JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

CHRISTMAS MUSIC

JumpinJack AJ

Well, Thanksgiving has passed and that means one thing...pretty much nobody can be annoyed by Christmas music...lol. I figured I'd create a post where we can spend the next month sharing Christmas music we loved growing up and new songs that have come out this year. Feel free to post videos as well. What are your favorite Christmas songs? What artists have done Christmas songs/albums you like?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had to get it started off with TLC's "Sleigh Ride." This came out in the winter of 1993 on the LaFace Family Christmas album and the Home Alone 2 soundtrack. I love that TLC did a song in their traditional style at that time. The colors, the fun, the dancing, and the production are traditional TLC, mixed with a holiday theme and lyrics. I remember this being in heavy rotation in it's time and it's shown up on countless compilations and soundtracks since. There's a smoothed out remix that can be found on promo CD's and vinyl.

The whole LaFace Family Christmas album is good. Toni Braxton's now classic version of "The Christmas Song" is on there. Usher's take on "This Christmas" (on of my favorite versions of the song) is on there, as are 2 songs by the 90's male R-N-B group A Few Good Men. The only thing that's out of place OutKast's "Playa's Ball" (why is it on a Christmas album) and the forgotten artist McArther (I don't remember any songs or album buy this guy).

TLC - Sleigh Ride
A LaFace Family Christmas (1993)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hlT1rTxa_0

Yeah this is the best time of the year, I've been digging through my music collection to find all my favorites, I play some of my favorites in between the year but now the time's finally arrived!:

Run-Dmc "Christmas In Hollis"

Boyz II Men Feat. Brian Mcknight "Let It Snow"

James Brown "Let's Make Christmas Mean Something This Year"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUflgXhqr4E

Latino singer Luis Miguel made one of the best Christmas albums ever compiling the most iconic American Christmas songs and having them translated to Spanish. So from all the Christmas albums Ive heard, this is my favorite.

Run-DMC's "Christmas In Hollis" is the 1st holiday record I throw on every year. I like that a few years later they came out with "Christmas Is." In my opinion, it's one of the best beats they ever rhymed over. I can't believe it wasn't more of a hit after what "Christmas In Hollis" did. I guess it's because at that point Hip-Hop wasn't as fun and innocent. It's a dope track...

RUN-DMC - Christmas Is
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erAWiT94or4

I'm gonna post more about Boyz II Men's Christmas album soon. It's my favorite Christmas album ever.

Digging that Christmas Is track AJ. Never heard it before, and this is coming from a Run DMC fan who owns all their albums.

Here ks a more relaxed simple alternatice Christmas song. A good one to put on before bed.

I've never been into Jimmy Eat World, but I kinda like that song.

Boyz II Men's "Christmas Interpretations" is my favorite Christmas album of all time. I think it's flawless from start to finish. The sound is amazing and I love that songs (other than "Silent Night") are all original. "Let It Snow" is a classic. I remember when it 1st was aired on MTV. Their appearance on The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air just hyped the album up even more. I think their 1st Christmas song was on A Very Special Christmas and this album followed a year or so later.

WHY CHRISTMAS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qKTykQjaIM

COLD DECEMBER NIGHTS

DO THEY KNOW
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTgY4Tb0-Ok&feature=related

In 1998 they appeared on Brian McKnight's "Let It Snow '98." I can't believe if, but nobody has it up on YouTube. It's the smoothest Christmas song I've ever heard.

In 2005 they released an album "Winter Reflections" overseas (only in Japan, I think). One disc is regular songs, the other disc is Christmas music. Unfortunately the 2 best tracks aren't on YouTube. Here's 2 of the songs off it.

Oh Come Oh Come Emanuel

The Christmas Song

Run-Dmc's one of my favorite groups but I never heard that "Christmas Is" either, I love that Boyz II Men album too, ever since I was a young boy I loved that, listening to that album makes me feel happiness

Just this week they released A Very Special Christmas Volumes 1, 2, plus a DVD in a set. It's specially price and u can even get it at Best Buy this week for just $9.99. Even tho' I had both volumes I bought it for the DVD since it was such a good price. Plus the copies I bought were used....now I can just give them 2 friends.

Another Christmas album I've always loved it 98 Degrees' . Some people hear 98 Degrees and think "late 90's boyband. I even thought that until I gave them a listen. They are essentially on the level of Boyz II Men. They started out as an R-N-B group signed to Motown. They'd get booked at black clubs and the BET Soundstage because the venues hear their music and thought they were 4 black guys...lol. Then they'd show and confuse the venue. Anyways, there Christmas album is great in my opinion. I can't stand the song "Little Drummer Boy" and 98 Degrees are the ONLY group that make me think it's okay.

98 DEGREES - This Gift (This is a live version of the single that supported the album)

98 DEGREES - Christmas Wish