JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Jeff's Birthday

Hero1

Okay, mine is about the length of Jim's and I can't do it again...lol. I just spent my entire evening changing what I was saying to condense it...lol. The thing is, I never upload videos online, so I'm wondering how I can get this to Kev. It's too big for email, so I'm uploading it to YouTube. Which is apparently going to take 6 hours on my slow computer. Any suggestions for me? I only have NOW because I need to get to bed soon, plus I have working the morning.

Well I don't have a webcam or a phone with a camera, hard to believe in 2014 ha ha but I could record an audio track through my headset as a tribute to Jeff and JJFP for his birthday. I'll probably mention my favorite album "He's The DJ, I'm The Rapper", sure the other albums are brilliant especially "Code Red" of course like us JJFP fans all love but that "He's The DJ, I'm The Rapper" was brilliant masterpiece of that vintage 1980s golden era that won the first ever grammy award for hip hop. To me that album is one of the most important albums in hip hop history, along with Nas' "Illmatic", Public Enemy "It Takes A Nation Of Millions", LL Cool J "Mama Said Knock You Out", and Boogie Down Productions "Criminal Minded"(KRS-ONE), and maybe a few other ones that you could debate the top 15-20 of all time(the greats like 2Pac, Slick Rick, Heavy D, Queen Latifah, MC Lyte, Ice Cube, Ice-T, Snoop, Dr. Dre, Naughty By Nature, Tribe Called Quest, Big Daddy Kane, Beastie Boys, Run-Dmc, Outkast, Salt N Pepa, DMX, Doug E Fresh, Kool Moe Dee, MC Hammer, Biggie, Hieroglyphics, and Jay-Z come to mind). I'm around the same age as Jim so I could relate to what he's saying about being in high school with classmates who were into G-Unit, Terror Squad, and Roc-a-fella rappers, I liked some of their songs too, I even admit to like "Back That A$$ up by Juvenile, Mannie Fresh, and Lil' Wayne, but I was more inspired by the old school hip hoplike I mentioned in my top 20 list, and like Jim I relate to how we'd grow in the pre-youtube days so I'd learn a lot about the history of hip hop through music video specials on MTV, BET, and VH1... I could actually trace back around 96-98 when I was transistioned from 6th grade/7th grade(elementary to middle school), I was mostly into r&b more when I was younger but when I got a stereo for Christmas of '96 along with LL Cool J's "All World" album it changed everything. I was starting to watch "Fresh Prince Of Bel Air", "In The House", "MTV Jams Countdown with Bill Bellamy", "Soul Train", alongside my favorite sports programs like "NBA Inside Stuff", "Sportscenter", and "This Week In Baseball", and my cartoons like "Ren & Stimpy", "Doug", and "Rocko's Modern Life", haha, some good times. In a day and age when everything is ipods, mp3s, youtube, and facebook/twitter digital where you find more through there than you do the TV I look at it as the gift and the curse because nowadays it's easier to get more recognition than you'd the pre-online era but the true artists these days don't get paid much since record salesare down across the board, I believe that's one of the reasons why Will hasn't released anything since 2005 since doing music don't pay the bills anymore, Will still loves hip hop though and I still try to hold belief in my heart that he'll do something soon. Anyway back to my point I actually liked it better back in the days where I'd anticipate hearing a CD/cassette through delivery of the mail from the BMG Music Club, I'd get a majority of music through them from like '97-2005 until I started dealing with amazon.com and I actually didn't get an mp3 player until last year after I bought a laptop, sure MP3s are more convienant but I still like that physical product, I got some records too, and sure rapping is still a major passion of mine but I got told by many people that I should consider being a DJ, Jeff is definitely a major influence on me musically. By the time summer '97 when "Men In Black" came out I became more intrigued with Will musically and got the "Men In Black" soundtrack, "Big Willie Style" came out around the holidays of '97 and like a lot of kids of that time that album was on my wishlist and that album made me just as excited for hip hop like LL Cool J's "All World" album, that's why 2 this day LL and Fresh Prince are my 2 favorite mcs, KRS One is right up there too for me 'cause his "I Got Next" album was big at the time too. After I got the JJFP greatest hits album in '98 it was confirmed that they were up there with Boyz II Men as my favorite groups in music of all time, to me it's the equivilant of the Chicago Bulls in basketball, NY Yankees in baseball. "Willenium" is really up there with "Code Red" as far as quality is concerned, both albums were outsold by Dr. Dre's "Chronic" albums that were released around those times but I rank Jeff as a better producer than Dre, "So Fresh" is one of my favorite JJFP tracks besides "I'm Looking For The One", "Summertime", and "Brand New Funk". Nothing could replace all those great memories of my youth, thank you JJFP and happy birthday to the greatest DJ of all time Jazzy Jeff with hope of even better memories in the future of the restoration of hip hop, let's get it done together, peace.

I'm pretty sure I'm not gonna be able to be a part of this video. My computer simply isn't built to upload it. Around 11:30 last night I started uploading it. It's now 5:54 the following evening and it's only 40% uploaded. It went from 3 hours, to 6 hours, to 19 hours, and now 28 hours. All this for a four minute video that consumed my entire evening to shoot....lol. I wish there was some other way. I can't email it because the file is too big.

• Admin

AJ have you got windows movie maker? it should be free if you have windows.. if so open that..select your video file..and then select save for the web/ and you'll be able to save a smaller file size then upload to youtube

I just recorded my audio for Jeff, check it on my audio page:

http://www.chirbit.com/bigted3485