JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

'MICHAEL' REVIEW

JumpinJack AJ

I'm surprised that this album hasn't been talked about since it came out this week. I waited to review it because I was pretty upset the first time I heard it. MJ was the 1st artist I ever called "my favroite artist" since my mom introduced me to his music before I really knew what music was. At the 1st listen I was just appalled that the songs are doctored and tweeked. They aren't nearly as bad as what they have done to 2Pac's music on the most latest releases, but you can tell. It doesn't have the feel that an MJ album typically has and some of the songs are not done in the fashion that MJ would have let them be released in. Since I have only heard 2 of these songs prior to their "Michael" treatment, I think it's safe to say that a few of them are probably 85-95% in their original form and that some of them are considerably altered. I still think the album artwork is over the top. I think it's an amazing piece of art but it doesn't belong on the front of the album. The insert has a few scribbled scan of MJ's notes which is a nice touch. A few of the songs have a short paragraph from the producer of the song. It makes you wonder how many of those producers were originally on board. On the back insert it says "This album contains 9 previously unreleased vocal tracks performed by Michael Jackson. These tracks were recently completed using music from the original vocal tracks and music created by the credited producers." Grrrrr.....

"HOLD MY HAND" - This is the 1st single and the song that was leaked back in 2008. It is one of my favorite MJ songs. I just love it. The insert has Akon talking about how he created the song and brought it to MJ. He liked it so they recorded. He mentions that they were "devastated" by the internet leak because the song wasn't finished. Ultimately it's probably 85% in it's original form but I still love the original version more. This is slightly altered to fit in more with today's sound on the radio.

"HOLLYWOOD TONIGHT" - This Teddy Riley produced joint was obviously done around 1991. You can tell in the song. I have a feeling it's only slightly altered because it sound so much like Dangerous as well as the way he sings. I thought the vocals at the end of the song were MJ's voice being distorted but it's actually Taryll Jackson (of 3T) which makes me think it's possible this song could actually have been done between '93-95. The sound is just too dated tho.' While this song is good, it's very "filler" to me.

"KEEP YOUR HEAD UP" - This is one of the best songs ever written. It's a master piece. This is the THE reason for buying the album alone. MJ's vocals are pure and honest. There are some synths in this song that make me think the song has barely been touched since it's creation. I can see this song making pretty much every MJ mix I ever make for the car. The choir vocals, the positive message....it's just amazing.

"(I LIKE) THE WAY YOU LOVE ME" - This song was on MJ: The Ultimate Collection back in 2004. The thing that is weird to me is that they open the song with a voicemail recording of MJ talking about the song and drums that he vocally beatboxes don't match the song at all...lol. But since he released this song while he was alive, he clearly changed his mind about the drums. But why would they include it if the song never ended up with those drums?!? The song is beautiful and very much like the original version. The changes that were made are totally appropriate tho' I miss some of the pianos from the original version.

"MONSTER" - This one is a beast. I love it. MJ comes with these aggressive verses and then smooths things out with a layered chorus. I'm lovin' this. Orianthi (from This Is It) shows up on this song as well tho' her guitar is pretty buried in the mix. 50 Cent shows up for what is probably his best verse ever. He's actually vocally motivated and stretched himself. Not one of his lyrics is idiot either. When you hear this, you can hear what MJ had in mind along with a mixture of something to make this fit in with today's music scene. It doesn't take away from the song much.

"BEST OF JOY" - One of the album's finest. I never was into "The King of Pop" title because MJ made music from the soul and his music mostly reflected that. Going into the later part of his career, this was going to be obvious (as Invincible started to show). This song represents. It's just a feel-good Spring time love song. The notes in the insert say that MJ would say melodies are ancient, up in Heaven, just waiting to be plucked. I can't think of a better way to describe this song.

"BREAKING NEWS" - I have a feeling this one was done sometime around 1999ish. MJ comes with the same aggression that he often came with in his song that addressed the press and their fabricated stories that hurt his career since the 90's.

