JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Django Unchained

Mr K

The movie is bad ass and in typical Tarantino style. The casting of the actors was perfect, Christopher Waltz, Leonardo Di Caprio, Jamie Foxx and Samuel L. Jackson. All of them have done a great job.

Will missed the opportunity to be in such a great movie, let's see how After Earth will do this summer.

Quentin Tarantino on violence in movies, post Sandy Hook Elementary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrsJDy8VjZk#t=4m7s

OMG.. what an annoying journalist!

I don't think so at all. I think this is more a reflection on Tarantino than the journalist. The point of the profession is to ask tough questions when possibly and appropriate of those who are being interviewed. "I'm not your monkey." "I'm not your slave." That's no way for a director to behave in an interview. It's pretty disgusting behavior to be honest.

Quentin Tarantino on violence in movies, post Sandy Hook Elementary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrsJDy8VjZk#t=4m7s

OMG.. what an annoying journalist!

I don't think so at all. I think this is more a reflection on Tarantino than the journalist. The point of the profession is to ask tough questions when possibly and appropriate of those who are being interviewed. "I'm not your monkey." "I'm not your slave." That's no way for a director to behave in an interview. It's pretty disgusting behavior to be honest.

But after Quentin refused to answer his question, the journalist kept insisting, and that becomes annoying for anyone. This is not an ethical debate, this is a director promoting his movie. And it seemed like if the journalist was criticizing Tarantino for making/liking violent movies.
Journalist: Why do you like making violent movies?
Tarantino: Ummm.. I don't know. It's like asking Judd Apatow: why do you like making comedies?
Word. I don't see why he needs to justify himself. Like he said, it's just a movie, it's fantasy, it's not real life. Period. He enjoys movie violence. That doesn't mean he has to enjoy real violence. And the journalist seems to think there's a link between the two things. In my opinion, it's ridiculous. Plus, is Tarantino the first director to use violence in his movies? Please..
Quentin probably shouldn't have had this hysterical reaction, but it's obvious that the journalist wanted his headline.
Edited by Ale

I just saw this movie and also loved it! For me the standout performance was Leo DiCaprio! He is certainly making all the right choices in his career of late and will most certainly go out as one of the greats... Samuel L Jackson was absolutely hilarious!! The type of movie this is, I can see why Will didn't take it. He was probably reluctant to do another 'cowboy movie', he is very image conscious and the themes of the movie pretty much is pushing the limit for Will and he also wouldn't have the usual 'control' element he is used to with all his movies. I'm glad for Jamie tho as this will do wonders for his career. This was perfectly cast and a really enjoyable movie.

• 2 months later...
Will Smith on turning down 'Django Unchained': 'I needed to be the lead'
When Quentin Tarantino’s western revenge-fantasy Django Unchained was first announced, casting rumors pegged Will Smith as the titular slave-turned-vigilante. But Smith, who teams with his son Jaden in this summer’s sci-fi epic After Earth, tells EW that he turned down the part because his character would’ve been second-fiddle to the bounty hunter (played by Christoph Waltz) who teaches Django his trade . “Django wasn’t the lead, so it was like, I need to be the lead. The other character was the lead!” says the Men in Black star, whose departure opened the door for Jamie Foxx to play the role.
Smith says that before he left the project, he even pleaded with Tarantino to let Django have a more central role in the story. “I was like, ‘No, Quentin, please, I need to kill the bad guy!’” (Ironically, Waltz was considered a supporting actor during his Oscar-winning award season, while Jamie Foxx was promoted as the movie’s lead.)
But no hard feelings: Smith was a big fan of the final product. “I thought it was brilliant,” he says. “Just not for me.”