JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Jay-Z Disses Hammer, Hammer Responds!

bigted

I gotta give it up to Hammer for how he's handled this whole
situation with Jay-Z, like he said in that article too many
rappers have kissed up to Jay-Z over the years, it took heart
and balls for somebody to come out with a diss against him, Hammer been standing up for himself like a man for damn near 25 years, he always responded to his critics throughout the years, he did it on "Turn This Mutha Out",
"Funky Headhunter", "Full Blast", and now on "Better Run Run", he's in the class of all the great hip hop artists like LL, FP, and KRS, first class all the way...
and hate him or love him he damn near got a million views
on youtube in less than a week, maybe Kel Spencer should diss
50 Cent next to get some street buzz going, lol....

Here's the article from sohh.com:
Rap veteran MC Hammer has responded to Jay-Z days after the hip-hop entrepreneur denied intentionally wanting to spark a beef with him on his "So Appalled" track.

Writing on Twitter, Hammer said he felt confident in "defeating" Jay.

"@MercedesRay320 Big Play Ray.. I already won. I addressed a man that most men fear. Used him as a warning to others. And checked him too..," Hammer tweeted Thursday (November 4).
"Nothing worse than a Spineless Man (ask any woman) .. I ReBuke Weakness.."Why you gett'n at J" .. Shut up 'Gurly Men'.. govenator lol"
"He Blindsided me with "So Appalled" and now he "wines" me with his new book.. Sean Carter is a genius.. But don't sleep on me .." (MC Hammer's Twitter)
Earlier this week, Jay denied trying to intentionally slam Hammer.

"I didn't know that wasn't on the table for discussion," Jay laughingly told DJ Semtex. "I didn't know I was the first person to ever say that? Am I? [laughs] I'm not, am I? I know I've heard that before, I didn't think I was the first one to say it. I guess, you know when I say things, I think people believe me so much that they take it a different way. It's not rap anymore at that point. I didn't mean it. I said some great things about him in the [Decoded] book that I have coming out -- he's gonna be like, embarrassed. I said some really great things about him in the book and about people's perception of him and how he's from East Oakland. It is what it is. He took it the wrong way. I didn't know I said anything wrong. I don't know if I said a lie." (DJ Semtex)
On the Kanye West "So Appalled" collaboration, Jay comments on Hammer's fall from fame and publicized bankruptcy despite being a platinum-selling artist in the early 1990's.

"And Hammer went broke so you know I'm more focused/ I lost 30 mil so I spent another 30/Cause unlike Hammer 30 million can't hurt me." ("So Appalled")
In response, Hammer released a diss music video called "Better Run Run" at Hov.

The track includes several lyrical references to the rapper, as well as an apparent lookalike. In one verse, MC Hammer raps: "Yo Jay I gotta reason to doubt, if I knock on your door would you come on out? "If I knock on your door that mean I'm knockin' you out, if I knock on your door boy I'll bust you in ya mouth." (Gigwise)

Edited by bigted

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jay's response in the article is completely arrogant. The wording he uses and the laughter isn't part of stating that he didn't intend on sparking tension. He's a fool...Hammer did the right thing.

It seems like Jay-Z ain't taking Hammer serious enough here but that's all right, Hammer said on Twitter today that he's gonna drop new music around the holidays since he's always recording so if Jay-Z or any other rapper runs their mouth again then he'll have something ready for them, it's like what Fresh Prince said on "Mr. Nice Guy", "it's just a warning shot", he's "too legit to quit", this is Hammer's Twitter post today:

"I have ton of songs .. I Never stop recording ... Holidays I'll drop something."

MC Hammer's not responding as a gimmick to sell records, he's defending himse, everyone who hates on Hammer should read thislf as a man with principles, this interview I posted on this website before displays that:

MC Hammer Interview
Whatcha been up to Hammer?.. Pt 1
by Davey D 6/97

This interview was conducted with Hammer abouta couple of months ago.. He came through the station and let me peep out his new lp... Which is the bomb.. Afterwards me Hammer sat down and spoke for almost two hours.. Whether or not you like his music..One thing i've come to find out about Hammer... He's a very smart individual.. And he's nobody's punk... He dropped a whole lot of science on everything ranging from the east/west coast war.. To Suge knight to his philosophy on hip hop... Check this interview out and get back at me.. To let me know what you think...

Davey D

email Davey D

Davey D: It's been awhile since people have heard or seen you. What has Hammer been doing over the last couple of years? Since his last album?

MC Hammer: Well you know I've been sittin' back, Davey, makin' sure that when I do come back musical speaking, I wanted to make sure that the project was real tight. Because you know whenever Hammer does something it's going be scrutinized... So I had to make sure that the music is tight, that it's lyrically tight and that people can have a good time and at the same time receive something....Like some substance... You know I always try to put that positive touch on things.. So I been actually just gettin' myself together, recognizing and preparing to come back out.

Davey D: For most people the last thing they really remember about Hammer, is that he went from baggy pants to having a more hardened, gangsta type image and there was some criticism about it. Now that Hammer is in the '97, is Hammer going back to what has been his original image or is he coming with something different? How should we expect Hammer?

MC Hammer: Well, when we say image, we have to understand that clothing does not change a person's character, so i've never done what they call gangsta rap that's not my thing. That's the next man's thing if thats how he chooses to come more power to him. But as for Hammer, i've always done the type of music that's entertaining and fun. From 'it's all good' all the way back to 'let's get it started'.

There was someone who wanted to label me because I didn't wear the same clothes that I wore in 1988 or 1989...No one is wearing what they wore in '88 or '89. People wanted to say 'oh well, Hammer got on the clothes that people are wearing today, he must be a hard core gangsta but the music remained the same.

now in 1997 I will choose once again, go into my closet and choose some attire I feel appropriate for 1997, but the music is what's important. The music is gonna be once again fun, positive and uplifting and at the same time there will be some songs that are very serious.

