JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

How to fix Will Smith's career

Hero1

I can agree with some things in the article, and others are just plain hateful and trying to be funny but not achieving it. Really wish I didnt lose my time reading it all.

• Admin

I think he makes some good points about Will being in an ensemble cast and not controlling every aspect of his movies.. and choosing riskier roles. Django Unchained is the perfect example.

I think we can agree on the points you mentioned... though I'm glad he didn't make Django. I've never been a fan of Tarantino, especially after the comments he has made concerning the violence in his movies, and I think Will had some very valid points about the plot of the movie.

But as Visqo said, a good portion of that article was hateful or snarky. You called it a "great" article.

In spite of a few points we can agree on, I think referencing this... http://mattpatches.c...out-scientology ... in addition to a number of other things disqualified the article as being "great." It's only a "great" article if you dislike Will Smith.

though I'm glad he didn't make Django. I've never been a fan of Tarantino, especially after the comments he has made concerning the violence in his movies, and I think Will had some very valid points about the plot of the movie.

Like it or not, 'Django' was a successful movie, and Will would have been perfect in it.

I think rejecting that role was Will's biggest mistake since turning down the role of Neo in 'Matrix'.

I dont think of it as a Mistake. Will probably would not have been a good Neo. Who knows if he would have been a good Django? things like these "what if" have to be taken both sides knowing that there are reasons that we dont really know for why things happen the way they do..

I dont think of it as a Mistake. Will probably would not have been a good Neo. Who knows if he would have been a good Django? things like these "what if" have to be taken both sides knowing that there are reasons that we dont really know for why things happen the way they do..

Well, that's true. I guess I should have said "in my opinion" :lol:

Im gonna be honest i didnt read the article properly, im kinda sick of the hating on Will because this is his first film that didnt open number 1 in America in God knows how many years. Not sure that counts as his career as broken. Its a blip if anything, i have no doubt hes gonna come back with another and get back to his position at number 1 again. Will chose to take a step back from movies for a few years, as a fan, it sucks, but he decided to take time with his family, its unfair of us to hate on that.

I agree that he needs to step away from the kids careers a bit but he's till gonna encourage them to do their best because thats the kind of person he is.

This is all just typical of what happens when someone becomes a huge star, they try to bring them back down, if i hear him get called a scientologist one more time i think im gonna go nuts, i wish Will would just come out and say hes not, instead of trying to come across as open to religion, its just easier for his career if he just says it plain and simple.

Edited by Jazzy Julie

Let me guess, the writer is a white guy, 20-37 years old? I'm guessing this because most annoying, overly opinionated, arrogant writers/personalities that come off this way ARE. LOL While I agree with some of the points made, the whole tone of it is annoying and off.

The truth is, Happyness is probably the last FP movie that I truly enjoyed. I like MIB3 and Seven Pounds. I grew to like Legend (other than the end), but the magic of his movies has fizzled. Granted, I don't care about them much. I'm all about the music, but USUALLY I hyped up when they drop and enjoy them. And I STILL haven't seen After Earth. I'm just busy, and this isn't Bad Boys, Hitch, or MIB. I will in the next couple of days.

I think the bottom line is this, there is a time to produce and have creative control over your movies, and time to let it go. He's not going to grow if he isn't challenged, stirred up, and stretched. COLLABORATING is key in movies, TV, and theater. If he fails to collaborate and let some control go, I could see things staying like this. The same goes for his kids career; have involvement TO A POINT. I have to say that I don't like Tarantino at all. I've watched Pulp Fiction through and pieces of a few of his other movies and for the most part, I hated them. They have a specific taste for a specific kind of person.

Not every movie can be a hit. He's had lack luster success before. People are just making a big deal of it this time. They still love him though. He'll always have that on his side and that's why reactions like this are just a flash in the pan.