JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Watch the throne still # 1 album!

VIsqo

http://rap.about.com/b/2011/08/25/chart-report-watch-the-throne-still-no-1.htm

Jay-Z and Kanye West are sitting comfortably atop the Billboard 200 chart for the second week in a row. Watch the Throne moved 176,000 last week to retain the top spot. I'll spare you the predictable "throne/reign" puns. Ha!
Some specifics: Watch the Throne has now sold 612,000 units since its release two weeks ago. Gold-certified in two weeks? Not too shabby.
Pop the hood for a round-up of this week's top-selling hip-hop titles.
Top 10 Hip-Hop Albums of the Week
1. Jay-Z & Kanye West - Watch the Throne - 176,000 (612,000)
2. Bad Meets Evil - Hell: The Sequel - 19,480 (463,012)
3. Ace Hood - Blood, Sweat & Tears - 10,214 (36, 543)
4. Nicki Minaj - Pink Friday - 9,930 (1.5 million)
5. Pitbull - Planet Pit - 8,905 (174,150)
6. Eminem - Recovery - 8,825 (4 million)
7. Big Sean - Finally Famous - 8,145 (189,740)
8. Wiz Khalifa - Rolling Papers - 7,269 (549,258)
9. Gucci Mane & Waka Flocka Flame - 1017 Brick Squad Presents...(23,676)
10. LMFAO - Sorry for Party Rocking - 6,877 (92,722)

Did yall see who they are competing with? lol

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

Game was on track to sell 100,000 first week..I can't believe how much album sales have dropped! Wow 6,00o gets you in the top 10? In 1997 6,000 would have been about 200 on the charts..10 would be selling 70-80,000 albums were selling 400,000 a week..we had albums like big willie style selling 10 million..downloading really killed the music industry..

Game was on track to sell 100,000 first week..I can't believe how much album sales have dropped! Wow 6,00o gets you in the top 10? In 1997 6,000 would have been about 200 on the charts..10 would be selling 70-80,000 albums were selling 400,000 a week..we had albums like big willie style selling 10 million..downloading really killed the music industry..

Downloading has definitely taken a toll, but at the same time I think it's partly on the artistry as well. There's not a lot of artist that are making magic, or making something that as a whole piece is lacking. Everyone is trying to make music that sounds like something else, which makes albums just a collection of singles. Looking at my shelf while i'm typing this, Big Willie Style, 3 feet high and rising, and Mecca and the soul brother, all are great albums. These all have the same thing in common, they flow really well, everything seems to belong and fit as a whole piece. But then I look at other albums, I rep the West, and in some regard Lost and found, they both have great songs on them but you can tell production was done by a bunch of producers and as a result the album doesn't feel like a whole piece.

Just my two cents.

• Admin

Downloading has definitely taken a toll, but at the same time I think it's partly on the artistry as well. There's not a lot of artist that are making magic, or making something that as a whole piece is lacking. Everyone is trying to make music that sounds like something else, which makes albums just a collection of singles. Looking at my shelf while i'm typing this, Big Willie Style, 3 feet high and rising, and Mecca and the soul brother, all are great albums. These all have the same thing in common, they flow really well, everything seems to belong and fit as a whole piece. But then I look at other albums, I rep the West, and in some regard Lost and found, they both have great songs on them but you can tell production was done by a bunch of producers and as a result the album doesn't feel like a whole piece.

Just my two cents.

Yeah iTunes meant you didn't have to buy an album.. "the album" is kinda dead..why buy an album that has 2 or 3 good tracks on it..you just buy those songs.. I must admit that's what I do myself.. I'll preview all the tracks but only buy what I like..

It's a shame the way the industry has gone regarding record sales... I do agree that with the introduction of downloads this has taken a massive toll. Soon the physical presence of the high street record store will be gone and downloads will be the only place to buy music.

I know here in the UK the only dedicated place to buy music is HMV and even they are struggling due to the recession.

I must admit tho as an independent artist it has been so much easier to get my music heard and also on a larger scale. I now have my albums/songs on the major stores (iTunes, Amazon, Rhapsody etc) which 10 years ago would have been near impossible to do without major backing from record labels

there's still some good albums out there in hip hop but it bothers me that jay-z, kanye, and eminem are the only good rappers that manage to do big numbers these days, back in the days you had fresh prince, ll, dmx, dr. dre, fugees, big pun, jay-z, biggie, 2pac, nas, busta rhymes, soul groups like new edition and tlc all going platinum or better, there was more parody, it was like the nfl, btw game's album is better than all those listed there, he's the best out on the commercial scene but i notice his songs don't get much airplay thease dayas either, bottomline though krs said it best "mcs are hopeless thinking record sales make them the dopest"

• 2 weeks later...

and game's album only sold 135,000 copies after 2 weeks even though it's probably one of the best albums i heard in commercial rap in recent years, it's kinda sad that most people just buy albums over hype rather than actual quality these days...