JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

De La Soul's Plug 1 and Plug 2 present First Serve

Big Ben

I know last time I brought up some material for this project it didn't get any love but I listened to it in its entirety and I had to bring it up again. This is what I call an actual PROJECT. This whole CD is a story. It follows the highs and lows of two friends who try to make it in the rap game. It's a straight up concept album which is very rare. I thought it was fantastic.

One last touch on the subject. The way De La works together, the same way Run DMC and Jurassic 5 worked together. It's the back and forth word play that they perform with. The way it seems like they're in the same booth together recording the song. It's something "Super Groups" Like Slaughterhouse lack.

I'm really enjoying this album as well. I LOVE the concept of the album, and the story it tells is great. Usually with less main stream acts I enjoy the lyrics but the beats are weak. But I think this album is musically solid too.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Admin

I got the CD in the car! Still loving it. I think it's better than the last De La album.. Its actually one of the few concept albums where I actually love the skits and interludes and don't mind listening to them repeatedly

I still wish they went back and finished the AOI series. Originally they were going to release a three disc album but were talked into releasing them separately. The first one was great, the 2nd one was better...then they abandoned it. I remember around the first one dropped, we were skeptical about JJ+FP being on the 3rd installment for some reason.