JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

BUSH CALLS KANYE WEST'S KATRINA COMMENT 'DISGUSTING'

JumpinJack AJ

I came across this and found it interesting. Kanye's ignorant comment landed him on the lips of a US President as he described the situation "disgusting." The article had a link 2 the video. I watched it for the 1st time since it happened and was reminded of just how dumb Kanye West is. This idiot just can't filter the idiotic things things that come up in his 5 year old mindstate.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bush: Kanye West Katrina Comment 'Disgusting'

Lisa Flam Contributor
AOL News
(Nov. 3) -- George W. Bush says one of the "most disgusting moments" of his presidency came when Kanye West said Bush didn't care about black people in the wake of Hurricane Katrina.

"He called me a racist," the former president told NBC News for the "Matt Lauer Reports" program that will air Monday night, according to excerpts released by the network.

"And I didn't appreciate it then. I don't appreciate it now," Bush, 64, told Lauer. "It's one thing to say, 'I don't appreciate the way he's handled his business.' It's another thing to say, 'This man's a racist.' I resent it. It's not true. And it was one of the most disgusting moments in my presidency."

Bush was responding to West's comment during a live telethon in the wake of the devastating storm that struck Louisiana and Mississippi in 2005. "George Bush doesn't care about black people," said the 33-year-old black hip-hop artist.

Lauer read from Bush's soon-to-be-released book, "Decision Points": "I faced a lot of criticism as president. I didn't like hearing people claim that I lied about Iraq's weapons of mass destruction or cut taxes to benefit the rich. But the suggestion that I was racist because of the response to Katrina represented an all-time low."

"Yeah. I still feel that way as you read those words," Bush said. "I felt 'em when I heard 'em, felt 'em when I wrote 'em, and I felt 'em when I'm listening to 'em.

Lauer notes that Bush told his wife, Laura, at the time that it was the worst moment of his presidency.

"Yes," Bush said. "My record was strong, I felt, when it came to race relations and giving people a chance. And it was a disgusting moment."

President George W. Bush tours Biloxi after Hurrican Katrina
Susan Walsh, AP
President George W. Bush tours a devastated neighborhood in Biloxi, Miss., with Kim Bassier, left, and her sister Bronwynne Bassier on Sept. 2, 2005.
Lauer says to Bush: "You're not saying that the worst moment in your presidency was watching the misery in Louisiana. You're saying it was when someone insulted you because of that."

"No, and I also make it clear that the misery in Louisiana affected me deeply as well," Bush responds. "There's a lot of tough moments in the book. And it was a disgusting moment, pure and simple."

In another passage from the book, according to The New York Times, Bush wrote that he considered dropping Dick Cheney from his 2004 re-election bid to dispel the vice president's image as the "Darth Vader" of the White House and to "demonstrate that I was in charge."

The book is due out next week, but the Times obtained a copy on Tuesday.

This year marks the 10 year anniversary since the florida voting incident, if that didn't happen bush woulda never been president to begin with... i remember i actually applauded kanye west for taking a stand by going after bush for the way he handled katrina but really over these 5 years since then bush has looked more intelligent than kanye has, kanye don't stand for anything he says anymore and looking back that comment was nothing more than a pr stunt for his career cause he truely don't care about anyone but himself either it seems like....

Giving Bill Clinton props disgusts me. He just happened 2 be the President at a time when things were going smoother. George Bush Sr. actually had worked on improving the economy and that happened at the end of his term. Bill Clinton walked into an improving economy and gets the credit. I can't judge Bush's character but I believe he was just the President at the wrong time. Crap when down, things got bad, and he can't take ownership for alot that happened. I agree with Ted that since his presidency is over, Bush has been seen in a more accurate light since people around accusing him of anything. And while I don't follow politics too closely, Obama hasn't really done anything amazing other than change a few things that didn't need changed. I bow out of politics at this point. But I'll never get tired of saying Kanye is an idiotic douche.

Bush in a lot of ways was a very bad president. The worst thing was that him being a borne again christian realy led him too making bad, conservative (in a bad way) decisions trying to force his belives onto others. Thats is wrong. Politicians should not do that. I however still, unlike most people, give him credit for the liberation of Irak.

