JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

After Earth Box Office

Hero1

• Admin

They were predicting a disappointing $35-$40 million weekend but early word is it might not even make $20 million... Remember Hancock made lose to $60, I Am Legend was over $70... For a supposed summer blockbuster that's very low.

• Admin

From www.deadline.com

Sources are telling me that based on matinee trends Sony Pictures’ After Earth (3,401 theaters) starring Will Smith and his son and directed by the now unwatchable M Night Shyamalan is looking to open around low- to mid-$20sM for this weekend. That’s much less than the high $30sM to low $40sM which Sony was predicting. Rival studios tell me it’s “2.5 times worse that Jaden Smith’s Karate Kid reboot and half of Oblivion‘s opening”. Reviews for the newcomer were just plain awful: 13% positive on Rotten Tomatoes. Big online ticketseller Fandango spotted the pic’s underperformance first when After Earth ticket sales began lagging Lionsgate/Summit Entertainment’s Now You See Me (2,925 theaters) on Thursday for shows beginning at 9 PM. Right now my sources see the magic-themed heist thriller debuting in the low $20sM which is slightly better than the $20M which the studio was predicting. It began selling tickets for shows beginning at 7 PM Thursday. Still holding fierce at #1 is Universal’s Fast & Furious 6 (3,686 theaters) which should easily dominate the field again with $35M-$40M this weekend (though my sources think it could do even better than that). Continuing to fill that drought in family fare at the domestic box office, Twentieth Century Fox/Blue Sky Studios’ Epic (3,894 theaters, the weekend’s biggest count) should do high teens this weekend. But the toon’s real story will be international where it releases wide today. There’s unsettling domestic news for Warner Bros/Legendary Pictures’ The Hangover Part III (3,565 theaters) which on only its second weekend already is lagging Paramount’s Star Trek Into Darkness (3,585 theaters) which has been in release a week longer. The weekend numbers are looking like $12M-$13M vs $15M-$16M. However, H3 begins its overseas wide rollout today and should do huge international grosses. More later…

Will's career is in trouble. It's been since 2006's Pursuit of Happyness that he was in a good movie. He needs to stop micro-managing everything on his movies and just be an actor in a movie with a top director. He also needs dial it back with Jaden. Like Willow let him just be a kid for a couple of years.

• Admin

But #3 After Earth earned only a ‘B’ CinemaScore which won’t help or hurt word of mouth. It opened to $9.8M Friday (including $1M from 9 PM Thursday late shows and Friday midnights) for a $27.2M weekend. That’s way less than the high $30sM to low $40sM which Sony was predicting and which tracking showed was possible right into Friday. Rival studios chortled it’s “2.5 times worse than Jaden Smith’s Karate Kid reboot and half of Oblivion‘s opening” with Tom Cruise. Not hard to understand why because reviews for the sci-fi newcomer were just plain awful: 13% positive on Rotten Tomatoes. To be fair, Sony Pictures rarely has a big underperformer like this. And rightly or wrongly depending on how much you care about Jaden Smith and/or nepotism in Hollywood, the studio positioned the movie as a broad family film, building on Jaden’s stardom from the worldwide hit The Karate Kid and reaching out to young teens and families. Will Smith’s residual mega-wattage was still strong enough to open the summer tentpole comfortably above $20M. But even that and Sony’s marketing prowess couldn’t overcome this Shyamalan meltdown, yet another in his string of box office stinkers which have made audiences and critics alike completely soured on him. (The director lost me forever after the execrable The Happening…) I’m told that Will really wanted M Night to direct – even though this subject matter decidedly wasn’t in Shyamalan’s wheelhouse - and they together developed the script for a “not terribly expensive” movie. But a budget of at least $130M is hardly insignificant. Still, given the fact that Smith has made billions for Sony Pictures, the studio felt it just couldn’t say no to its most successful movie partner. Now Smith and Sony must weather this very public failure. I’m told the studio worked “really hard” to fix this crapfest in post-production and that even an arrogant know-it-all like Shyamalan was aware the pic didn’t work but couldn’t fix it on his own. ”You keep hoping people are going to be as good as their best work,” one insider told me about this all-too-familiar filmdom situation. “Sometimes some collaborations bring forth amazing results. And some are not meant to be.” Without a solid opening in North America and no chance for a strong summer multiple, pic will have to depend on overseas grosses. Sony launched it internationally day and date in 3 locations this weekend, and Korea opened very strong, but the overseas rollout really begins next week and the week after.

Julie, I remember when it seemed like only you and I thought MIB 3 would do well. Same thing with Karate Kid. One of the funniest things about this movie is that I have read very few negative reviews where the reviewer doesn't bash Night for past movies or bash Will for "buying his arrogant, talentless son a movie..."

The vast majority of people who don't seem to care about the outside politics or who didn't care about Night seem to have moderate to positive responses to the movie. I'm even reading reviews where people are saying that audiences clapped at the end of the movie. Life can be funny.

• Admin

Friday box office numbers are in.. After earth dropped to 6th with only 3 million. Lookin like an 8 million weekend, which is almost a 70% drop from last week. With Superman coming out next week it may only make $50 million in the US. With a budget of $130 million plus about $50 million for marketing I think we can officially label this a flop.