JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

BLAQUE'S NATINA REED KILLED

JumpinJack AJ

Confirmed: Natina Reed (From Group Blaque) Killed

natina-reed-blaque.jpg
In news that can only be deemed the most tragic of tragic, various sources are confirming that singer Natina Reed from R&B group Blaque (center) was killed in Atlanta late last night (October 26th).

Details remain sketchy at present, however a number of notable Atlanta figures state that Reed died after being hit by a car as she crossed the street. The car in question is said to have then sped off.

Reid, who is survived by 10 year old son Tren Brown (whose father is rapper Kurupt), was just 32.

The tragedy will see many look to the untimely passing of TLC’s Lisa ‘Left Eye’ Lopes – who many will remember championed Blaque upon their debut in the late 90′s. Lopes died, aged 30, in a car accident in 2002.

Tomorrow would have been Reid’s 33rd birthday.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to Natina’s family and friends.

SOURCE: http://thatgrapejuic...-blaque-killed/

***************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
This was depressing news for me to wake up to. I followed Blaque since before they came out. Left Eye would talk about them in all of her interviews, going all the way back to 1997 (2 years before they came out). It was obvious that Left Eye was heavily involved in their career since their style and music formula was petty similar to TLC's.

I always admired their harmonies and the fact that they were one of the groups that could genuinely blend Hip-Hop and R-N-B music. Shamari's and Brandi's vocals always blended nicely (along with Natina's...she could sing) and Natina just brought fire every time she rhymed. Like Left Eye in TLC, Natina's abilities to write and rhyme got a little swallowed up in the group atmosphere, but you could see she was a great emcee.

Their debut album perfectly captures R-N-B of the very late 90's. The sound of the music, the singing style...it all takes me back to 1999. Having their second album (Blaque Out) and their third album (Tourch) shelved Columbia and Elektra were true injustices. I have copies of both promo and they are both excellent and show some growth between the 2 years that took place between each album. Last year a shorter version of Blaque Out was released as an MP3 album, which was nice to see. However, it had no promotion and I assume was just pushed out for the loyal fans. I didn't know it was released until today when I went to see if there was any music I missed over the years.

808 (Produced by R. Kelly)

808 (Remix) ...this remix (heavily sampling LL Cool J's "Going Back To Cali" got just as many spins as the album version)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHDLFKmPygk

I Do featuring Left Eye

Bring It All To Me

As Is (from the Bring It On soundtrack)

Jessica Simpson featuring Natina Reed "A Little Bit (Urban Remix)" ...I've looking for this promo for over 10 years...I have a copy of it to hold me over...

Can't Get It Back (First single off their shelved 'Blaque Out' album...I have no idea why they shelved it. The song is great, as is the album)

KURUPT featuring NATINA REED "It's Over" - I love this...totally early 2000's Hip-Hop. They were once engaged and their son is now 10 years old.

LEFT EYE featuring Blaque This has always been one of my favs. Left Eye and Natina trading verses on life and Hip-Hop

I'm Good -Blaque's last great moment and last hit (unless they can make a come back as a duo)

Ugly featuring Missy Misdemeanor Elliot -I was never into this track but it was released as a promo single before Torch was shelved

No Gangsta - Third promo single for Torch

Saturday, October 27th 2012

Blaque Release Statement On Death Of Natina Reed / More Details Of Incident Emerge

Blaque.jpg
As the Urban music community continues to mourn the tragic death of singer Natina Reed, the surviving members of the late star’s group Blaque have released a statement.
The words of Brandi Williams and Shamari Fears-DeVoe come on the heels of further details surrounding the circumstances of Reed’s untimely passing.
Full story below…