Edited by Turntable

If you study history America's been on downhill spiral for the last 25 years or so it seems like beginning with the 'crack era' of Ronald Reagan all the way to the "terrorism/recession" under George W. Bush/ Barack Obama, a lot of disagreements among congress is also to blame for the problems we've been happening since they influence a lot of the decisions that a president makes, and now with all the musical chairs moving with all these new members in congress being elected a couple days ago I actually think there could be more chaos ahead, I'm not that optimistic about our future at this moment from a political standpoint but I don't put much faith in politics, if there's gonna be true "change" it's gonna take the citizens to work together in order for it to happen since politicians are mostly out for their own benefit...

Bush was not the best president, no. However, I always thought it was funny when those that hated him painted him as an evil mastermind. He's a funny guy (in good and bad ways), but Illuminati he is not.

I also didn't think Kanye's statement was appropriate. That must have been pretty hard to wait this long to respond.

I don't think that Bush was as bad as some people made him to be but with him waiting this long to respond to Kanye while releasing his book shows that he's out for himself too 'cause if the book didn't come out he wouldn't say anything, Kanye's career on the decline to me as well, they're both on the same level of getting too much status then they deserve, Bush shoulda never been president while Kanye shouldn't be a famous rapper... Btw AJ, giving props to Bill Clinton is not disgusting especially since our beloved Fresh Prince said that he's the most intelligent person that he met in his life and personally in my 25 1/2 years of life I think that Bill Clinton's probably the best president in that timespan, it seems like life went downhill in the 10 years since he hasn't been president...
Btw, it's nice that Kanye finally came to his senses to say something positive here for a change but he still got a long way to go in my eyes to win my respect for him again:

After former United States President George W. Bush said Kanye West painted him as a racist for a slow response to 2005's Hurricane Katrina, Ye has responded to the situation.

Rathern than bashing Bush, West sympathized with the former president.

"Well I can definitely understand the way he feels to be accused of being a racist in any way because the same thing happened to me [with Taylor Swift], you know, where I got accused of being racist, and with both situations it was basically a lack of compassion that America saw," he said in an interview. "With him it was a lack of compassion not rushing, you know, taking his time to rush down to New Orleans. With me, it was a lack of compassion in cutting someone off in their moment, but none the less I feel we're all quick to pull the race card [in America]. And now I'm more open, and the poetic justice that I feel to go through the same thing that he went [through], and now I really more connect with him on a humanitarian level ... the next morning when he felt that, I felt the same thing." (XXL Mag)
Bush believes West made him appear as a racist following New Orleans' disaster.

"He called me a racist," Bush tells reporter Matt Lauer. "And I didn't appreciate it then. I don't appreciate it now. It's one thing to say, 'I don't appreciate the way he's handled his business.' It's another thing to say, 'This man's a racist.' I resent it, it's not true." ("Matt Lauer Reports")
Bush goes into further detail in his upcoming new book, Decision Points.

"Five years later I can barely write those words without feeling disgust." Lauer adds, "You go on: 'I faced a lot of criticism as President. I didn't like hearing people claim that I lied about Iraq's weapons of mass destruction or cut taxes to benefit the rich. But the suggestion that I was racist because of the response to Katrina represented an all-time low.' (Entertainment Weekly)
The rapper's comments gained national attention during the live broadcast in August 2005.

West has had several controversies throughout his career. On September 2, 2005, during a benefit concert for Hurricane Katrina relief on NBC, A Concert for Hurricane Relief, West was a featured speaker. Controversy arose when West was presenting, as he deviated from the prepared script. Actor Mike Myers, with whom West was paired to present, spoke next and continued to read the script. Once it was West's turn to speak again, he said "George Bush doesn't care about black people." At this point, telethon producer Rick Kaplan cut off the microphone and then cut away to Chris Tucker, who was unaware of the cut for a few seconds. Still, West's comment reached much of the United States. (Wikipedia)

Edited by bigted

"Disgust" is quite a strong word. :pound: Supposing theoretically that, economicaly, the US was improving because of the Republicans, it doesn't make Clinton a bad President because he continued on with that success.

I speed read Clinton's autobiography, My Life. On the international front, he was as well versed in international affairs as any President, he was an impartial peacemaker in the Mid East and an enviromentalist. What more could you want from a President.

Bush wasn't an evil President for getting rid of Saddam, but there are better ways of getting rid of
a madman then starting a war that left circa a million dead. There are just as many mad men in Africa,
but I guess Bush was pressured by the oil interests of his cabinet. Which is the worst thing you can
have in a President, to be pressured by outside interests rather then have a level head

Back on topic, kanye was dumb for a naive attack on Bush, but I do beleieve his 'dumb' attack did bring a greater attention to the situation there

Edited by rawad_m