Davey D: Within hip hop community especially among some of the more insider types, there has always been criticism that have been launched at Hammer. They said that your music isn't real hip hop. There have been criticisms that state that your decision to do advertisements and things like that were sellout moves and that Hammer wasn't real hip-hop. How do you respond to all that?

MC Hammer: Well, we have to realize the truth about the person who is a hip-hop insider. Most of these people are not really insiders. They are people who are chosen to do an interview and they will make a statement and say that they are a part of the hip-hop culture, but from an intellectual standpoint, they are not very sharp, because back in '1990..'91 one would criticize somebody for doing one type of commercial and say that's not real hip-hop and then another rapper turns around and sell them malt liquor and say that's real hip hop.

who would want to be considered a part of a culture or an insider..A man who is educated.Or someone who wants to be a part of a click that doesn't even understand what they are saying or speaks from both sides of their mouth?

that is the problem that we have with the so-called hip hop culture today... I think our foundation is a bunch of people who don't have any education. So one day they'll say one thing the next day they'll say another they'll say 'don't do a commercial' then it's 'let's do a commercial'. One day it's don't do tv shows', now it's ok to have hip-hop artists with sitcoms.... Everything that one sets their mind to do is in today and out tomorrow so we have to get to the point in the hip hop generation where we understand what we truly want. We have to know what it is and we also have to choose our responsibilities a little better, because people cannot represent us when they don't have the knowledge to represent us.

Davey D: What is it that you feel hip hoppers should be striving for in `97? Is it a business ? Is it a culture ? Should we doing it for the love of the music? Do you do it for the money for the love of the music or what?

MC Hammer: Well, everything you do in life you have to do if it's an art. A baseball player, makes a lot of money does we play for the money or does we play for the baseball? When he was a young man, 10 years old, and he was not on the little league field he was playing cause he loved the game. You never lose the love of the game. I been dancing and making music when I was 4 or 5 years old, so i'm always gonna have love for what I do. The fact that i'm paid for what I do is a blessing... I love the music and i'm glad that it is also the way I make my living...You never lose the love for it.

Davey D: Let me go back to some of the more recent things that people have found you to be in the headlines for. One of the most prominent things was your decision to go on to Death Row. Tell us about your experience there, what has happened with Death Row.. And are you still with Death Row?

MC Hammer: Well, #1 my decision to be a part of the Death Row family came about because Suge Knight and I have a relationship that goes back all the way back to about 1987-88....Suge called me asked me would I like to join the family... Of course, with the marketing machine that Death Row has, and the way that Suge knew how to get behind an artist and push his music and also the fact that Suge Knight was and still CEO of what the so-called insiders would call a gangsta rap label wanted to put MC Hammer on his label...Well, what do they say? It said what I had always said that music is music. When the head of the so-called hardest label in america would call and say Hammer, 'I want you to put your music down on my label', I knew that this would be a good opportunity to go out here and set the record straight and clean up some of the position that was put out by journalist media that exploit the music and culture. This was an opportunity to clear a lot of that up by me aligning myself with Suge and Death Row.

Davey D: Talk about the exploitation. You had mentioned this at one point, but you said that there had been a lot of exploitation going on within hip hop and culture. Explain how you see that exploitation and where is it now?

MC Hammer: Well, let me say this. It's ignorance. We have been lead as the hip hop generation. We have been once again lead by people who are under qualified. It's like they just got a pair of new jeans..They just started wearing them below their belt 2 months ago. They get a job at a magazine or radio station, and they say they represent the hip hop culture, but if you were to really asked them on a knowledgeable basis. What do they know about our industry, not just as the hip hop culture, but as african americans, they can't get technical. They don't have real facts, so what we need to do is and what my point is that the hip hop generation needs to focus. And once we focus we can build and in order to do that we have to start at the beginning and that is to understand that music itself is just music.

Davey D: Who do to see as viable people that we should be looking towards within hip hop. I ask you that very seriously because I remember a time that you had a conversation with chuck d and krs-1, and during that conversation, you seem to be doing a lot of teaching and they were listening which I think a lot of people would have found surprising. Considering the images that people have had of all 3 artists. Who are the leaders within the hip hop culture. Who should we be following? Who do you think is misleading?

MC Hammer: Well, follow who you want to follow. It depends on what your fantasies are. You understand. People have different fantasies in life. The suburban culture. Always dream of being gangstas. If you ever knew little kids when they were little.. They always wanted to be cowboys and indians. Somebody wanted to be the good and somebody wanted to be the bad guy. Every kid in the ghetto dream of being rich, and rich kid wants to be a gangsta. The docotomy that exist, and what i'm stating is that, we should look to whoever it is an individual that we want to follow. Now if you looking for an intelligent representation of the hip hop culture, then I could name some individuals. But if you fantasy is to be a gangsta then I'll tell you somebody else. Then if your fantasy is to be a business person and still love this music and still have fun, then I'll have somebody else. It depends on what direction you want to go in. That's who you should follow.

Davey D: Let's talk about the intelligent side and the business side, who should we be following? Who sets good examples for us to start emulating within hip hop?

MC Hammer: Well i've always been a friend of chuck Ds, but you know I like a lot of the things that he says, krs-1, I like a lot of the things that he said. This is not clicheŠ, because one of the things that I always have a problem with is the hip hop culture is that there is a lot of individuals who say clicheŠ things. In other words the new things they say today is 'i'm keepin it real' but what does that really mean? Because keepin' it real is not when I go out and pick up a magazine and I read the article and it's nothing but explicits. That's not keeping it real, because when I talk to most of my partners in this rap game, every second word is not an explicit. That ain't how it goes.

when you read that in some of the magazines, it would leave one to believe that we only speak with explicits. You're not keepin it real and that's one of the things I want to focus on as a veteran artist is that lets change the concept what's real... Because a lot of the things they say is real fake. Take out the fakeness and let's put real back in there. We are educated.

Davey D: What do you see as being fake?