"(I CAN'T MAKE IT) ANOTHER DAY" - This one is a little different. Part of me thinks this was originally done some where around the HIStory era (the feel and the vocals) and part of me thinks it's newer than that. Lenny Kravitz wrote the song, sang back-up, and played the guitar for this one. Traces of rock and Hip-Hop. It's a good song but to me, leans a little towards the filler side of his work.

"BEHIND THE MASK" - This is also one of my lesser favorites on the album. I'm guessing this was done 1991/1992ish. The vocals actually take me back as early as 1988. The song can't seem to figure out if it's a dance song or a funk song. I can't feel this song enough to even get into the lyrics yet.

"MUCH TOO SOON" - This song is beautiful and stripped down; the perfect way to end the album.

All in all, I'm happy to hear music I would have never heard otherwise. But at the same time, I'd rather hear it in it's original form. Sure, mix it properly, master it, but don't doctor it. It's a painful reality that shows us that we will never get magical albums from MJ like we did when he was alive...except maybe of the one he recorded in Virginia in 2007. I hope the album does his career justice even tho' it's flawed. The single for "Hold My Hand" comes out in 2 weeks internationally and has an Orchestral version plus and Alternate Version alone with the instrumental. I'm praying that Alternate Version is the original mix that was on YouTube for a couple years. It'd only be right since we have already heard it in it's true form.

I'm interested in what the rest of you MJ fans have to say after hearing the album.

I really like this album, a lot of songs were written about 2007 so it does make me wonder if Michaels plans were to release a new album after This is it. In an ideal world he would have finished it himself but hes not with us to do that so im so glad that they finished it for him. I'd much rather hear them unfinished than not at all.

Monster is one of my favourites and i agree AJ, 50 did a great job (i cant believe i just said that), best of joy is amazing too. He was planning on finishing the song in London during TII so it was the last song he ever worked on. I love keep your head up too, such an unplifting song. And behind the mask sounds so different to what he normally does but it works so well.

I ordered this CD online a couple days ago at CDUniverse.com along with the new R.Kelly and Nelly albums, they haven't arrived yet so that's why I haven't said anything yet... Btw, 50's recent stuff is not that bad anymore either, I think he's improved his game just like Eminem has but neither are my favorites but among the rappers that ain't my favorites I rather listen to them than Lil' Wayne and Soulja Boy....

Julie, most of these songs are not the songs from 2007. You can tell in most of them. Last I read, there were 12 tracks that he did in 2007 in a studio in Virginia. The article I read (and posted here) made it sound like there was a loop hole for those recordings that make them not owned by Epic. Those songs will feel like an album when we hear them and these songs don't fit together as an album. That album is the one that I'm excited to here.

Well this was posted on MJFC/The Official Online Team of the Michael Jackson Estate. Im only going from what was written on there.

1. Hold My Hand (Duet with Akon)
Written by Aliaune Thiam, Giorgio Tuinfort, Claude Kelly
Produced by Akon, Giorgio Tuinfort & Michael Jackson

“Hold My Hand” debuted as the first single. Recorded with Akon in 2008 in Las Vegas, it leaked out and was never released. Akon completed the song, with a music video to premiere December 9. “Hold My Hand” was written by Akon, Giorgio Tuinfort, Claude Kelly and produced by Akon, Giorgio Tuinfort and Michael Jackson.

2. Hollywood Tonight
Written by Michael Jackson, Brad Buxer/Spoken Bridge Written by Teddy Riley
Produced by Teddy Riley, Michael Jackson/Co-Produced by Theron “Neff-U” Feemster

Written by Michael during the time of the Invincible album, Michael pulled the track out of the archives in 2007 to work on the song with producer Ron “Neff-U” Feemster, Hollywood Tonight was written by Michael Jackson; the spoken bridge was written by Teddy Riley and the track was produced by Teddy Riley, Michael Jackson with co-producer by Theron “Neff-U” Feemster.

