morning Walks,” Maria Schneider, composer

Best comedy album: “Calm Down Gurrl,” Kathy Griffin

Best musical theater album: “Kinky Boots”

Best compilation soundtrack for visual media: “Sound City: Real To Reel”

Best score soundtrack for visual media: “Skyfall,” Thomas Newman, composer

Best song written for visual media: “Skyfall,” Adele Adkins and Paul Epworth

Best dance recording: “Clarity,” Zedd featuring Foxes

Best dance/electronica album: “Random Access Memories,” Daft Punk

Best R&B performance: “Something,” Snarky Puppy With Lalah Hathaway

Best traditional r&b performance: “Please Come Home,” Gary Clark Jr.

Best R&B song: “Pusher Love Girl,” James Fauntleroy, Jerome Harmon, Timothy Mosley and Justin Timberlake

Best urban contemporary album: “Unapologetic,” Rihanna

Edited by JumpinJack AJ

I agree that Authentic should have been nominated, but holding the Grammy's to any kind of standard is ridiculous. We know commercial rap sucks. You can only discuss a certain topic for so long. I suggest that we celebrate the fact that Macklemore is dope and is a forward-thinking emcee. We haven't been able to celebrate that in a long time. People say Kendrick should have won something, but to be honest, I personally feel his overrated from what I heard.

I don't know who all the nominees were, but I'm happy to see A. Keys won't for "Girl On Fire." I love that JT's "Pusher Love GIrl" won R&B song. Pharrell winning as a producer and "Suit & Tie" winning for the music video award satisfies me as well. Mandisa winning in the Christian category is great, but I was really hoping Britt Nicole would win something (I'm not even sure if she was nominated).

Well I ain't gonna dwell anymore in this thread about the crap state of the music industry, btw here's that Macklemore/Lewis/Queen Latifah/Mary Lambert/Madonna "Same Love" performance:

http://youtu.be/A6OVxPiZQDc

Thanks for the link Schnazz, Congrats to all the winners, thanks for the list AJ, I know the music industry ain't perfect but it did turn out to be a good awards show, btw here's the John Legend "All Of Me" performance:

http://youtu.be/M754ysmwTGU

I found this article interesting. Christian singer Natalie Grant left the show, even though she was up for an award, because she thought it was tasteless.

Christian Grammy Nominee Natalie Grant Walks Out of the Grammys
Natalie-Grant.jpgChristian Contemporary music star Natalie Grant was nominated for two Grammys.

Grant was up for Best Gospel/Contemporary Christian Music Performance for “Alive (Mary Magdelene),” a song she wrote with her husband Bernie Helms, and Best Christian Music Song for the chart-topping “Hurricane.”

The couple went to the Grammys proud to represent gospel music. Little did they know when they arrived at the Los Angeles Staples Center that they’d be going to church.

To warm up the congregation and open the service, Beyoncé twerked her ample bethonged derriere to the delight of millions. After that, Natalie and Bernie were subjected to Mrs. Carter sitting astride a chair in, shall we say, an extremely come-hither position.

Next the high-powered billionaire, Jay-Z ,and his bodacious bride left little to imagination about what goes on in their boudoir when nobody’s looking.

From there, Natalie got to see pop star Katy Perry, who used to sing about Jesus. However, since crossing over into showbiz stardom she’s been circling the vortex of hellish behavior for years. Katy, wearing an illuminated Knights Templar cross on her chest, pushed the envelope beyond ‘kissing a girl’ in what even the secular media described as a Satanic Ritual, or at best, witchcraft.

Right about that time Natalie and Bernie were probably starting to feel out of place among people winning awards for being “Up all night to ‘Get lucky.’”

It’s unclear which debauched performance prompted Natalie Grant and Bernie Helms to call it a night.

Hopefully, they were already gone and missed the church-like mockery that was overseen by Reverend Latifah. Wedding music was compliments of a menopausal Madonna on behalf of 34 same- and mixed-sex couples who tied the knot on what’s supposed to be a music awards show.

Refusing to pass judgment on the debacle, after she left Natalie had this to say on her Facebook page, which in a few words said so much:

We left the Grammy’s early. I’ve many thoughts about the show tonight, most of which are probably better left inside my head. But I’ll say this: I’ve never been more honored to sing about Jesus and for Jesus. And I’ve never been more sure of the path I’ve chosen.

Read more at http://theblacksphere.net/2014/01/christian-grammy-nominee-natalie-grant-walks-grammys/#qWUGhvCC7lCGsuKb.99

Edited by JumpinJack AJ

I'd say the music industry been tasteless for years so it's not really surprising that there's tasteless stuff on these award shows, I give Natalie Grant credit for taking a stand