JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

BOYZ II MEN - TWENTY

JumpinJack AJ

I think most R-N-B fans recognize BIIM as one of the best to ever do it. They are the reason R-N-B was so big in the 90's and even today. After a decade of cover albums and unknown import original albums, they are FINALLY BACK.

I've been listening to the album EVERY DAY since it dropped last week. To sum things up, its classic R-N-B with a timeless sound. There's not stupid guest rappers or radio-influenced tracks. Most of the production is handled by Babyface, Jimmy Jam + Terry Lewis, Teddy Riley, and Tim + Bob. The bonus disc is interesting, It features re-recorded hits from their time on Motown. It's kinda weird because they aren't remixed (other than maybe Motownphilly). They are either re-produced and sound nearly exactly the same or, like On Bended Knee, it might be the actual original instrumental (which is weird without Mike spoken part). I feel that if they were going to re-record some of their classics, they should have remixed them, flipped them, sped them up, or slowed them down.

Overall, the harmonies are rich and the melodies are sweet. Most of the album is about love but there's definitely variety on it. To me knowledge, the only place you can get the physical CD is at Wal-Mart. I know there are a lot of BIIM fans on this board and I encourage you all to pick up this album. I think its important that this album do well so we get more albums of original material from them and so that the industry knows we don't just want to hear watered down dance/pop R-N-B.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kReseaNaF8I

i'm gonna order the cd from amazon.com this week, there's still some real r&b out there, wbls plays a lot of great music that's out now, we got some great albums from legends like Charlie Wilson, R.Kelly, Joe, Kem, Johnny Gill, Jill Scott, Marsha Ambrosious, Kelly Price, and Kelly Rowland, plus Keith Sweat drops his album next week, Tyrese came out this week, r & b still going strong in 2011 going in 2012 even though they ain't selling millions like they should be, it's just people gotta stop buying this autotune crap from T-Pain and support the real singers I just mentioned

I agree on pretty much all those artists you listed. There were 2 or 3 weaker songs on Johnny Gill's album but it's overall a great album. I was disappointed in Kelly Rowland's album tho.' I just don't like the direction she's going. Her sound isn't as solid and her style isn't as classy. She was releasing the best music out of DC but this album was a step backwards.

kelly rowland's probably the worst out the bunch i mentioned 'cause it's watered down pop compared to the others

now back to boyz ii men i remember back in the '90s, i could sing every song from their 1st 3 albums "CooleyHighHarmony", "II", and "Evolution" by heart to day since i played them so much, they molded this boy to a man, lol....

Yeah, I just keep going back to this album. It's R-N-B music done right. Their first three albums (especially Cooleyhighharmony and II) were staple albums for my as well. I was recently listening to them after being away from them for awhile and it's amazing how I know pretty much all of the words still. I would love to see this album blow up crazy and change R-N-B for the better.

• Admin

Yeah, I just keep going back to this album. It's R-N-B music done right. Their first three albums (especially Cooleyhighharmony and II) were staple albums for my as well. I was recently listening to them after being away from them for awhile and it's amazing how I know pretty much all of the words still. I would love to see this album blow up crazy and change R-N-B for the better.

all these new artists, chris brown, rihanna, ne-yo.. need to listen to this album and see how its done! no autotune..just real good voices, singing and harmonies! music done right! soulful!

i actually listen to more contemporary r&b than contemporary hip hop these days 'cause WBLS plays better songs than Hot 97 does, most of the hip hop i like is old school and

...underground

• 2 months later...