JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

SNOOP LIONY LION - REGGAE ALBUM

Believe it or now, I got this from Yahoo! News...

Snoop Dogg becomes Snoop Lion, readies reggae CD
image001-png_162613.pngBy MESFIN FEKADU | Associated Press – 20 hours ago

RELATED CONTENT

• 28bcf9a67046f115160f6a706700c11a.jpgView Photo
    This Monday, July 30, 2012 photo shows Snoop Dogg, who now goes by Snoop Lion, posing …
  • 8b56d2fc7046f115160f6a7067000bd9.jpgView Photo
    This Monday, July 30, 2012 photo shows Snoop Dogg, who now goes by Snoop Lion, posing …

NEW YORK (AP) — Snoop Dogg says he was "born again" during a visit to Jamaica in January, is changing his name to Snoop Lion and is ready to make music that his "kids and grandparents can listen to."
The artist known for gangster rap is releasing a reggae album called "Reincarnated" in the fall.
The West Coast rapper held a news conference in New York on Monday. Later he played five songs for a small crowd, including one called "No Guns Allowed." It features his daughter.
The album will be followed with a documentary of the same name. It features him making music and will include some personal elements of his life, a producer of the film said. It will debut at the Toronto International Film Festival in September.

Hmm. I would've thought it was a mixtape of Snoop Dogg vocals to reggae style beats. Somebody should do that anyway to promote this new venture. Maybe he's doing it just to have exclusive access to the glorious ganja that exists in Jamaica?

I can't get used to saying Snoop Liony Lion.

I'd like to think Snoop Lion is the alter-ego name for the project...NOT a serious name change. I say this because it's probably one of the stupidest rap names ever...LOL. Besides, would this name stick?? I'm guessing :sno:. I'm interested in the reggae project but I'm gonna want a regular Hip-Hop from him in the future. I like the idea that he's going to take a lyrical shift for the "kids and grandparents."

When he says he's doing a reggae album, I assume he means the sound and the vibe of the album and that he'll be rhyming over a new sound. If he actually tried to singer like a reggae singer, no one would take it seriously. Heavy D always threw a reggae joint on his album so he's reggae album was a completely organic (and amazing) transition. Snoop's is going to take work.

• 2 months later...

Anyone seen the video for the Snoop Lion project. I must say it's a bit of a hot mess. Clearly the vision for the video was done under the influence of weed. It's like a low-budget 80's drug trip. My hopes were that this would be Snoop rhyming over legit reggae and dancehall beats with a change in his subject matter. That's not the case, he's trying to sing sing reggae, and it's not working out so good for him.

Let's just say it's safe to say that Heavy D's "Vibez" will be the one an only legit reggae/dancehall album to come from a Hip-Hop artist.