JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Whitney Houston dies

rawad_m

WHITNEY Houston, who reigned as pop music's queen until her majestic voice and regal image were ravaged by drug use, has died.
She was 48.
Publicist Kristen Foster said Saturday that the singer had died, but the cause and the location of her death were unclear.
At her peak in the 1980s and '90s, Houston the golden girl of the music industry and one of the world's best-selling artists.
Among her hits were ``How Will I Know,'' ``Saving All My Love for You'' and ``I Will Always Love You.'' She won multiple Grammys including album and record of the year.
Her success carried her beyond music to movies like ``The Bodyguard.''
But by the end of her career, drug use took its toll as her record sales plummeted and her voice became raspy and hoarse.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/more-news/whitney-houston-superstar-of-records-films-dies-age-48/story-fn7x8me2-1226268869683

Man I'm Speechless at this one, Rip

She died on my friend's birthday yesterday, sad to see how drugs ruined another great talent, may she rest in peace!

i was reading in an article that she didn't die drug related but people like me and most of us refer to how drugs really brought down her career, her voice on the recent music wasn't that same voice we all knew and loved, she was such a great talent, not many could hold a note like she did in her prime, i thought some of her songs were kinda boring though, not the greatest song maker in my opinion but "I'll Always Love You" was always a standout

I gotta say that I get really annoyed that people bring up her drug addition. We know it was a part of her life. She discussed it, owned up to it, and moved on. Maybe she back slid and maybe she didn't. Why does anyone feel it necessary to bring it up when she touched millions of people with her talent and music? Why focus on the negative? Celebrate life. Celebrate the greatest voice of all time. Stop being an idiot. Nuff said.

-I admit that I'm not really that big of a Whitney Houston so in all fairness I'm not passionately going to defend her the same way as when Michael Jackson and James Brown when everyone was digging through their pasts after they died, but I do have a memory of how her music inspired my life in a way that I'll never forget since it came at one of the darkest moments of my life...I remember when I got sick from a staph infection back in Feb. of 2007 and I had complications from a medication i was taking that nearly killed me and I ended up going to a rehab center since I was having nervous breakdowns from that experience, some of y'all who were on this board back during that time probably mentioning me discussing that in the "Prayer and Support Circle", coming to this board during that time was theraputic for me as well and it is now once again with my father having health issues at the moment....But anyway back to the link with Whitney Houston, there was a music activity I did with other people that were in the rehab center and we all sung "I'll Always Love You" and they told me that I have a great singing voice and that I should get a singing coach, that memory was very helpful for me to hold onto and recover what I was going through then and go through life now, so god bless Whitney Houston for that memory I have....

On that note, here's a short and special poem I just wrote to reflect on that time:

Dear Ms. Houston I know I ain't really your biggest fan
And I don't own many of your records
But there's something that I'll never forget
Back to the time in March of 2007
I was in a rehab center feeling sick
I know if it wasn't for god, right now I'd be dead
The world wouldn't no longer hear Big Ted
We were doing an activity and your record was playing
All singing along to your song
I was told that I should get a singing coach
"I'll Always Love You" gave me hope
That's the power of music
A major influence
Right now your fans are feeling it
So I pray over them
While your resting in peace in heaven
Your song gave me something I'll never forget
And to all my family and friends
"I'll Always Love You" until the end

Whitney Houston Sells A Million Records Since Her Death

Posted February 16, 2012 by Dimas Sanfiorenzo for Global Grind Staff

whitneyhouston-waving_0.jpeg
As expected, the death of Whitney Houston has seen a huge surge in the late singer's sales.
Since the legendary diva died on Saturday, her singles and albums have accumulated over 1 million albums and singles sold.
EXCLUSIVE: Whitney To GlobalGrind: "The Ups, The Downs, The All-Arounds..."
Last week Whitney's Whitney: The Greatest Hits re-entered the Billboard 200 at number six, selling 64,000 copies. That number is a 10,419 percent gain over the pervious week, when the album moved under 1,000 copies. The sales numbers of 64,000 only represents one days worth of sales because the week ended on Sunday, February 12, one day after Whitney died.
EXCLUSIVE: Hey, Sony! Do More Than Apologize, Give Whitney Fans Their Money Back!
Other big selling albums since the singer died include her 1986 self-titled debut album, The Bodyguard soundtrack and Whitney's last studio album, I Look to You. The total amount equaled to over 100,000 in sales for the week.
Then there were the singles.
There were 887,000 digital copies of Whitney's singles sold throughout the week. Her biggest selling single was "I Will Always Love You," which moved 195,000 units.
It was just an all-around phenomenal amount of sales as fans remember the late, great legend.
SOURCE: MTV

Read more: http://globalgrind.com/node/826415#ixzz1meNkcsIK

• 2 weeks later...