3. Keep Your Head Up
Written by Michael Jackson, Eddie Cascio, James Porte
Produced by C “Tricky” Stewart, Angelikson, Michael Jackson

In 2007, Michael wrote that inspirational ode with Eddie Cascio and James Porte in New Jersey. Keep Your Head Up was produced by Tricky Stewart, Angelikson, and Michael Jackson.

4. (I Like) The Way You Love Me
Written by Michael Jackson
Produced by Theron “Neff-U” Feemster, Michael Jackson

This song was originally released in its early stages of development as a demo on Ultimate Collection in 2004; it was song that Michael loved and was finishing in Los Angeles. The Way You Love Me was written by Michael Jackson and produced by Theron “Neff-U” Feemster and Michael Jackson.

5. Monster (Featuring 50 Cent)
Written by Michael Jackson, Eddie Cascio, James Porte/Rap Lyrics Written by Curtis Jackson
Produced by Teddy Riley, Angelikson, Michael Jackson

Recorded in New Jersey in 2007 at the Cascio home, Michael actually recorded some of his background vocals through a PVC pipe for the song. The song also features the rap of 50 Cent, who Michael had contacted about the collaboration. Monster was written by Michael Jackson, Eddie Cascio and James Porte with Rap Lyrics Written by Curtis Jackson. It was produced by Teddy Riley, Angelikson and Michael Jackson.

6. Best Of Joy
Produced by Theron “Neff-U” Feemster, Michael Jackson
Co-Produced by Brad Buxer

“Best of Joy” is one of the very last songs Michael was working on and had planned to continue to work on while in London for the O2 arena shows in Summer 2009. The song was written by Michael Jackson and produced by Theron “Neff-U” Feemster, Michael Jackson and co-producer by Brad Buxer.

7. Breaking News
Written by Michael Jackson, Eddie Cascio, James Porte
Produced by Teddy Riley, Angelikson, Michael Jackson

“Breaking News” recorded the song in 2007 in the New Jersey home of the Cascio family. Writers on the song are Michael Jackson as well as Eddie Cascio and James Porte. The song was produced by Teddy Riley, (Eddie Cascio & James Porte) Angelikson and Michael Jackson.

8. (I Can’t Make It) Another Day (Featuring Lenny Kravitz)
Written by Lenny Kravitz
Produced by Lenny Kravitz
Co-Produced by Michael Jackson

Recorded as a demo with Lenny Kravitz during the Invincible era, the song unexpectedly leaked in 2008 prompting Lenny to finish the song. Dave Grohl is the featured drummer on the track. Written by Lenny Kravitz and produced Lenny Kravitz and Michael Jackson.

9. Behind The Mask
Written by Michael Jackson, Chris Mosdell, Ryuichi Sakamoto
Produced by Michael Jackson, John McClain

After hearing "Behind The Mask" as performed by Yellow Magic Orchestra, Michael contacted Ryiuchi Sakamoto asking for permission to add his lyrics on the track. It was recently completed by John McClain. The song is written by Michael Jackson, Chris Mosdell and Ryuichi Sakamoto and produced by Michael Jackson and John McClain. “Behind The Mask” contains a sample of the recording "Behind The Mask" as performed by Yellow Magic Orchestra.

10. Much Too Soon
Produced by Michael Jackson, John McClain

“Much Too Soon” was written at time of Thriller. But never found the right home on an album. The song was written by Michael Jackson and produced by Michael Jackson and John McClain. David Campbell is featured on the strings.

I hadn't seen that. That's interesting. I'll try to find that article that I posted a few months ago. I distinctly remember reading that the songs he in Virginia in 2007 were in some kind of loop hole contract wise that made it so a separate team of people could release it without having Epic involved. That same article stressed that this (at the time upcoming) Epic release was NOT the same sessions. I believe some of these songs are recent...but not all of them.