MC Hammer:being fake to pretend like when you have a conversation. That your conversation is always laced with explicits. How can a rap artist be so intelligent is the deliver his music with metaphors, they hook up intellectual lives, they do all of these things...Very bright minds, then all of a sudden their doing an interview and when you read it, one is led to believe the person only talks in broken english and bad sentences and that the very essence of ebonics is what this person's dialogue is built upon. That is not true. Lets start keeping it real. I'm saying to a lot of my partners who are rap artists, 'man when y'all do your next interview, speak without using all them explicits'... Not because you can do it, but because you are some type of role model to somebody. Let your fans know that when you want to speak one way you and can and when you want to speak another, you can also do that. But you decide that on a larger level that you are going to speak this way, cause our want to influence your fans to be intelligent.

Davey D: The east/west coast war. That was something that really put a black mark on hip hop. Let's go back to it, because in some ways since i've known you, I could say that Hammer was somebody that definitely planted some seed a long time ago when he did the video dissin' run DMC. There's been that competitive nature and it has moved from pint a to something that has just gotten totally out of hand. How have to seen this whole east/weest coast thing? Is it something that has gotten blown out of proportion? Is it okay to have the competitiveness in rap? And how have you seen your role within that?

MC Hammer: I won't let you get away with that one. The things that run DMC and I did way back in the early 80's, does not compare to all the ignorance that's done today. Run and I are the best of friends. If I call the good reverend on the telephone, were gonna have an intelligent conversation. You'll hear us tell each other I love you and I love you back... Because we understand what we are doing... Even if we had a difference, we never let it get to the point that we wanted to be violent with each other.

I see jam master jay flying different places, we conversate and we laugh about years ago, as a matter of fact, I invited run dMC to become a part of Death Row about a year ago. As a matter of fact, the night Tupac was shot we had run dMC at the club 662 in Las Vegas with the purpose of building a relationship so that we could sign them to Death Row since Death Row was expanding. So once again, were not on the page of east/west coast rivalry thing. You know, I talked to Suge and we brought Erica B in from New York to be the president of Death Row east, so I was all about trying to get this thing to a peace position, certainly not a violent position and my position has always been I don't care where your from.

let me give you an example Davey, on my new album, you'll hear me say some things about too short. I am not being violent with too short, but on several albums of he's made comments about MC Hammer directly and indirectly. It comes a time that a person must put an end to that. I'm not gone start something, I'm gone finish it. I'm going to finish those indirect innuendoes that he makes on his records, but don't want to be violent with too short. No it's not necessary. I'm a check him on these records, the same way that he checked me and we gone leave it at that, and when I see him in the streets, I'm say what's up Todd {too short's real name] how ya feeling?

Davey D: How should people interpret those sort of things now that there has been this perception that things can get out of control? I ask that, cause I went back to the whole run DMC thing because, once upon a time you had these rivalries and they just remained rivalries. The fact that you were able break bread and be friends and laugh at that is something that you don't see happening these days. Everybody seems to take things so personal. And it seems that things have moved to a whole new level. How should one look at this situation when they hear your new record or is it something we should look at and all? Do I need to decide whether or not I'm a Hammer fan or a too short fan. Is it something that you see as a media may look at and try to exploit it is it something that we need to look at from a totally different perspective that hasn't been spoken about?

MC Hammer: Well, the media can't exploit me. You see they can't exploit me cause I'm gonna speak for myself. I would call Davey D up and say, I need to talk to you on your show street knowledge, things are getting out of hand we have the use of these airwaves and let's get a hold of this thing. Let's talk. I use to do that with Arsenio. When I would think something out there was being improperly spoken on my behalf or concerning me, I would try to access these airwaves and use this media to straighten it out. People shouldn't want to draw sides, but if you want to that's human, but don't be in place of us.

in other words, I'm from the old school. If I got a problem with you. That's between me and you. It ain't me and my partners and you and your partners, I don't have to hide behind my partners, I don't need that east/west coast rivalry. I name your name. Its me and you. If your geographical location is Virginia, then that's where you live. I'll tell you by name. I got a problem with such and such, I don't have a problem with your whole state. See the east/west coast rivalry is a fallacy, why? Because its not even the whole east coast. Everybody that somebody had a problem with basically lived in New York. So what about all the other states that exist on the east coast? They had nothing to do with that, but once again I have to say this...Many who represent the hip hop generation the hip hop culture. They are un-learned people. And if they are learned then they are playing games. They shouldn't do that. You know we are smarter than that as a culture and as a people.

You know good and well there ain't no rivalry with a whole coast..Especially if we narrow it down to who is who and who has a problem with who. Who is your problem with? And I'd say this very freely to 2Pac... Man, in this so called east coast west coast we're gonna have to narrow this down man, you can't fight the whole coast and that's real man personal battle is a personal battles name names so other individuals not involved won't get involved and make it bigger. Because it can get out of hand. You can't have the fans who love you, and support you will see a certain artist on the streets and on your behalf try to serve them.

Davey D: What was it like working with Pac and Suge Knight. What were they like behind the scenes?

MC Hammer: 2 Pac...I really had genuinely brotherly love for Pac when I became a part of the Death Row family, he immediately ran into the studio and woke up the next morning. I had told him about a sang I wanted to do. It was off the Ohio players skin tight I wanted to called it too tight . Before I could get to the studio 2 Pac had gotten up early that morning went to the studio, called in the background singers, laid down the background, wrote a rap he wanted me to rap and it was done. He immediately embraced his partner from the town.

I knew the real 2 Pac not what journalist write about. Where they say they've down with Pac and all that exploitation to make the magazine sell more or make radio station sound better. Somebody wants pretend like because he came by for one interview that they really knew him. But they didn't know him. I knew 2 Pac behind the scenes. This was a genuine, talented young man. This was at the same time a very emotional was, a troubled man. A man that you would really respect and love. He was all of those things.

it was a sad situation for me as his friend as are who stood over his bed in the hospital to see him there in that condition. It brought everything to head for me to say Hammer what could you have done as a friend and as an artist and as a man to have prevented this. I really said to myself on a few occasions that I might could've help stop this thing. Maybe I should've slows Pac down a little bit at times, and I live and wrestle with that a lot cause I was there. I was there in Las Vegas. I saw him right before it happened. He came up to my car and was talking to me. He told me about the incident that had just happen. I asked him some questions about it cause I was concerned. He said it was all squashed. And don't worry about it. And then 15 minutes later he's lying on the sidewalk. Its a very deep situation .

