JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Skillz announces his retirement as a solo artist

Da Brakes

I been in a different place as far as music is concerned. A good place but still a different place. An article came out a couple weeks ago about another decision that I had made and in that article it was written that I was done making music as Skillz. I got alotta of emails, calls, texts about it!! I didnt think that many people cared!! Talked to a few of my close friends as well and they all said the same thing "How you just gon up and leave and not tell anyone dude"?!? I honestly felt like "Yeah I didnt but does that really matter?" When you decide to leave a sport you make an announcement!! Not rap!! I always looked at those situations as a lil awkward and played out. But to the people who are truly fans I could see how that could be a lil unfair to them. My last studio album "The World Needs More Skillz" dropped in 2010. I was very proud of that album, sonically? That couldve been my last and I wouldve been cool with it. I had already been toying around the idea of being done with the Rap Ups this year anyway. Its the 10th anniversary of it so I was gonna close it out. Maybe let Tina (Fey) do em from now on!! Lol! I have written or co written about 60 songs in the last two months and only 8 of em have been for me. The rest are for other artists. I get a different feeling when I'm creating for other people and that feeling is amazin so lately Ive been focusing on just songwriting. I mean I've always done it but my Skillz brand was always there as well. Me and Bink Dog have a project that will see the light of day Im just not sure when we'll drop it so stay tuned for that. But Im sayin all that to say this, I am hanging up the mic as a solo artist. My next album will be my last and it will drop this year. For the people who checked for me and I inspired thru all these years? I appreciate yall so much. I never thought that my love for music would take me as far as I have come in this world. I couldnt have done that without your support I cant thank you enough. But the next dance is the last one.

Skillz

Not sure I feel about this. I like and respect Mad Skillz, though I only ever got his 1st album. I wanted his other albums but with money being tight and other releases that were biggin my eyes, I just haven't gotten around to getting the others. Does this mean he won't tour with Jazzy anymore?

• 3 weeks later...

It's a shame that Skillz never got a chance to blow up big as he should've but since he does have that talent he'll always be around as a songwriter, there's so many out there that need schooling on how to write a good song