JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Django Unchained

Mr K

Come on guys, if he passes on it you dont know the reason why, u cant hate on him for it. It could be timing or they dont think hes right for the part, dont give up on him just bcoz of this project.

Give me some solid reasons why he should pass on this project. I have read the script and i think its brilliant.

- great homage to the spaghetti westerns

- many N and F bombs

- rasicm main subject

- revenge flick

- character development of django from innocent to bad ass

- Christopher Waltz has more lines than Will and my impression was that he is the secret star of the movie (he outshined Brad Pitt on Inglorious Bastards)

- Samuel L. Jackson as an house negro

- the only bad thing i want to say is that broomhilda, the female lead...has not substance at all and has just sex/naked and exploited scenes in the plot, but which is typical for western flicks

This is not the typical July4th or i want to win an oscar Will Smith movie...this could be Will's step as an actor in another league. As the content of the movie is controversial, this movie can be commercially risky ... but thats one more reason that Will should take it. He is the only one who can guarantee box office numbers. Its not that you get everyday the chance to work with one of the best directors like QT, i would be very disappointed if he rejects this one. He got the chance to turn something negative (WWW) to something positive. Lets be real...Will is a good actor, not great. Even Denzel as one of the best, did take controversial roles and delivered his best performances as an actor.

Reading a lot of the comments about the movie indicates that people don't actually want Will for this part. I have seen a lot of love for Idris Elba for this role

Die Hard QT fans, are against Will because they think he is not good enough as an actor and his image is too soft/commercial. But this has been said about Brad Pitt also. They prefer newcomers like C. Waltz than major stars like Brad Pitt or Will Smith. Actually this happens before every Will movie and especially after Ali he proved all critics to be wrong. Nonetheless Idris Elba is really talented and one of the rising and "new" afro-american stars.

Edited by Jin

Will is still shoting MIB3. As far I know Tarantino plans to shot Dijango in the fall this year. I think that's a solid reason for Will to quit this project. Jada is working on Hawthorne right now too. We all know Will is a family guy. He may just want to spend some quality time with the fam. He does have 3 kids at home you know...

Will is still shoting MIB3. As far I know Tarantino plans to shot Dijango in the fall this year. I think that's a solid reason for Will to quit this project. Jada is working on Hawthorne right now too. We all know Will is a family guy. He may just want to spend some quality time with the fam. He does have 3 kids at home you know...

Aww come on, thats a lame excuse...I think QT is also aware of MIB3. Brad Pitt, Denzel Washington, Idris ELba, Johnny Depp etc. are also family guys, lets not act like he is the only one in hollywood with a family. His last movie came out in 2008, so he had 4 years of quality time with his family.

Edited by Jin

Will is way too image-concerned to take this. Also, he can't control and micro-manage Tarantino like other directors.

And that is exactly why Will will not go out as one of the greats... Sometimes you have to just sit back and let other people do their thing..

If you do searches on the forum we have said for YEARS that we would like to see Will play a darker character for once.. :hissyfit:

Will is way too image-concerned to take this. Also, he can't control and micro-manage Tarantino like other directors.

And that is exactly why Will will not go out as one of the greats... Sometimes you have to just sit back and let other people do their thing..

If you do searches on the forum we have said for YEARS that we would like to see Will play a darker character for once.. :hissyfit:

Nice to see other WS fans who feel the same way.