I felt as though that a lot of responsibility just like I accept mine. That at some point the media who likes to remain faceless in situations like this have a lot of responsibility. It was really good to hype up the East vs. West coast war. It sold a lot of magazines, it made radio and television interesting. By hyping this thing up and how when individuals lie there lifeless everybody wanna back up and pretend like they don't have anything to do with this and they wanna ask how can we solve this. We could've solved this by not exploiting this from the beginning.

Davey D: What about Suge Knight?

MC Hammer: What I'll say about Suge is this. Everybody who grew up in a neighborhood had an individual that was like the big man of the neighborhoods. While many in another neighborhood would fear him.. He would be your partner. So while over around the lake they were sacred to death of him. But you came onto high street, he's buying everybody ice cream. That's Suge Knight. Suge knight had a lot of people fear him and I'm not gonna sugar coat him and say he didn't have his altercations and handle his business and what not. That was Suge as well, but with MC Hammer, we were friends. We were even closer than friends.

I know his mother. He has helped my mother in a situation and were not talking economics or anything like that, he defended my mom out on the streets. It was at a concert and people got out of hand. Suge saw my mother he ran over there and got my mother and had to knock people out and took my mother all the way to her car. And made sure my mother was safe.

I know a different Suge Knight. I know the other side when he called me. He didn't call me while I was selling 25 million records, he called me while everyone was saying I don't know about Hammer. Suge called and said Hammer came on and get down with Death Row. I know the Suge Knight that gave mother's day dinners to all of the mothers in the heart of the inner city. Her would take them and spend 2-3 hundred thousand dollars on bringing in the best talent, bring them into Beverly hills hotel, even though he knows this is not the traditional place where a person who doesn't have the means would be. He would provide then with dinner and flowers. That's the side of Suge Knight. I deal with Suge was and is a friend to me.

Davey D: What is Hammer doing now and are you still at Death Row? How will your new music be marketed?

MC Hammer: I'm not gonna do any shoppin'. What I am doing is putting music out. I'm 10 years in the game and I know how to handle this and deal with this. The fact is that it's no secret that there are numerous attacks on the label, and the entity of Death Row, so being a person who has to be wise and understand whets going on I know that it is best for me as a businessman to make sure that I get my music out so that I can provide for my family and for those who look to me for support. While my partner's company is going through trials and tribulations, the music will be out there soon as you know it's already on the radio. My new label is called defense. Its defense, music, defense records and defense arts. Everybody can be on offense but defense is gonna win the game.

Davey D: Is it an independent label?

MC Hammer: More or less but on today's level. We have more tools to use today than we did 10 years ago. Davey D: You're being cool about this. Are you an independent? Are you shopping a deal?

MC Hammer: In due time, you have to know how to use the media. Now what I'm speaking of is radio, so I know how to use the media. Everybody who is looking to buy the album... It'll be in your stores, how it got there is not important, as long as it can get to your radio, CD player and into your house. That's what's important.

Davey D: Let's talk about all your outside activities. I hear your doing movies and there's a possible talk show in the works. Are you moving from music into movies?

MC Hammer: One should never limit oneself. There are lots of things an individual can do... You can certainly do movies and music that's easy. Once you do a record it's done. If you're talented enough you can do some other things. I'm doing movies. I have a sitcom. The movie is a pilot for another sitcom. I'm real excited about that. The movie is called connections, but you never know by the time it comes out, they may change the name. I did this particular film for show time. There's a strong possibility this may be launched with a concert. It will be MC Hammers family affair. Which is the name of my album. I also just completed a one hour special on VH-1, which is a documentary on the life of MC Hammer. I'm just continuing to work and entertain.

Davey D: What's your connection to Holyfield and boxing. Also with Tyson being out, who do you roll with since your friends with both?

MC Hammer:Holyfield is a friend...What I did with Holyfield was simply tried to take the pressure of all the business off him at the time so he could concentrate on winning the championship back which he did. At this particular time I'm not his manager. I'm concentrating on Hammer and moving my career forward. But I also am a friend and will continue to be a friend of Mike Tyson. I watch then both from a distance, because once again I know what goes on behind the scenes. And what you see in the end result, it's two combatants, two athletes who are in the ring fighting. But there are lots of things that go into making it a fight or fight night. I respect them both and I respect what they do. I'm gonna continue to be a friend to both. It's like rap music, they're just boxing. It's not like after they hate each other. They're just getting paid, handling their business.

Davey D:Your being a little coy about that as well. I was at a Sports Image dinner and they talked about a little bit more involvement. They said some people from Holyfield's camp sought you out.... in the mountains of South America somewhere to look for you to help them do something, so you got to elaborate on that and let us know what's up on that?

Hammer Hey, it's just a blessing when somebody respect you enough to say well, Hammers can help us with this on the business side. That was one of the things, that always bothered me about having file chapter 11...Bankruptcy. I knew that the public a lot of the time were uninformed. And they don't understand what bankruptcy meant. And even more so than filing the bankruptcy. I was worried as a person who prides himself upon handling business... that people would perceive this as Hammer don't know how to handle his business, when Donald Trumpjust 2 years ago files bankruptcy, because why? He's handling business. So how does that relate to Holyfield, Holyfield knew that MC hammer, the business man, would know how to step in here and help me out with this situation and his camp knew that and I came in and I thank god we did the job, and how won that title back and we moved forward, so.

Davey D: So what exactly did you do?

