JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

BACK TO BACK ID4 SEQUELS - WILL SMITH LOCKED?

JumpinJack AJ

• 2 months later...
Will Smith Won’t Appear In Sequel To ‘Independence Day’
EXCLUSIVE: After spending several years looking to generate a sequel or two to the 1996 Fox smash hit Independence Day, it looks like director Roland Emmerich and co-writer and producer Dean Devlin are going to have to take on those Earth-leveling aliens without Will Smith. I’m told reliably that Smith informed the studio that he won’t be joining in on a sequel that the filmmakers hope to have in theaters for July 4 weekend, 2016. That marks the 20th anniversary of the 1996 original that grossed $811 million worldwide and launched Smith on a trajectory to become the world’s most bankable movie star.
Now, this doesn’t mean that the ID4 sequel can’t happen. In fact, Fox is very keen to see it through and what studio wouldn’t want another installment of such a big movie? When Emmerich and Devlin wrote the first draft before handing it over to The Amazing Spider-Man scribe James Vanderbilt, they hatched two distinctly different versions of the movie. Vanderbilt has been working on two separate scripts. One has Smith as the centerpiece, and the other takes the battle to the aliens without his cocky hero fighter pilot Captain Steven Hiller. I don’t believe that Smith has had the final conversation yet with Emmerich, but that will likely happen shortly. I was told not to set this in stone, because Smith has been back and forth before on whether to make the movie, though I hear he is pretty much decided.
Smith, who next stars with The Wolf Of Wall Street‘s Margot Robbie in the grifter tale Focus for Warner Bros, is also not expected to reprise his role as Jay in the next Men In Black, as Sony Pictures works on a reboot of that franchise. On that one, it has been incredibly difficult for the studio to make any money despite high ticket sales because of the gross paid to all the high priced principals on the film.
Edited by Ale

He said 15 years he wasn't going to do it. They just want to make "news" by announcing the fact over and over again. I really hope this film falls to pieces before they attempt to make it. I didn't like reading confirmation (again) that they are rebooting MIB. It makes sense that a reboot could be done well, but I feel it's one of the few things FP could do for the rest of his career (until he turned into the Tommy Lee Jones character...lol). He hasn't been choosing many comedies or movies that allow him to give us that Fresh Prince style comedy. I miss that. I think most people do.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm not paying more than $5 to see this movie.  That either means I'm seeing it at the ghetto movie theater or when it hits the $5 bin at Walmart.  It seems impossible that they can make this movie relevant and not just an attempt to make money off a great movie from the 90's.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

‘Independence Day 2′ begins filming in Alb​uquerque, NM in May

The first official extras casting call for Independence Day 2 was announced today verifying that not only will the movie be filmed in Albuquerque, NM, but also that it begins filming on May 5.

Independence Day Forever, which is also going by the name ID Forever or its working title IDR, will pick up 20 years after the events of the first film as a new wave of alien “reinforcements” arrive on earth in response to a distress signal sent up by the “first wave” of extraterrestrial visitors.

Will Smith will not be returning for the movie but Bill Pullman and Jeff Goldblum will be back, along with newcomers Liam Hemsworth and Jessie Usher.

http://www.onlocationvacations.com/2015/04/08/independence-day-2-begins-filming-in-albuquerque-nm-in-may/

I've always been against this movie, its a stupid idea and its not the type of film you can make a sequel to..... But since seeing all the old faces return apart from Will, i have just a tiny shred of disapointment. I really do hope it sucks now, if this turns out amazing and Wills not in it, im gonna be mad.

I'm against the film too.  The ONLY reason to revisit it is to make money.  There's no reason to revisit this story.  I admit that since many of the original characters are returning, I have a little bit of an interest, only because they are iconic characters, but I doubt I'll see it in theaters.  I don't wanna put my money into this nonsense.