JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Django Unchained

Mr K

This would actually be the 2nd biggest mistake of Will's acting career if he doesn't take this. The thing is Will is not used to being directed and not having any control over the movie. Every movie since 2004 has either had Will falling out with directors, re-writing scripts or Overbrook Ent being heavily involved in the production. Will would literally have to take a back seat with this one.

Don't get me wrong i would love to see this come to fruition but as stated before Will is too concious about his image and even said in an interview that he only picks roles that don't depict a negative image. I really believe that this is going to be his achilles heal.

These are the films Will needs to do next:

Django Unchained
Hood
Bad Boys 3

Now that would be a comeback to the acting game!!

Saying that some of the other names thrown into the hat for Django seem intersing: Idris Elba, Anthony Mackie,

Edited by Da Brakes

DiCaprio is having an AWESOME career working with directors like James Cameron, Martin Scorsese (4 times!), Steven Spielberg, Ridley Scott, Christopher Nolan... he's just finished filming 'J. Edgar' with Clint Eastwood and now Tarantino. He has become an amazing actor if you want my opinion, and he's only 36.

Totally agree! He has made some VERY smart choices in his career. He has progressed to become an amazing actor who makes stars in fantastic films

I saw this one coming...if this is true, this a bigger mistake than WWW. How can you blow up an life-time opportunity to work with QT + great cast Leo Di Caprio, Christopher Waltz + Samuel L. Jackson? Such a project can bring you to the next level and can be turning point in an actors career... Anyway Di Caprio's development as an actor is incredible, he is one of the best nowadays with Johnny Depp and Christian Bale. If Will does not want to play Django, i hope Idris Elba gets the role...he is mad talented. His performance as Stringer Bell in The Wire was amazing.

Weinsteins date 'Django Unchained'

Quentin Tarantino pic to hit theaters Christmas Day 2012

The Weinstein Co. has set a Christmas Day 2012 release date for Quentin Tarantino's "Django Unchained," pitting the controversial pic against the second frame of Disney's wholesome "Lone Ranger."

"Django" centers on a slave-turned-bounty hunter on a mission to rescue his wife from her sadistic slavemaster.

Leonardo DiCaprio is in final negotiations to play the latter role, while previous Tarantino collaborators Christoph Waltz and Samuel L. Jackson are also expected to close deals shortly.

As for the title role of Django, Will Smith's interest appears to be waning, forcing Tarantino to take meetings with other prominent actors such as Jamie Foxx, Idris Elba and Chris Tucker, who appeared in the helmer's "Jackie Brown."

There are no other films scheduled to open on Tuesday, Dec. 25, 2012, though Fox 2000 and Relativity Media release "Life of Pi" and "Hunter Killer," respectively, on Dec. 21. Of course, Peter Jackson's "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" opens Dec. 14 and will likely still be going strong at the box office come Christmas.

Sony Pictures is co-financing "Django" and handling distribution overseas. Tarantino will soon begin searching for an editor to replace his longtime cutter Sally Menke, who died last September.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118038602

• Members

I saw this one coming...if this is true, this a bigger mistake than WWW. How can you blow up an life-time opportunity to work with QT + great cast Leo Di Caprio, Christopher Waltz + Samuel L. Jackson? Such a project can bring you to the next level and can be turning point in an actors career... Anyway Di Caprio's development as an actor is incredible, he is one of the best nowadays with Johnny Depp and Christian Bale. If Will does not want to play Django, i hope Idris Elba gets the role...he is mad talented. His performance as Stringer Bell in The Wire was amazing.

You know how can somebody blow up this opportunity?The man is just too vain!I know that nobody here wanna say that but that's the truth liked we it or not.He simply MUST be in charge of everything and everybody around him.Yes,this is great director,great cast etc.,but that's the biggest problem because Will always must be the biggest star or he wouldn't do this,and in this project with so many great names it's impossible.I really losing respect for him more and more,but who cares LOL.

P.S.Considering that Jada is the only person he listening,we can only hope hope that she will convince him,but she doesn't have many smart career moves also...

He's too imagine-concerned. He thinks everything he does with movies has to be positive and have good morales that correspond to how he lives his life. But, it's called acting!!! Just because Anthony Hopkins played a serial killer that eats people doesn't mean he is a ill-moral person in real life. This script is very violent with lots of sexuality and deals bluntly with race. It's gonna upset some more conservative minded people, white and black alike. It could be upsetting to people who are Will Smith fans who like safe, feel-good movies like "Hitch" and "Pursuit of Happyness", and as dark a films they like is somthing like "I am Legend". Will needs a project like this, because he has gotten stale and boring to alot of people who are serious about movies. If he follows up the likely disaster that is MIB 3 with some stupid M. Night film with his son or Hancock 2, when he could of done a Tarantino movie, he'll be regarded as a joke!

• Members

Radewart,I couldn't agree more with everything you said:-)!He's in his 40's and if he keep doing such ridiculous thing like MIB3 or BB3,4,5...he will lost half of fans and he wouldn't get any new.I honestly think that he's a little vain,that's only explanation why he's so afraid to do something "not so clean".But from some of his interviews i got a feeling that successful movie and career to him is equal big money.Maybe I'm wrong but right now as an actor he is way behind Tom Hanks,Leo,Johnny,Sean Penn,Denzel etc.

This is a bigger career mistake than Wild Wild West. This movie role could have been a turning point in his career...from movie star to serious actor. I wonder what Will's lame excuse will be to not take this project. Another question will be, what comes after MIB3? Is it the rumoured Wacholwski movie Hood? If that movie flops commercially and critically...the comeback will be even harder. Anyway, this decision is a huge disappointment...i am pretty sure Jaimee will do a great job and hope he gets his next oscar! :-)

• Members

Jin,I supposed that after MIB3 he's going to take a loooooong break again because Willow's album will be released in September-October and after that she's started with Annie and Jaden is going to filmed Karate Kid 2 in July.You know that he's going to be involved in this 100% so I doubt that he's going to do anything any time soon!

Seems Will is out :hissyfit:

Will Smith is out! Inside sources tell me that Tarantino has chosen Oscar winner @iamjamiefoxx to play Django!

Source: http://twitter.com/#!/yogoldsmith/status/83325138002653184

More info here:

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/archives/2011/06/22/jamie_foxx_chosen_for_the_lead_role_in_quentin_tarantinos_django_unchained/ Edited by Ale