Hammer Hammer, first of all the contract, I called and I asked them to send me all your contracts. I wanted to see legally what everybody's position was... because there were people in the camp I felt as though had dual interests. They weren't acting in his best interest. But I wanted to see if that was written.. and low and behold I found what I needed to find in that contract. I called certain people involved in his life and I said 'Man your wearing 2 hats, how could you properly represent this man, when you getting paid from both sides, and its in the contract that you getting paid from both sides'?.. The gentlemen simply told me, 'Well Hammer if you allow me to just take a cut in pay, I will reduce my fees quietly and step back, but I don't want to be fired'...
I worked it out, and we saved a lot of money, and he went from getting a percentage to a flat fee. Things like this so I called say... 'Holyfield you don't need to listen to him, cause he's not acting in your best interest.' And then I went into the other aspects of his life and the main thing, whenever anybody is preparing something this big they need the weight of the business lifted of their shoulders, so that they can concentrate in the craft! So I allowed Holyfield to be able to concentrate on the craft of regaining his title, and it went all the way to the contracts down to who is going to be at the door...Making sure who come in and out on fight night, so that you're not bombarded with people wanting to wish you well, but they don't know when they should wish you well.. They taking up your energy and your focus. So I put one of my partners from High street on the door who didn't know any of his friends and when they come to the door they were told they're gonna have to see Holyfield after the fight

. Davey D: Now at the end of the fight, he made a lot of references. He was definitely talking a lot about god.

Hammer That's a different fight. See I did the Bowe fight, the Bowe fight 2. The one your speaking of right now is the Tyson one.

Davey D: Right. You didn't have nothing to do with the Tyson one?

Hammer No. Not directly. I can't take propers for something I didn't do.

Davey D: Well, see it's what they were referring to. They said that Hammer had something to do with the Holyfield/Tyson fight. This is what came out at the Sports Image Awards. This guy stood there and thanked you profusely on stage for damn near 10 minutes.

Hammer Do you want me to clarify this?

Davey D: Yes. Clarify this.

Hammer Ok. That particular gentlemen is the legendary leader of the US boxing team, Emanuel Stuart. We had a problem with Holyfield technically speaking boxing wise. We wanted him to sit down on his punches more, so that the right would be heavier. When I came into the camp Holyfield had, whoever it was at that particular time was his trainer. Well, I'm a boxing fan, I've been a boxing for years, and I know how to box, so I felt like I know who Holyfield should have training him. So I took it upon myself to call Emanuel Stuart and said, if I could work something out man, could you come in and train Holyfield for the Bowe fight because what we were missing...

Davey D: Is this the Tyson fight or the Bowe fight?

Hammer The Bowe fight. This is the Bowe fight. And what we were missing was a heavy right hand. Holyfield would sting you, but we needed him to drop you. So I knew Emanuel could technically make this possible. What Emanuel was speaking of was that the techniques that was taught for the Bowe fight is what enabled him to bring it to Mike. You see now because Holyfield sits down on those punches and any fight fans who are listening knows that its true. Holyfield hits a lot harder now than he did 4 years ago. That's because, now I'm not trying to pat myself on the back, but I'm glad to be a part of it. That I saw fit to bring in Emanuel Stuart and teach him how to sit down, and don't get it wrong, cause Holyfield is a boxing genius, he knows things, but Emanuel definitely helped a lot and that enabled him to have a great fight against Tyson.

Davey D: So you brought Emanuel into the picture for Holyfield?

Hammer Absolutely.

Davey D:Do you do amateur boxing, I know you have boxing stuff at your house?

Hammer Yeah, well you know its a thing we've always done on High street, we box. And everybody who knows,and knows us from High street we used to settle our differences in the old days, by meeting in Brookdale Park at 4pm and we were gonna put these gloves on and that's going all the way back when I was 12 years old. So I have always been a big boxing fan. Love the sport and continues that and carried that on in and when the opportunity came that I could help my friend with my boxing knowledge. I did that, and I was just glad to do that. To get that championship ring meant a lot.

Davey D: Now where is Hammer sitting at now in terms of your involvement in politics in other arenas. I mean there was a whole thing about you doing something with the Mayor of Fremont, where you live and there was also some talk for a little bit that you might actually start being involved on a political level or even run for an office or something? Some of the rumors going around. So clarify that. So what's the deal on that? Hammer and politics?

Hammer Well, people use to say that they don't want to be involved with politics and certainly I don't want to run for any office. But you have to be political. If your not political, your living beneath your privilege. Why am I saying that? Take for instance all my brothers that are incarcerated, in jail, and need help, but different situations and different cases and different laws that affect their ability to get out. If we become political at the right time, we can vote on the right things. We can help recall things, we can help get amendments pass and things like that. So we have to become political even if we don't want to. Also the fact that I know the people like Martin Luther King and other fought for us to have the ability to be political, so I take it upon myself to vote every year, I look forward to it. I take it upon myself to stand up in certain situations that are politically related, and so I am political Davey? I have to be. It's my right. A lot of people died for me to be political, so yeah I'm political. I always support certain situations when I think its appropriate.

Davey D: Earlier you talked about role models, and the type of responsibility rap artist or people that are very visible have. How do you see this now. I would like for you to explain it like you explained it on the air. In terms of putting everything in its proper perspective. In terms of when I hear a gangsta rapper talk about bang, bang, shoot em up. Is that how it should be? Is that what I should be striving for? Is there another way I should be looking at it?

