JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

CHRIS KELLY OF KRIS KROSS DEAD AT AGE 34

Chris Kelly Dead: Kris Kross Rapper Dies At Age 34

Posted: 05/01/2013 9:56 pm EDT | Updated: 05/01/2013 10:28 pm EDT

Chris Kelly, member of nineties rap duo Kris Kross, is dead, an investigator with the Fulton County Medical Examiner's Office confirmed to the Huffington Post. Kelly was 34.

The Medical Examiner's Office said it could not provide more details about the circumstances of his death at this time.

Unnamed sources told CBS Atlanta that Kelly was found dead at his Atlanta home.

Kelly was pronounced dead at 5p.m. Wednesday, authorities told the Associated Press. His cause of death is yet to be determined.

This is a developing story...

Man, this breaks my heart. Kris Kross was the first concert I ever went to. You can call them a bit of a novelty if you want, but they were my age and they were rockin' the mic with songs I could relate to. Other than coming off a bit harder at times than I felt personally felt necessary, the progression of their music was natural as they matured. I love all three of their albums (and the remix album). One of the greatest thing about Kris Kross is that they are huge fans of Hip-Hop. They care about the culture and the music that went along with him. Chris Kelly had more of a hustle about him, still recording and working with up and coming artists, though it didn't generate much in recent years. I'm STILL looking for the album/mixtape he released independently years ago.

The Kris Kross performance at the So So Def 20th Anniversary was dope and showed that the fellas never lost it over time. I hope he felt satisfied and accomplished towards the end of his life. Thousands of fans were showing him crazy love just weeks ago.

Rest in peace, Chris. You were an inspiration to me growing up and your legacy still means a lot to your fans.

Here's another vague article...

http://globalgrind.com/news/chris-kelly-kriss-kross-found-dead-photo

VH1's article, which actually goes into their music some...

May 1st, 2013 | 10:25 pm

R.I.P. Kris Kross Singer Chris Kelly (1978-2013) by Mark Graham (@unclegrambo)

chris-kelly-kriss-kross.jpg

Terrible news to pass along this evening. Multiple news outlets are reporting that singer Chris “Mac Daddy” Kelly of the ’90s era hip-hop act Kris Kross was found dead at his Atlanta home this evening. The cause of death is not known at this time.

thumbs_chris-kelly-kriss-kross.jpg
thumbs_85339496_10.jpg
thumbs_77699804_10.jpg
thumbs_111169434_10.jpg
thumbs_162655167_10.jpg

Kriss Kross sold over four million copies of their 1992 debut album, Totally Krossed Out, after their song “Jump Jump” exploded into the national consciousness. Chris “Mac Daddy” Kelly and Chris “Daddy Mac” Smith were discovered by the now legendary hip-hop impresario Jermaine Dupri, who produced their debut album (which, we should note, also contained the #1 rap single “Warm It Up”). The group became known for their trademark style of wearing their clothes backwards, but never inside out (because that would’ve been “wiggity, wiggity, wiggity wack.”

The group went on to release two other studio albums, 1993′s Da Bomb and 1996′s Young, Rich & Dangerous, neither of which were able to match the monumental success of their debut. The two stayed out of the limelight for the better part of the last two decades, but Kriss Kross recently reunited for a performance at the So So Def 20th Anniversary Party this February.

We’ll have more on this breaking story as soon as additional information becomes available, but for now, we’d like to offer our condolences to Kelly’s friends and family.

Here's a recent interview they published in the wake of his passing...

The 411 On Kriss Kross' Backwards Fashion (PHOTOS)
Posted 24 min 56 sec ago by Dimas Sanfiorenzo for Global Grind Staff
817-grey.gif

kriss_kross_2.png

This is going to be hard for our audience members who were born in 1993 or later: But, yes, there was a time where people wore their clothes backwards.

And, yes, you have Kriss Kross to blame for this trend. The group, who came to the scene in 1992 with their classic debut album, Totally Krossed Out, were the first rappers to wear their clothes backwards.

But why?

