JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

David Guggenheim to write Bad Boys 3 script

fan 4ever

Briefly: People have wondered for years why all involved havent pulled the trigger on Bad Boys 3 it seems like such an obvious move in a studio culture that is all about sequels. But this one has, in the past, required the willingness of two stars and a director. That complicates the process.

Now that theres been a little power structure change at Sony, installing Michael De Luca as production co-president with a mandate to up the quality of the studios tentpole films, it looks like that sequel will happen. A writer is almost signed, but thats just the first step in the process. Read more below.

Deadline reports that Sony is in now in the first early talks with David Guggenheim (Safe House) to script Bad Boys 3, and obviously the hope is that Will Smith and Martin Lawrence will sign to return.

The site also says that Michael Bay doesnt seem to be involved at this point despite making the first two movies. Those two films, and the second in particular, are emblematic of Bays technique; his name is simultaneous with the films. Hire another director and segments of the audience wouldnt notice, but a lot of the people who want a third movie want one made by Bay. None of this means he wont be involved, but at this point there isnt even a script, so a lot can happen. The film might not even get made. This isnt the first time someone has been hired to write a Bad Boys 3 script.

(Deadline also explicitly says that Men in Black is being rebooted, which weve generally known, and mentions the full reboot of Ghostbusters, as well also a familiar topic.)

Source: slashfilm.com

Those two films, and the second in particular, are emblematic of Bays technique; his name is simultaneous with the films. Hire another director and segments of the audience wouldnt notice, but a lot of the people who want a third movie want one made by Bay.

100% agreed. Michael Bay is not a great director, but, in my opinion, he's the only one who can make a decent 'Bad Boys' movie.

That said, I love the fact that they're still talking about this project! It's the only sequel that I want Will to be in. Can't wait for more news!

Bad Boys is one of the few movies that FP has done that deserves a sequel on every level. I'm not heavy into films; I like what I like and I don't like what I don't like. That being said, I'm not crazy about specific actors, directors, etc. For Bad Boys, it definitely has to be FP, Martin, and Michael Bay. It's their world and won't be as great as the other films without involvement from all three of them. I feel the article is weird because BB3 was never abandoned, like they kinda lead on to. They've spoken about it openly from time to time over the years, and it's not like it didn't take ages for the second one to be made.

I'm bummed to see that MIB is being rebooted. To me, Bad Boys and Men In Black are the only movies he's done that I feel could go on forever. On top of thatI, Robot, Sharktale, Wild Wild West (yeah, I said it) and maybe Enemy of the State are the only others I feel might deserve one or two more movies if the scripts were right. The others have stories that don't need sequels or they simply weren't good enough for them (yeah, I'm talking about you, Hancock). I suppose keeping Tommy Lee Jones involved in MIB and where they left off on the last film is a good spot to end them, but I believe they could keep going. And why did they bring up up Ghostbusters? I feel that's just bad luck by mentioning it...lol.