JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

"Titanic" Actress Gloria Stuart Dead at 100

Ale

headline17781.jpg

Gloria Stuart, a glamorous blond actress in the 1930s who came back to Hollywood in her 80s to play the older Kate Winslet character in the blockbuster flick "Titanic," died yesterday in Los Angeles. She was 100 this July 4th.

Stuart received an Academy Award nomination for the 1997 role and became oldest Oscar nominee in history. Director James Cameron said he was looking for an actress whose heyday had been Hollywood's golden era, and Stuart fit the bill. She later joked that at 87 she was one of few actresses her age who was "still viable, not alcoholic, rheumatic or falling down."

Stuart appeared in more than 40 films in the 1930s, including "The Invisible Man," "Gold Diggers of 1935," "The Prisoner of Shark Island," and "Poor Little Rich Girl." But her best success came more than half a century later with "Titanic."

In her 1999 memoir, "I Just Kept Hoping", Stuart said of her late blooming career, "When I graduated from Santa Monica High in 1927, I was voted the girl most likely to succeed. I didn't realize it would take so long."

http://www.worstpreviews.com/headline.php?id=19110&count=0

-----

RIP Gloria!

Edited by Ale