Hammer Well, what you have to do and what I do is I respect all the artist for who they are. And I think that is very important that we keep everything in it proper perspective. If you look at a rapper who has chosen to use what we call gangsta style, one can say that is like an Arnold Schwarznegger movie, and we don't expect when we see this rapper for him to have a gun in his pocket and yelling bang, bang and shooting everybody, then the music is okay. But if you think that because you hear a person's music that should be the lifestyle that you choose to use or try to live, then it's wrong. It's not the music that wrong, it's your perception and how you take the music that's wrong. And the rap artist themselves know that..
I have never seen a rap artist yet to come and say, 'I'm a gangsta'. What he says is 'Man I spit that gangsta rap cause gangsta rap makes a gang of snaps [money]'. It's business. But we got to keep it in perspective. And what had happened was, because of the media's push and exploitation and young minds, young minds begin to try to live what they hear on the record. And that's when it gets out of hand, and that's when Davey D got to step up, as he does, and people who should do and they have the availability of the airwaves and the mothers and fathers, uncles, they all got to step up and say to their children, 'Man hold on, sister hold on that's a record. I don't mind you listening to that record, you 16, 17 years old, cause I don't necessarily say to a kid that's 8 or 9 years old should be listening to that particular music. I don't care what nobody say, I don't want no 8 or 9 year old kid listening to a whole bunch of explicit lyrics about I kill this, I kill that and that's not who its for, but a young adult, okay listen to it, but put it in its proper perspective. It's like a movie on record and when its over say oh that was a good one, cause I'm use to seeing that. If you seen that in your community, you can relate to it, but don't be a part of it. Be a part of the solution, not a part of the problem.

Davey D: There's a perception of Hammer being bubble gum, pop, very soft. But in reality There's been a lot of involvement that you have, I mean you talk about before in the past that a lot of your partners have been employed who have come out of the pen. There are people that you are constantly dealing with who are in and out and I've also seen you take that activism and even though it hasn't been publicized you were probably the person who came up with the whole concept of the Street Soldiers program that is now aired nationwide and headed by Joe Marshall. Can you talk about that whole perspective and how you managed to both keep your foot and mind in the community, but at the same time manage to craft an image that is very different that the type of reality that you often times be engaged in?

Hammer Well in the streets we call it game. You see in business its just business. In other words, when I came up with the idea that I wanted to be a rap artist, why didn't I choose the gangsta style because that was my reality. All my partners all the friends that be around my community there's no secret, you go through High street and Lyon street. You know what was going on, so that was my reality. So I didn't need to fantasize about living in a gangsta life or living in a gangsta environment. It was real, so man I don't want to rap about that, I want to rap on how to get up out of here. I want to rap about a solution. I want to rap about living, I want to rap about having a good time. I want to rap about man I need to know god. I need to pray. So I wanted to try to balance off what I knew that which was a reality and a solution for getting out of that reality, so I choose a style that would help the kids and even the young adults see another side and have some hope I choose that because that's what I wanted to do and there was nobody in this rap game that could convince me to do otherwise.. I have to say simply I do what I want to do. I've always been my own man, not influenced by what the next man says. And that's very important, cause these youngsters today sometimes they are very influenced by what the next man say. And there image is shaped by somebody else instead of by their own minds. So I choose that image, the positive image. I'm glad I did. Some may have to call the persona of MC Hammer bubble gum, but they would never call Hammer the man bubble gum (laughs). And that's just real. And what was bubble gum? It meant his songs were fun. He wasn't talking about trying to kill somebody and all that. Well if that's bubble gum, then give me a pack. Because I'm not trying to kill anybody on records and what not. I'm not trying to kill anything at all. I'm trying to encourage you to be set free and live.

Davey D: The bankruptcy issue. Your money situation. What is the real deal on this. I mean is it something that is partial to being in your position? I mean are you really broke? Have you figured out some kind of elaborate scheme that you want to spit game about, that we should all follow, so that we can be bankrupt and still be successful. You know I don't know. What's the real deal with that? Clarify that please.

Hammer That's a good question. It's an appropriate question. Number one the bankruptcy was something I did because I looked at my business situation at the time and it was an accumulation of things that transpired al the way from 1990-91 if you could believe that. I had lawsuits facing me were people were suing me for $20 million dollars, for things I wasn't even there for, that's because they know MC Hammer had money, so they were suing hammer, and I had fought these cases for 2 and 3 years for 2 and 3 hundred thousand dollars a piece. Well in case you don't know, when an individual files bankruptcy that puts a stop to those particular cases. They can go no further. That's #1 they can go no further. #2 on the economic side that brings to a halt a lot of the legal fees that are involved with this particular case, because now we don't have to do as many answers. You have to wait and allow a person to re-group under the law of bankruptcy. That was the purpose for filing chapter 11. Not just the lawsuits, the overall business of people ran debts in the name of MC Hammer on my behalf through business. So Hammer was left with bills that he didn't generate. So again I said well how do I take control.

Davey D: How did somebody run up bills in your name?

Hammer Well you know in business, for instance Donald Trump filed bankruptcy to re-organize his business. It's always strange to me and I do not blame this on our selves. When somebody not of African American decent on a large level file a chapter 11, they say are you broke? I've never heard anyone say Donald Trump are you broke? They say, oh Donald Trump filed bankruptcy and you take it with a grain of salt. Why? Cause you know that he's gonna continue to handle his business and he's gonna make money. General public makes about 15,16 or 17 thousand a year. Well anybody who's listening know if I decide to take a band and go and do a show anywhere in this country, but before I take the stage, I'm gon get 50, 60 or 70 grand deposited in my account. What would you consider broke? At the risk of not insulting the people. You never want to insult the people, how could you even think that MC Hammer would that kind of broke. See not that kind of broke. Not that kind.

Davey D: Not the kind where you would be in the poor house.

Hammer Definitely not that kind. But not even that kind. Davey you are putting me in a position here. The position you put me in Davey, I don't know how much you make a year. To say not that kind. You understand what I am saying? I don't know how much money you make, but I ain't that kind of broke. So if you find yourself on a corner somewhere with your bag of potato chips and with your soda water getting in your car and you saying man you know MC Hammer's broke, you fooling yourself. You need that to elevate ones self, to make you feel better. You look in your pocket and you got $100, $200 or $300 left, but you say Hammer's broke. If that helps you, brother I don't mind, cause I know what my position is and I understand the mind set. I understand how a person gets in that particular position, but no by all means I'm in great shape. I'm healthier as you can see Davey. The guns are looking good, and we ain't talking about no 45, we talking about the left arm and the right arm. I'm in great physical condition, my mind is focused, I'm blessed. Money has never been an issue with me. I will make and continue to make plenty of money.

Davey D: So what's the deal with your house? We keep hearing it is suppose to be sold, but you still in the same house. Right?

Hammer Oh yeah, I still live in the same place. Been living there for 6 years, but I'll take the first person with 6 million dollars who wants to buy it and I'm taking a 3 million dollar loss on that cause I put 10 million in it. But if you got 6 million, I will sell you the house by all means. Because I want to relocate anyway understand I was 26, 27 years old when I started building the house so I was at that age when you running too fast. And I would not today put more money into my house than into like various businesses. I would diversify more, and so how being enlightened, slow down, focus, having god control more of my thoughts. I would first and foremost diversify. So I'm gonna diversify at this particular time, cause by the grace of god I have that opportunity.[editor's note.. Hammer has since sold his majestic house to a Japanese businessman... It was sold for 5 million dollars..He now lives in Tracy California..].

Davey D: Religion. You always had religious elements in your music. Coming from a gospel background, I've always seen that, but at the same time I know you do run with people that are affiliated with the Orthodox Muslims. What's the deal are you Muslim or Christian or Buddhist. What?

Hammer What I do is try to bridge the gap. You see if our goal is the same, clean up the community, then we are on the same page. Any religion that doesn't teach you to love your brother is not real. Any religion that doesn't teach you to be committed to the community is not real. So I can associate with the brothers in the Islamic religion, for the simple that I know that they are about brotherly love, that they are about community. But my religious affiliation is Christianity and I'm very proud to say so because I understand the history of Christianity. I understand the African, not the African American, origin of man. So when I understand these things, when I say that I'm proud to be a Christian, I am truly proud to be Christian like. The characteristics of Christ which is the very essence of love.

Davey D: For people hearing this or reading this interview. What are the 1 or 2 things that you would like to leave with them so that they have a better understanding of hammer? What would be the last words, last thought, last comments?

Hammer Well my last comments would be life is too precious and Too Short for us not to appreciate it. Let's not let music, something we all grew up on, everything from Marvin Gaye to the Temptations, control us. We use to use the music to cherish the moment. If something meant something to us, we would go get the record and reminisce. Let's not let the music of today mean anything thing else than something we listen to for enjoyment. And let that uplift you and be a blessing to your life versus something that is pulling you down.

Davey D: Cool.

I havent bothered to read through all the posts, but anyway... Hammer being 'real' doesn't make him better than Jigga, Jigga 'selling out' doesn't make him worse than Hammer. I got a lotta respect for both guys, but if we're going straight battle/beef... is there even a contest? Jigga would rip Hammer to shreds. That diss is up there with Nas - Ether? Really? REALLY? Is it even a diss? Is there even a punchline? I like Hammer, don't get me wrong, but if Nas gets taken to the limit in a beef with Jigga, Hammers chances arent viewable. And I don't even like Jigga that much.

Opinion drastically outweighs common sense sometimes on here, for real! I won't even go into how silly it is to say Jay and Em are overrated, when you're trying to put Hammer above or even close to them. Once again, I like Hammer, i think he's dope, but lets be 'real'.

I havent bothered to read through all the posts, but anyway... Hammer being 'real' doesn't make him better than Jigga, Jigga 'selling out' doesn't make him worse than Hammer. I got a lotta respect for both guys, but if we're going straight battle/beef... is there even a contest? Jigga would rip Hammer to shreds. That diss is up there with Nas - Ether? Really? REALLY? Is it even a diss? Is there even a punchline? I like Hammer, don't get me wrong, but if Nas gets taken to the limit in a beef with Jigga, Hammers chances arent viewable. And I don't even like Jigga that much.

Opinion drastically outweighs common sense sometimes on here, for real! I won't even go into how silly it is to say Jay and Em are overrated, when you're trying to put Hammer above or even close to them. Once again, I like Hammer, i think he's dope, but lets be 'real'.

I respect what you're saying there, what you're saying makes a lot of sense but Hammer has a damn near proven 25 year resume, he has responded to his critics before so damn right he could hold his own against Jigga in any battle, he'd light him up on stage first of all 'cause he did it to a lot of our favorite rappers, even FP wouldn't mess with Hammer, and the proof is in the pudding when it comes to punchlines, check out the lyrics for "Better Run Run" in my signature, those are some dope ass lyrics, he whipped him ol' school style, listen to Hammer's albums, he constantly comes with some sick rhymes, his creativity and energy is top notch.... If it wasn't for him and JJFP there would be no Jigga or Eminem for us to listen to, you need to tell Eminem and Jigga to have more 'common sense' not to open their mouths to diss pioneers in the first damn place, they both need to grow up, bottomline beef is pointless, I hate how kids buy into the garbage, the kids are dillusional to think rappers like Jigga and Em are the only dope rappers, they also need to have more 'common sense', all these so called damn hip hop critics call JJFP and Hammer sellouts while the rappers they praise do commercials too, all the player hating needs to stop, I ain't no hater, I just tell it the way I see it,

when I say they're overrated I ain't saying that they wack, I'm saying that there's other rappers on their level but the critics and fans act like they're the only ones and that's dillusional, there's plenty of talented rappers that should be going multiplatinum not just them....

Edited by bigted

This is getting real deep now, Hammer stands for his principles, I respect that!
http://www.allhiphop.com/stories/features/archive/2010/11/08/22473243.aspx

I'm fully aware of how consistent Hammers resume has been and for how long, but that again doesn't make him a better rapper than Jigga. It seems like you pigeon hole artists by what era they come from, yes Hammers a pioneer, but that doesn't mean that an artist that comes out 5, 10 or 100 years after him isn't a more gifted talent.

As for the punchlines, I don't see any, old skool or otherwise, if Jigga dropped those exact same lyrics you wouldn't be impressed as much, if at all. They're pretty weak, all he's saying is he's gonna knock him out, that's not original or creative IMO. It's a party track, you can't make a diss track that vibing and be taken seriously.

It's all opinion, music is only good or bad by opinion, but sometimes that opinion is so blind we lose sight of what is real. Coz at the end of the day, there's was a lot of wack artists in the 80's and 90's as well as there is today, it's just about what the audience likes at the present time, for example, I hate indie rock music, but the last few years there's been a huge rush of that style taking over the UK charts, so it must be good, otherwise people wouldn't buy it. Whether we like it or not.

For Eminem being overrated, he's far from it, he deserves every accolade he gets, he deserves every ounce of respect he gets, he's arguably one of, if not the best lyricist out there now or ever. He belongs on that pedastal, other artists are underrated.

Edited by Big Willie

LL Cool J's "Jingling Baby" dissed Kool Moe Dee and it was a party track so that's wack too? Speaking of originality, can you tell me what's so original about Jay-Z over the last 10 years or so? It seems like he raps about material, street violence, and sex on every song, sure he has more talent but he's a negative influence to the youth like 50 Cent, if 50 Cent said he didn't believe in God in his songs he'd get crucified but Jay-Z gets a free pass 'cause he got "skills", thank God that there's still real artists like MC Hammer out there still, it's more than just about skills when it comes to real hip hop like I mentioned before, Will said it best on "Lost and Found" how there's fake rappers who don't believe what they say no more....
as far as Eminem, there's no denying his talent but
he's also a negative influence for the youth who listen
to him, he curses a million times on record but at home he
don't curse at all, there's kids out there that're foul mouth
and disrespectful to authority because of Eminem's music...

Edited by bigted

LL Cool J's "Jingling Baby" dissed Kool Moe Dee and it was a party track so that's wack too? Speaking of originality, can you tell me what's so original about Jay-Z over the last 10 years or so? It seems like he raps about material, street violence, and sex on every song, sure he has more talent but he's a negative influence to the youth like 50 Cent, if 50 Cent said he didn't believe in God in his songs he'd get crucified but Jay-Z gets a free pass 'cause he got "skills", thank God that there's still real artists like MC Hammer out there still, it's more than just about skills when it comes to real hip hop like I mentioned before, Will said it best on "Lost and Found" how there's fake rappers who don't believe what they say no more....

as far as Eminem, there's no denying his talent but

he's also a negative influence for the youth who listen

to him, he curses a million times on record but at home he

don't curse at all, there's kids out there that're foul mouth

and disrespectful to authority because of Eminem's music...

I didn't saying a party track as a diss makes it wack, Jingling Baby is a banger, but, its not a diss track, he just goes at Kool in it for a few bars, its not a complete diss track, but even so, it has sick punchlines in it, punchlines that arent evident in Hammers Jay diss. Just becuase you don't think Jigga has been original/creative over the past 10 years or so doesnt make Better Run Run creative or original. Its merely that you like Hammer more, so you cant be objective. I hate this term 'real artists', what does that actually mean? You think they're real coz you like them, thats what it boils down to.

How can you bring up the negative influence gig when you rave so much about KRS One? Even though he's holding a gun in both his first 2 album covers. I'm not hatiing on KRS, but once again, its about what you like, you like KRS, so you ignore his negativity, you're not so much of a fan as Em's so you pin point him as negative, even though he's one of the more positive rappers to be in the mainstream over the last decade, and releases positive songs as singles successfully, something not many others, including the 'real' artists do. Truth is, there was just as much negative influence when hip hop started as there is now, we're just more aware of it because media controls the world and publicises it more these days.

And BTW, saying you don't believe in God in a song isnt a bad thing, because you don't have to believe in God, its a choice. Once again it boils down to, you believe in God, so you have a problem with it. I don't believe in God, but yet I still don't have a problem when an artist talks about how great God/religion is, for example, I think DMX's Lord Give Me A Sign is one of his best ever.

if you want me to post all the lyrics to 'lost and found' i'll do it, that explains the difference between real and fake, lost and found.... krs was standing up for the malcolm x principles, listen to those albums, there was always a positive message there...

if you want me to post all the lyrics to 'lost and found' i'll do it, that explains the difference between real and fake, lost and found.... krs was standing up for the malcolm x principles, listen to those albums, there was always a positive message there...

Dont worry man, I know the lyrics, but you'll also find that Will rates Jigga highly, so probably doesn't see him as fake. Especially since he signed his daughter, haha.

Im aware of his positive message, but if you go in a record store and see those KRS covers, you're not thinking positive is gonna be the content are you? Being honest?

BTW Ted, I'm think the lyrics are wrong in your signature. Sounds like "Yo Jay, I got a reason to doubt" to me.

krs-one likes soulja boy so does that make him a top rapper? let's make it clear, it's not like i hate all the new rappers out these days either 'cause i do like rhymefest, b.o.b, lupe.... btw, jigga's the one who needs to stop hating in the first place, hammer didn't start the battle, jigga disrespected him and as a man hammer has a right to stand up for himself as a man for what he believes in after he was dissed, that's what's real as a fact, once again it doesn't matter how much 'skills' he got,
that's what's opinion, real hip hop is much deeper than that...

Edited by bigted

Liking Soulja Boy is one thing, but would he put him top 10? Probably not, would he put Jigga top 10? More likely.

I'm down for Hammer defending himself, being a man and standing up. But he didn't exactly go 'hard' did he? Lets face it. Dissing people and beefing is played out, I agree, but if it did go beef/battle full on, I'm willing to bet on Jigga still being victorious. Yeah I get it, Hammer is real, hes the roots, he came from the gutter and made it, I get all that, but again, his life story still doesn't make him a better rapper than Jigga. When it comes down to whose the better rapper, it is all about skills. If we're talking whose the better person, who stayed more humble or who represents what hip hop originated as, then yeah, Hammer probably takes it. But thats not gonna win him a battle against Jay.