JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Does Will freestyle, like off the top of the dome?

Ataraxia

• Members

Just curious. I've heard him freestyling verses from existing songs over the top of random instrumentals, but does anyone actually have any audio/footage of him spitting spontaneous bars?

I recall one interview with him on the set of Bad Boys, where the reporter asked him to do a freestyle about the film, and he rejected.

I definitely wouldn't hate on him if he was incapable, but I'd like to know if anyone has a definite answer on subject?

Also, I heard a rumour some years ago that he won Big Daddy Kane in the late stages of a battle before becoming a star with Jeff. Can anyone confirm this?

Cheers.

Edited by Ataraxia

All the way through Code Red, FP was a true freestyler. His sharpest era probably ended a bit after after The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air established itself. Ever since BWS, I'm not sure how spontaneous his rhymes are. It's true that most of his freestyling now leaves him spitting previously written lines or at least partially pre-written verses. With a busy family to maintain and blockbuster films, I don't know that he has the time to devote to that part of his craft.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Check this one. At 56 seconds in, Prince starts to do some Freestyle Raps for the callers who call in. Looks to be around 93 or 94 around Code Red time

Theres some little start lines from Boom Shake the Room, but it seems for the most he is going off top of the dome Edited by biggame1190

I can't believe someone put that Dutch radio bit on YouTube! It's off a 3 inch bonus CD that came with an import version of the Boom! Shake The Room CD single! I was just listening to that about 2 weeks ago.

• Members

Check this one. At 56 seconds in, Prince starts to do some Freestyle Raps for the callers who call in. Looks to be around 93 or 94 around Code Red time

Theres some little start lines from Boom Shake the Room, but it seems for the most he is going off top of the dome

WOW!

• Members

Here is another short little Freestyle Will did, just a couple lines. But cool none the less for Big Willy Fans....Start at 14:04 minutes in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-lVGlUqUhk&feature=related

Some fascinating answers from Will. Thanks for sharing.

But, jeez, that laughing woman in the crowd is annoying...

• 1 year later...
  • Members

On my face book i asked if I'm the only one who remembers when Will Damn near kicked in da door of the radio station on some freestyle battle vs. Steady B. My mans answered like "yeah I remember. And ere body seems to forget when he tore big daddy kane a new one". So yeah it's true. i just wish somebody had those tapes. I missed the Kane battle, but He made Stead look foolish.

i'd like to see a JJFP Big Daddy Kane collaboration happen