A couple of months ago, Chris Kelly, who was just found dead in his Atlanta home at the age of 34, talked about where the fashion trend came from. In the interview with Yahoo, he said:

Even more astonishing then how the trend was started, Chris Kelly revealed that he in fact still wore his clothing backward:

"It was kind of a collective idea. We was all just sitting around thinking of something to do different. It probably could have been Jermaine that said, “Hey let’s put our pants on backwards.” I was the first one to do it, and I’m still the last one to still be doing it. We went to the mall and got so much attention. We was like, “Ok, this is it.’” And it just went from there."

That’s a brother who was down for the cause.

"How uncomfortable was it to wear your pants backwards?

I don’t know. Everybody always ask me that. But you have to understand I’ve been wearing my pants backwards for 21 years. Really since ‘91 ‘cause we started a year before we even came out with a record. When I wake up that’s how my pants get put on.

Are you saying that you’ve continued to wear you pants backwards all these years?

Yeah. I’ve worn my pants backwards since 1991; never frontwards.

If you go back to 1991, did people tell you you were crazy for wearing your pants backwards?

Yeah. Yeah. And you know people today are like, “Well, I can’t believe you still wear your pants backwards.” Even if I put on a suit, I put my suit pants on backwards. It’s just a way of life for me."

Scroll down below to see more pics of Kriss Kross and the iconic fashion trend they birthed.

kriss_kross_5.jpg

kriss_kross_3.jpg

kriss_kross_4.jpg

kris_kross_roku_duet_kris_6032244.jpg

kriss_kross_1.jpg

© 2011 Global Grind © and ™ GlobalGrind.com. All Rights Reserved.

817-grey.gif

Ahhh, this was the news I was hoping NOT to read...

UPDATE: 12:08AM Thursday May 2, 2013

CBS Atlanta reports that Chris Kelly died of a drug overdose, however the official autopsy will not be done until tomorrow.

A spokeswoman with the Fulton County Police Department said unless the medical examiner finds out something different, it appears Kelly died of a drug overdose.

Here's the statement made by his mother and So So Def...

Chris Kelly’s Mother and So So Def release official statement
12:19 AM EDT
5/2/2013 by Jana Hicks

Kriss-Kross.jpg“It is with deep sadness that we announce that our beloved Chris Kelly has passed away on May 1. To millions of fans worldwide, he was the trendsetting, backwards pants-wearing one-half of Kris Kross who loved making music. But to us, he was just Chris – the kind, generous and fun-loving life of the party. Though he was only with us a short time, we feel blessed to have been able to share some incredible moments with him. His legacy will live on through his music, and we will forever love him.”

– Donna Kelly Pratte (mother) & The So So Def Family

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prayers to his family, friends, and fellow fans. Groups like KK have a great impact on to those who grew up on them. It may have been be over 15 years since they had a hit, but many people hold KK close to heart in regards to their teenage years and childhood.

I urge all fans to read this article: http://globalgrind.com/entertainment/let-chris-kellys-death-be-our-reason-stop-celebrity-bullying-exclusive-blog

I tried to cut and paste it, but my computer is acting up. It has a blogger going on about how Chris wasn't treated fairly in recent years. It talks about how his disease affected his hair (one of my friends has the same disease) and also talks about how he got clowned for wearing his pants backward for the So So Def 20th Anniversary. It ends with the blogger saying how he never knew how much he was appreciated. Truer words were never blogged.

Chris Smith speaks... http://www.eonline.com/news/414005/chris-kelly-death-kris-kross-chris-smith-mourns-his-best-friend-and-brother?cmpid=rss-000000-rssfeed-365-topstories&utm_source=eonline&utm_medium=rssfeeds&utm_campaign=rss_topstories

Chris Kelly Death: Kris Kross' Chris Smith Mourns His "Best Friend" and "Brother"

by Josh Grossberg Today 8:22 AM PDT

reg_1024.KrisKross.mh.011613.jpgChris Mitchell/135th Street Agency; Globe Photos/ZUMAPRESS.com

"Daddy Mac" is remembering the "Mac Daddy."

Chris Smith, the surviving half of '90s rap duo Kris Kross, is grieving over the loss of his bandmate, Chris Kelly, who died Wednesday of a suspected drug overdose.

