JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

UK Rap Scene

KevTastic

Since 2009 a HUGE grow in the commerical popularity of British Hip- Hop (and its off shoots) has occured.

So much so that i'd say its out doing its Amercian counterparts in this country, atleast sales wise.

We have artists like Tinie Tempah, Example, Dizzee Rascal, Tinchy Stryder, Professor Green, Chipmunk etc all having massive hits and albums here. The only American staright up Hip- Hop artists who are having similar success are people like B.O.B and the resurgence of a changed in style Eminem.

The British scene has never been in such good shape. Never before could it ever compete on the commercial level that the huge American artists had.

Is it due to the lack of fresh styles coming out of the US lately that we're picking up the slack or just looking for something new. I know the chances of a Brit rapper making it big across the pond is slim to none (Although i know Tinie Tempah will be trying hard very soon)

For people like Brakes, do you see this as an easier or harder time for you to see some commercial success?

Mystro spends a lot of time in Oz so it wouldn't surprise me that he is known over there....plus he has an insane amount of skill.

I think this is a great time for UK rap and artist crossing over to have mainstream success...however the sound that is being produce is VERY mainstream and dance/club orientated. A lot of artist would have to sacrifice their roots to achieve success. I mean how many of the British grime/hip hop acts could have had the success they are having now if they came out originally with what they are releasing now... I'm not knocking it at all but I'm not sure of the longevity of it all. But I guess that is where you adapt your style to the ever changing market

Mystro spends a lot of time in Oz so it wouldn't surprise me that he is known over there....plus he has an insane amount of skill.

I think this is a great time for UK rap and artist crossing over to have mainstream success...however the sound that is being produce is VERY mainstream and dance/club orientated. A lot of artist would have to sacrifice their roots to achieve success. I mean how many of the British grime/hip hop acts could have had the success they are having now if they came out originally with what they are releasing now... I'm not knocking it at all but I'm not sure of the longevity of it all. But I guess that is where you adapt your style to the ever changing market

Perfectly put, and just what I was thinking. I wouldnt call whats popular 'hip-hop', its more club music with a rapper on it and I don't truly believe that its the rapper on the song thats making it sell. If it was down to people liking pure hip hop, I'd say Twang and Mystro would be just as popular as Tinchy and so on. But they're not, so I think its boiling down to people liking club music more than the actual rhyming skill. There is a lot of talent out there though, Tinies doing big things, and his content is positive on the most part. But I dont think a pure 'hip hop' artist can come through without having to change their style to more grime/club, coz if it was possible, Twang and Diggi would be more popular, in my opinion.