JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Kool Moe Dee on Will Smith!

DefCEM

[quote=mfuqua23,Sep 25 2004, 07:55 PM]Speakin of albums Brakes, how's yours going?[/quote]
I've been SO busy at the moment with University work and being president of my uni American Football team! I just havent had a chance to do anything music related! It annoys me coz I so badly wanna finish everything up! :bang:

I'd say the ability to rap is moreso than anything. But I'd take a freestyle artist over anyone else. I like being able to sit around with a group of friends and people just rappin' havin a good time. Besides.. you can always get someone else to create the records for you as long as you can still rap.

Freestyling is a dope talent 2 have, but real music is alot more important 2 me. Freestyles are only dope 4 so long. When it comes 2 creating songs, there's lots of thought, art, creativity, and time put in 2 it. By creating a song, u are saying "this is what i have 2 offer." Freestyles usually never have a strong focus on the subject matter and since they are off the top of that head, nothing that impressive is being said. Writing songs has so much more soul and poetry in it. Of course many popular rappers don't even think about the actistic side of writing anymore, but true skoolers havn't 4gotten about that. As an emcee, i feel freestyling is only an accessory talent, while making good music and writing good songs is the main focus.

Besides, if u can't write a decent song...chances are u can't freestyle worth crap. There's alot of other things that come 1st b4 freestyle skills. If your voice is annoying, people don't wanna hear u. That's why some people don't like Eminem or Nelly...their voices are simply annoying. From there, u wanna hear a good flow. Lots of rappers just rap, but real emcees will at least occasionally pay attention 2 they rhythmic flow in their raps. I'm not a big Biggie fan, but he spent alot of time making this rhythmic flow pretty flawless. Also, the way an emcee feels comfortable on a track is important. Listen 2 any FP, Rakim, LL joint. They are totally at home on any kinda beat or any. Some rappers just don't feel like the song is theirs....they seem out of place on the track and it comes across in their rhyme. FP himself said whenever u are lacking confidence, u will come across as weak. Freestyling definitly takes a back seat in my book when it comes 2 rhyming.