"Chris Kelly was my Best Friend," said the rapper in a statement. "He was like a brother. I love him and will miss him dearly."

"Our friendship began as little boys in first grade. We grew up together. It was a blessing to achieve the success, travel the world and entertain Kris Kross fans all around the world with my best friend," he continued. "It is what we wanted to do and what brought us happiness. I will always cherish the memories of the C-Connection."

Kelly was found unresponsive at his Atlanta residence yesterday afternoon and was taken to a nearby hospital where he was pronounced dead. An autopsy is scheduled to be performed today.

Atlanta police told E! News they're investigating his death as a possible drug overdose after reports that the hip-hopster may have taken cocaine and heroin.

Smith concluded his statement by paying tribute to their 20-year partnership, writing,

"KRIS KROSS FOREVER, the 'MAC DADDY' and 'DADDY MAC.'"

No doubt Kris Kross fans feel his pain.

Here's the details of last night. You can even hear a short phone call that a radio station gave him a few hours prior to his passing. (from http://www.tmz.com/2013/05/02/chris-kelly-death-police-report-cocaine-and-heroin-suspected/?ncid=webmail16)

'Kris Kross' Death
Cocaine & Heroin Suspected
Exclusive
0501-chris-kelly-getty-3.jpg
UPDATE

11:22 AM PT -- A rep for the Fulton County Medical Examiner tells TMZ, the autopsy has been completed and there were no signs of trauma or foul play. The cause of death will be determined by the complete toxicology report in 3-4 weeks.

gray-bar-update-1.jpg
"Kris Kross" rapper Chris Kelly had been using a combination of cocaine and heroin the night before his death, this according to the police report obtained by TMZ.

According to the report, paramedics initially responded to Kelly's Atlanta home around 3 PM EST -- after his mother called 911 asking for medical assistance.

When help arrived, paramedics found 34-year-old Kelly lying on the living room couch -- unresponsive and with "no life signs." The medics attempted to revive Kelly, to no avail.

Kelly was immediately transported to a nearby hospital, where he was pronounced dead a few hours later.

After the death, cops spoke with Donna Kelly Pratte -- Chris' mother -- who told police ... the night before Kelly's medical emergency, he had taken a mixture of heroin and cocaine -- commonly known as "speedballs."

Donna told police she had personally taken Kelly home to recover from the drug use ... just as she had done several times before. Donna told cops Kelly had felt nauseous all morning before passing out.

According to the report, Kelly's mother and Kelly's uncle both told investigators the rapper had an "extensive history of drug use."

Hours before Kelly passed out, he had a phone interview with The Streetz Morning Grind radio show in ATL ... and sounded like he was in bad shape.

In fact, Kelly made reference to his hard-partying ways, which seemed to upset the DJ, who was personal friends with the rapper.

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2013/05/02/chris-kelly-death-police-report-cocaine-and-heroin-suspected/#ixzz2SCoVTYvg

Could The Kris Kross Reunion Concert Be To Blame For Chris Kelly's Drug Use? (PHOTOS)

Posted May 3, 2013 by Christina Coleman for Global Grind Staff
817-grey.gif

chriskellygg.jpg

After his mother and friends confirmed rapper Chris Kelly's drug use, it is now being reported that Kris Kross' recent comeback may have contributed to his death as well.

According to TMZ:

Kris Kross
' recent comeback ... and the money that came with it ... put
Mac Daddy
on a drug-fueled road to self-destruction, sources close to the deceased rapper tell TMZ.

Sources tell us, Mac Daddy -- real name
Chris Kelly
-- has been on and off drugs (including cocaine and heroin) for the last ten years, but had recently cleaned up his act.

We're told that changed dramatically in recent weeks, following Kris Kross' big comeback concert in Atlanta back in February.

According to sources, Kelly's ego blew up ... along with his wallet ... and he started hanging out in clubs again, chumming up with big name Atlanta rappers. We're told the drugs came back in full force as a result.

His mother also told police that the rapper had been taking speedballs (coke and heroin), the night before he died.

An autopsy will determine the cause of death.

Rest in peace Mac Daddy!