JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Jazzy Jeff Scratch (Instrumental, 1985)

Ale

Have a feeling this is the other Jazzy Jeff, that was somewhat famous in the 80s

Really? Wow. Then I guess Wikipedia must be wrong:

As a duo, they had several gold and platinum-selling albums and singles in the late 1980s and early 1990s, earning them the first rap Grammy Award ever presented in 1989 for Parents Just Don't Understand. One of the first records Jazzy Jeff ever appeared on was with The Korner Boyz (Street Artz Records) "Bust The Move and The Soga of Roxanne) Which featured legendary Philly Rapper / MC Parry P and Grand Tone. The Instrumental was called "Jazzy Jeff Scratch" (1985). DJ Jazzy Jeff along with DJ Cash Money is credited with making the transform scratch famous.
Does anybody know more about this? I'd like to find out if it's our Jeff or not.
Edited by Ale

It may be right Dude. As far as i know, the other Jazzy Jeff was a rapper anyway, and some of them scratches sound like an early JJ style.

I've never heard this before so I'm really interested. I sounds like Jeff scratching, but back then, turntablism was a little limited, so it's more likely for DJ's to sound like one another. It sounds so much like him tho' that it's hard to believe it isn't. To my knowledge, Jeff never had anything on wax until JJ+FP. My knowledge could be completely wrong though.

The other Jazzy Jeff is an emcee from the 70's/80's Hip-Hop group Funky 4+1. I wasn't familiar with the group since I was so young, but when I did research on them awhile back, I found out they were true pioneers. They were the first group to have a female emcee, the first group from the Bronx to land a deal, and the first group to be on national TV (yes, before Sugarhill Gang and Run DMC). I've only ever seen the album On Fire by him and the "King Heroin" 12" single. I originally read that he sued DJ Jazzy Jeff over the name, but later read that he sued Jive. The funny thing was, his solo music was released on Jive. It certainly wasn't that serious because the Source or XXL held an even in the late 90's celebrating Hip-Hop and both Jazzy Jeff's were at it. They even posed together for a picture.

By the way, MC Jazzy Jeff actually won the rights of the name in the lawsuit, so I'm not sure how all of that worked out since Jazzy never stopped using it. Maybe he just got lots of money...lol