A lot of movie fans aren't high on Will for that specific reason. I'm 100% sure that if Will takes on this role he'll set one of the best performances ever. Opinions about him will change. People will respect him more and he'll get more acclaim. I respect him and his family that's his business he can do whatever he wants. BUT...on the other hand Will hasn't done anything since 2008. He's had enough time with the family. In fact he's gotten so much with his family that it's getting a bit too much... Will is way too talented to waste it just for the sake of picking the projects based on money or popularity or because he has full control on a project. Will wants to do so many things and sometimes it's best to focus on 1 thing...acting (I gave up on the FP...music ain't gonna happen). As a big WS fan...i'm incredibly disappointed in the past 3-4 years. He said he was going to take 3 months off, or 6 max and it's been nearly 4 years. When is he going to make that jump ? When is he going to worry more about maxing his talents than money, having full control etc. He's a bankable star but will it continue to be like this ? He shouldn't think he'll stay that way no matter what. There will be a point where the audience loses interest in him. Will Smith was good in Ali, POH, 6 Degrees...but he doesn't have a GREAT role. I wish he was a bit more like Brad Pitt when it comes to picking scripts. Heck I thought I was one of his biggest fans but even i'm losing a bit of interest in his career. I will see MIB 3 no matter what...MIB, Bad Boys are my guilty pleasures. But I won't watch Seven Pounds...movies he's doing just to get that academy award and having full control on the project and picking his own B level directors.

Will Smith is such a talented actor that he is the best part in his own movies even though the movie isn't. He's a fine leading actor.

He should use that talent to focus on roles that would max his talents and show it to the world what he's capable of. I want Will to take the path Denzel Washington took but take it a step further. People would laugh at this sentence now but if he picked the right scripts people would start to agree. He could still make films like Bad Boys, MIB which are our guilty pleasures...at least that's how I feel...but he could pick movies like these instead of seven pounds...working with A list people instead of B. Imagine how many great scripts Will must be getting and imagine how many he's turned down.

Come on Will...take this role and and set a role for the ages.

This is such a great role for Will...a role people won't forget.

I completely agree! I often watch Denzel films and wonder what Will would be like in those type of roles. It's interesting what you say about Will and his bankability as an actor. I think it may take his popularity to diminish slightly for him to realise "OK.... this isn't working....let me try something different".

I should imagine at the moment he is thinking "If it ain't broke then don't try to fix it" The formula he has at the moment is working for him. He has manage to work his way up to being one of the highest paid actors in Hollywood whilst maintaining his "clean image". It's just a shame that the roles/movies haven't been the types of roles some of us would like to see

Quentin Tarantino finally has his man. After writing the villainous role of Col. Hans Landa in "Inglourious Basterds" with Leonardo DiCaprio in mind, the duo are finally preparing to collaborate on the helmer's next pic, "Django Unchained."

While his reps had no comment, sources tell Variety that DiCaprio is in negotiations to play the villain, Calvin Candie, in the highly-anticipated film, which will be distributed in the U.S. by The Weinstein Co. and by Sony overseas.

Candie operates a Mississippi plantation called Candyland where he pits male slaves against each other in brutal fights to the death when he isn't busy sexually exploiting female slaves.

While Will Smith remains in the mix to play the title character, insiders say that Tarantino is meeting with other actors in case Smith opts to pass on the project, though DiCaprio's casting will certainly help encourage his participation.

Idris Elba is one rising star who Tarantino is looking at, though the Oscar-winning filmmaker is also considering a reunion with Chris Tucker, who played Beaumont Livingston in the helmer's "Jackie Brown."

"Basterds" star Christoph Waltz and "Pulp Fiction" star Samuel L. Jackson are expected to play Django's German mentor and Candie's right-hand slave, respectively. However, in the script, the character Jackson would play grew up with Candie, so if DiCaprio takes the part, Tarantino will have to slightly tweak that role due to the age difference between the actors.

DiCaprio next stars as FBI director J. Edgar Hoover in the Clint Eastwood's "J. Edgar," which Warner Bros. will release Dec. 14.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118038224

I guess he hasn't said no yet...

DiCaprio is having an AWESOME career working with directors like James Cameron, Martin Scorsese (4 times!), Steven Spielberg, Ridley Scott, Christopher Nolan... he's just finished filming 'J. Edgar' with Clint Eastwood and now Tarantino. He has become an amazing actor if you want my opinion, and he's only 36.