Via US Weekly:
“We are devastated by the loss of our group member, sister and friend Natina Reed. Because of the enormous support of Blaque fans and our love for each another, Blaque officially reunited this fall and we were in the process of working on a new album and a reality show. Natina continuously embodied the pioneering spirit of Blaque and her undeniable creativity touched the hearts of fans everywhere. Natina was a mother, sister, accomplished songwriter, artist and friend. We ask for your prayers at this time for Natina’s family. She will forever be missed and her global influence eternally felt. We thank God for the experiences we shared.”
The whole episode is so incredibly sad.
While initially reported as a “hit and run”, authorities close to the investigation have confirmed otherwise.
A press release sent to E! read:
“The driver of the vehicle contacted 911 to request assistance. Natina Reed was pronounced dead at Gwinnett Medical Center at 10:59 p.m. E.S.T.
Preliminary information indicates that Reed was in the roadway on Lawrenceville Highway near Hamilton Road when struck. The driver involved was determined to be not at fault and there are no charges pending.”

Brandi would later tweet:

image_normal.jpg

Last night the world was changed forever, life will never be the same....she was my sister.

Shamari added:

1ada6c26fe48965b6fd9c5feb68ce530_normal.

My heart and my soul is in so much pain. My sister, my best friend, I will always love you.

1ada6c26fe48965b6fd9c5feb68ce530_normal.

My world as I know it has forever changed. Until we meet again, may you find comfort in the arms of an angel. I love you Natina.

My world as I know it has forever changed. Until we meet again, may you find comfort in the arms of an angel. I love you Natina.

— Shamari DeVoe (@ShamariDeVoe) October 27, 2012 " rel="external nofollow">

Although a spec of comfort can be sourced from fact that it wasn’t a callous hit and run, the end result isn’t any less painful. For, the reality of the matter is that a woman has died prematurely at the age of 32, and her 10 year old son is now without a mother.

Again, our sincerest thoughts and prayers go out to Natina’s family and friends.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an article from Global Grind with comments from Kurupt and her son. It briefly mentions how Blaque and TLC were at her funeral this past weekend.
http://globalgrind.com/entertainment/natina-reed-funeral-kurupt-son-photos

Here's another article saying how she was living in a motel at the time that she passed. I have no idea why this is relevant news....I guess just for the curious people. Haters were saying she was broke, but at $45 a night, she couldn't have been that broke. Other insiders said that she was getting her new house together and assume that's why she was at a hotel. Her mother also says the police aren't really providing her family with information about the accident. Police are quoted saying there's nothing really in the area that she was in at the time, but people from ATL are saying there's a Walmart and multiple gas stations. Before ANY news came out, it was said that she was walking to a gas station to pick up a few things.
http://globalgrind.com/entertainment/natina-reed-dead-motel-home-death-photos

Lastly,...
Police Seeking Help In Investigation Of Natina Reed's Death (PHOTOS)

Posted October 29, 2012 by The Decider for Global Grind Staff817-grey.gif

Previous Photo1 / 5Next Photo
2223725_0.jpg

The femcee of the girl group Blaque always let her presence be known. || Photo Credit: Getty

• 2223725_0.jpg
  • 3748_clovers8_0.jpg
  • blaque.jpg
  • 1512604.jpg
  • natina-reed-blaque.jpg

Gwinnett County Atlanta Police are still trying to piece together why R&B singer Natina Reed of the female group Blaque, was struck and killed late Friday while standing in a roadway just north of Lilburn.

As reported by the Atlanta Journal Constitution:

Gwinnett County police would like to speak to “anyone who might have information about anything that could help us determine why she was there, anything to help us understand how this came together,” said police spokesman Sgt. Rich Long.

“As of right now, it does not appear that the driver has any fault in this event,” said Long, who added that it was the driver who contacted police about the accident. The driver, who was not immediately identified, was not expected to be charged, the spokesman said.

Long said investigators were still trying to determine why Reed was in the roadway and whether she was crossing or walking alongside it. The spokesman said CPR was performed at the scene and Reed was taken to Gwinnett Medical Center, where she was pronounced dead at 10:59 p.m.

Long said other than the driver and a passenger in the car, there did not appear to be any additional witnesses. The spokesman said more information would be released as facts become available.

Reed died two days before her 33rd birthday. Reed had a 10-year-old son and was once engaged to rapper Kurupt.

Read more: