JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

BACK TO BACK ID4 SEQUELS - WILL SMITH LOCKED?

JumpinJack AJ

• 2 weeks later...

I watched the interview you posted above. The host is rather horrible.  I suppose I have an interest in the film, but not excitement.  I'm curious if I'll see it in theaters or wait for it to hit DVD.

View image on TwitterThere's going to be an 'Independence Day' sequel. Here's everything that's been declassified.1913721-eDE.jpeg?type=large&width=34&heiFiled by Johnny McNulty | Jun 24, 2015 @ 8:15pm

Will Smith will not be welcoming anyone back to Earth. On the other hand, parts of it will take place off-Earth.

Roland Emmerich, director and producer of the 1996 blockbuster Independence Day, seems practically giddy in these promotional photos for the upcoming sequel, Independence Day: Resurgence. I can imagine why; with the exception of Will Smith, he's reunited the core cast of the original film, including Jeff Goldblum, Bill Pullman, Judd Hirsch, and Vivica A Fox, for a sequel set 20 years after the "War of '96." (I would've gone with "The Big Alien War"...but I'm not a screenwriter.) He's also added Liam Hemsworth, Maika Monroe, Sela Ward, Jessie Usher, and Charlotte Gainsbourg.

cast-590x442-ZK3M.jpg
Tell me which cast members you don't recognize and I'll tell you how old you are.

They all got together for a 30-minute Q&A for members of the press, which you can watch here. Frankly, however, the audio is off (even though this is the official version), so I recommend skipping to the pictures below unless you're a die-hard fan:

On the other end of the spectrum from the 30-minute discussion is this clip, which is literally the shortest promotional teaser I've ever seen:

Here's a preview of what's in store for Resurgence, according to a Fox press release:

We always knew they were coming back. After Independence Day redefined the event movie genre, the next epic chapter delivers global spectacle on an unimaginable scale. Using recovered alien technology, the nations of Earth have collaborated on an immense defense program to protect the planet. But nothing can prepare us for the aliens' advanced and unprecedented force. Only the ingenuity of a few brave men and women can bring our world back from the brink of extinction.

Hollywood boilerplate language though it might be, I'm in. What else do we know about the plot? Well, Jeff Goldblum's character, perhaps because Will Smith didn't come back, is now in charge of Earth Space Defense (which is kind of redundant since Earth is in space...either call it Earth Defense or Space Defense, imaginary Earth bureaucrats!). That's a pretty big promotion from the guy who used to bang the first lady who no one wanted to listen to when he found a countdown. Now that I think of it, they really missed an opportunity to design a website where you solve a puzzle and it leads you to a countdown to the film's release.

Is there anything else Fox released? Well, the really cool photos you see throughout this article, which are mostly of a vehicle called the Moon Tug, which is described as a "forklift for the moon." It will be operated by our protagonist, played by Liam Hemsworth, who used to be a fighter pilot but got demoted to super-cool moon forklift guy after doing something reckless.

Yeah, totally like a forklift. Just your standard more-advanced-than-all-human-technology-up-to-this-point-combined forklift.

It's powered by technology recovered from the aliens after the first film (although if you recall, we've had their tech since the 1948 crash at Roswell, but it never turned on until the Mothership showed up), which apparently has allowed mankind to expand rapidly since defeating the aliens.

1309148244154232423-590x328-wQdV.png
This is a fighter plane with two box fans taped under it, parked on the Battlestar Galactica set. But I'm still excited.

Speaking of Area 51 from the first film, Brent Spiner, who played the spaced-out scientist studying alien technology in the '96 film, will be returning...despite the fact that he was strangled by an angry alien and had his body's nervous system hacked so he could tell the President, "no peace" before the President finally asked if the glass between them was bulletproof (it wasn't). Maybe that casting choice was just their way of saying "If you come back, Will Smith, we'll write you in! I mean, look at what we did with Brent Spiner!"

Anyway, I'm pumped. Here's hoping Liam Hemsworth punches an alien and says "Welcome to the moon."

http://happyplace.someecards.com/movies/theres-going-to-be-an-independence-day-sequel-heres-everything-thats-been-declassified/

I hadn't seen FP's comment about what he current goal is with his acting career.  I'm not against it.  Focus was different and it was DOPE!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Great trailer, and the movie looks to be an awesome addition to the sci-fi genre. It basically addresses and springboard's off of every question I had at the end of ID4 back in 1996... when I was a kid. We've unfortunately never really seen a movie like this, and it's about time. 

Are all of the aliens who attacked dead, or is there a contingent on earth? If there is a contingent on earth, how many, and how much of a problem will they present? Will humans be able to utilize alien technology and integrate it into our own technology... both military and every day. How quickly will we advance if we are able to utilize alien technology, and how will it affect our society? Speaking of society, what has become of world governments, how have the maps been redrawn, who are the big players? Are we seeing civil unrest, wars, unlikely alliances? How did 1996 affect society, governments, religion. And the biggest question... how have we prepared for a possible second engagement.

This universe is rich with stories... the sci-fi stuff, yes... but the human, societal narrative can be compelling as well. How does society respond to such a traumatic, pyrrhic victory? Are we still as petty as we were in 96? Have we splintered, or are we unified?

The writers may or may not have been able to create a great continuation of the original... we'll have to wait to see in theaters... but I'm confused as to why so many people found it hard to imagine what the storylines for a sequel could be when it seems so obvious. Even taking away the sci-fi... society is traumatized and in ruins, and it's not of our own making. That's a compelling story on just those merits.

3 hours ago, VIsqo said:

No will and no aliens on the trailer.

That's because Will isn't in this movie!

I hope he is not going to regret not taking a role in this one, it looks great. It's good to see those familiar faces again. Brings back memories! Looking forward to it.

The trailer looks pretty good but other amazing. I'm not gutted he's not in it though.

Mild spoiler below

i am am gutted however to find out how they wrote Will's character out of it. It's not a big spoiler because I read it in an article but they killedSteven Hiller off, he died in 2007 apparently. I feel like when a character dies in game of thrones, you get attached to them. RIP Steven. :(

I've been reading a lot of hate messages towards Will for this (especially after AE)  that he asked 50m (and Jaden in it) and that fox said no to Will. I didn't believe it until I found a lot of news about it.  Is this true ? If it is true that's really really disappointing.  I was hoping he turned it down because he matured as an artist and that money wasn't the main priority but to make a good film and aiming to work with A list directors writers etc. Focus and Concussion remind me of SP or his other films not bad but just not with the right people. Suicide Squad is the only project of his I liked. 

It's hard to be a fan with the direction he went in after mid 2000s. Reading his facebook post and hearing him say how he wants to take artistic risks and new challenges and then learn that he rejected the biggest offer he got,  rejecting QT tells me he's full of it.  Any actor dreams about being in a Tarantino film. I also read why he declined that role and it pissed me off even more. 

It breaks my heart reading all of this about Will on the internet.  But at the same time it's his fault. He had everything and now he dug himself into an unneccessary huge hole.  I'm not saying he's a great actor but we don't have another actor with that amount of charm and swag out there.  

Honestly. I said this since the 90's. Will needs to work with A list directors writers.  He never did. He rejected them.  If focus,  seven pounds,  concussion are the type of movies he's going to do I'd rather he just did sequels to ID BB etc all day. 

Lol, It's not true, Typhoon. There were scheduling conflicts as Will was filming both Concussion and Suicide Squad. They were asking him to commit to two sequels for ID4 and he both wasn't able and wasn't willing to do that. And no, he didn't ask that Jaden be in the ID4 sequels.

No need to be disappointed... none of it is true. It's the internet... people love spreading lies.