JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Lupe Fiasco's LASERS Will Be Released

VIsqo

Fantastic album! I can understand when people get the idea that he "sold out" with the more commercial beats, however - just because they are commercial doesn't mean they're bad. This is an incredible album and I've been waiting 2 years since I heard "Shining Down" I knew this was going to be a classic.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got it today. They were sold out on Tuesday. They only had 7 damn copies.

Anyway, this is definitely a different album for Lupe. When I first heard that his label was pushing for a "commercial" song, I figured we might get a song or two with a more mainstream vibe. However, I feel like the label had their hands all over this one. It's just such a huge departure from his last two albums. Food & Liquor and The Cool are albums with a consistent theme. They feel organic and the songs all feel like they belong together. Lasers does not feel like this.

Which is not to say it is a bad album. It is a very good album. In fact, I think I will probably play it out in the coming weeks. Lupe may have been pushed to make an album with more mainstream appeal, but if you look at the album as a Lupe fan, listen to the lyrics, you will find a deep album. However, it doesn't seem quite as layered as his previous albums. But that is because, again, it does not feel organic. Instead of a natural flow, the songs appear just like any other album.

I'm sort of conflicted when it comes to the production. On one hand, it's really good. Some of the best I've heard in hip hop in a while. But again, it's not the consistent feeling that gave his last two albums a "feel."

I really dig some songs in particular of this album. I'm most interested in hearing the complicated history and battles of how this album came to be though. I'm still hoping we get The Great American Rap Album and LupE.N.D. Preferably on a new label.

Edited by Silver Tiger

• 2 weeks later...

Lupe Fiasco's Lasers overcame overwhelming negative appraisal to become the top selling album in the country last week. And we're not talking Kevin Federline numbers either. Lasers moved an impressive 204,000 units in its opening week, according to SoundScan.

Even more impressive: Lasers marks Lupe's first ever No. 1 album and his best week sales-wise. His 2006 debut Food & Liquor docked at No. 8 with 81,000, while 2007's The Cool debuted at No. 15 with 143,000.

http://rap.about.com/b/2011/03/21/lupe-fiascos-lasers-is-no-1-album-in-the-u-s.htm

Good Numbers!!

• 2 weeks later...

Like Jim said not all things commercial are wack, after all we're fans of JJFP and they put out commercial music, Lupe puts substance into his lyrics and that's something that very few do these days, it's about time that people start to recognize talent

I just found out that just like "Nothing On You", "Airplanes" was originally Lupe's...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfjsCaLFOhc

I don't know if he turned these tracks down or if the label took them from him....still....as much as i liked BoB's album, I like Lupe's version of both songs a lot more...

Yeah B.O.B. put out one of the better albums in recent hip hop but I think Lupe's a better mc